companion planting

• 4 Replies

sweetpea84

• My diary of allotmenting in Gravesend
companion planting
« on: June 03, 2016, 20:49 »
This year is the first year I have been able to grow on my allotment as I got it too late to start it off in time for summer last year (had everything in pots on my balcony instead).

I decided to do a spot of companion planting, having seen others do it. I planted sunflowers, french marigolds and french / dwarf beans all together and was quite happy with that. In another bed I planted runner beans and beetroot (for the leaves not for the root).

I was then pointed in the direction of a companion planting chart by another allotment holder who (rightly according to the chart) showed me that these combinations are said not to work.

I duly went off to research it on the internet and was met with lots of conflicting advice. The thing is, my mum plants marigolds and beans together and I have successfully grown beets and runners together in the past. Despite the internet saying that sunflowers and beans don't do well together, so far mine seem to be looking quite happy.

So is everyone on the internet wrong or have i just been lucky not to mess up the veg in the past? Clarification would be most welcome!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: companion planting
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:03 »
If you and your mum have successfully grown the combinations that you have just replicated, I really wouldn't worry  :)

Companion planting is something some people swear by, but as you have found, there are all sorts of different advice out there and it is far from an exact science.  Actually that is true of most gardening.  Ask 6 gardeners, get 12 answers  :lol: 

Best bet is try a few combos - there are some that pop up a lot - if they work for you, stick with them.  If not, ditch them  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:42 »
Not many companion planting ideas have much in the way of a scientific explanation as to how they are supposed to work, although there is no doubt that various Tagetes species produce chemicals with insecticidal and insect repelling properties.

Not scientific proof, because I've never not grown French marigolds alongside my tomatoes and other plants, but for what it's worth I've never had a greenfly or whitefly problem in the GH. The effect is probably less outdoors, but then again they help to attract pollinating insects which is obviously helpful for some flowering crops.

Never been convinced about the argument for 'sacrificial' companion planting (e.g. nasturtiums near beans) - to deliberately attract and then establish a large breeding colony of blackfly next to vulnerable crops doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Even the wackiest ideas are probably pretty harmless in the great scheme of things though - each to their own.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 20:08 »
I think beans near onions is a bit of a no-no
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrsbean

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 23:58 »
Snap about the nasturtiums, it then took me 2yrs to get rid of the seeds that kept popping up everywere.

xx
Companion planting

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 12:17
by compostqueen
xx
Companion Planting

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:46
by compostqueen
xx
what companion planting??

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 17:01
by Swing Swang
xx
Companion planting.

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 22:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 38 queries.