Siting of mini-greenhouse

• 6 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:11 »
Hi all,  have a question for all the greenhouse experts on here. Being a veg growing novice (apart from growing runner beans successfully year before last). Am going at the weekend to buy a mini greenhouse from Argos.  My questions is, which of the following two places is the best from a siting point of view.

a. Against a south facing wall - Would the seeds cook and get too much heat even with the front flap open.

b.  Against an east facing wall.  Gets plenty of sun up till about 1ish.

grateful for your advice

Claire

paintedlady

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:00 »
Why not try Wilkos - I found them much cheaper unless they are on sale?

As a mini greenhouse can be moved around more easily than a static one, so I would definitely go for a south facing wall during winter/early spring.  With the flap open, it will soon cool down if you are at all concerned - get a little thermometer as well if you want.  It does get amazingly warm and humid even in this sunshine but I found this quickly warms up the soil in seed trays and speeds up germination! :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:26 »
I got the four tier one from Woollies sale a few weeks ago - £14.99

noshed

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10 »
3tiers Poundland £9.99.
The most important thing is to tie it down and put bricks or something on the bottom shelf.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:17 »
I have got one of the Large Walk In Greenhouses about 6' x 5' and I guess just over 6' in height.  It is great for tomatoes, cucumbers etc and for growing on things in spring.  The only issue I have is that the plastic cover gives out after 2/3 years.  At about £50 it is reasonable value as you can buy replacement covers although I can't remember how much they cost.  I have mine, in spring/summer against the wall of my south facing house and usually leave the "door" rolled up and secured during the day although closed overnight in early spring.  Whilst I also have one of the smaller standalone plastic greenhouses it doesn't get much use as I find it too small and more difficult to manage the temperature.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 14:25 »
I use mine (I have a couple of the little ones, and have just bought a walk-in) in the spring against a south-facing wall.  In the summer, I either move them into partial shade, or leave them in the sun but take the cover off during the day, depending on what's there.  You can bring a tomato plant on weeks earlier than you would outside, for midsummer salads.  The walk-in won't be able to go into the shade, so I'll have to grow things that like really scorching sun this year!

GreenOwl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 14:46 »
Quote from: "Stripey_cat"
The walk-in won't be able to go into the shade, so I'll have to grow things that like really scorching sun this year!

We all hope and pray.

xx
greenhouse siting

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 16:11
by subaru
xx
Mini-greenhouse

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 21:36
by GafferGamgee
xx
Mini greenhouse

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 23:34
by moz
xx
Mini greenhouse

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 01:17
by chili

Page created in 0.648 seconds with 36 queries.