Marigolds and companion planting.

• 8 Replies

sharky

• Experienced Member
« on: March 12, 2008, 17:16 »
Hello,

As I am growing organically I want to plant some marigolds in my veggie patch, it will also brighten it up too! I bought some seeds today and the seeds look strange strange to say the least!  :?

My main question is (if perhaps a silly one!), does one individual seed turn into a whole plant?

If i am planting into a tray full of cells, how many seeds are recommended per cell?

Many thanks growers.  :)

matron

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 17:37 »
Yup, one seed = one plant.
Depends on size of cells but I would only put one seed in one cell.
As someone new to growing a couple of years ago I read to grow marigolds with tomatoes - so I did. I grew ?Jester marigolds which grew almost as tall as the tomato plants :oops:  I now grow the little ones and I can get into my greenhouse.  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 17:42 »
I sow them into large cell  trays often, one each. They grow amazingly big roots quite fast.

And the  seed is thin and long with little feathery bit for flying easily in the wind. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

puravida

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 18:01 »
I planted nasturtiums for the first time last year and they really brightened up the place. Really prolific flowerers.

Ate a couple just to try them - bit like watercress.

I'll be growing more this year for sure.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 22:10 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I sow them into large cell  trays often, one each. They grow amazingly big roots quite fast.

And the  seed is thin and long with little feathery bit for flying easily in the wind. :lol:

Very good! I'll get onto it tomorrow.  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:22 »
i was wondering about marigolds , keeping the soil good specially when its got problems I'm growing some at the moment for that purpose about how many plants would i need for a stretch of ground 5/6 metres long and 1 1/2 deep , Ive planted one packet of french marigolds will i need more  :?:
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:56 »
Quote from: "chrissie B"
i was wondering about marigolds , keeping the soil good specially when its got problems I'm growing some at the moment for that purpose about how many plants would i need for a stretch of ground 5/6 metres long and 1 1/2 deep , Ive planted one packet of french marigolds will i need more  :?:
Chrissie b

Each plant gets amazingly bushy for its size - I planted a "row" about 2 metres long and had 15 plants - they soon formed a solid mini hedge, so a WHOLE packet should be more than enough I would have thought :lol:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:37 »
I grow the mini versions, get about 6 inches tall.. gonna grown LOADS more this year

gobs

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:57 »
Will hugely depend on the particular variety you grow, African marigolds are big plants like a small rose or tomato bush but French marigolds can greatly vary in size, too, refer to your seed packet, of the smaller ones, as SG says for a carpet of them, you could pack in every ten cm or so, that is 15x60 plants. And again number of seeds in a packet will differ by supplier.

xx
what companion planting??

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 17:01
by Swing Swang
xx
companion planting

Started by sweetpea84 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 23:58
by mrsbean
xx
Companion planting:

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 14:33
by DD.
xx
companion planting

Started by kenny199 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 22:10
by muckshifter

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 28 queries.