Dig the frost in

• 7 Replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
Dig the frost in
« on: November 30, 2023, 18:31 »
Do you folks dig the frost in, or just leave the soil as it is? Does digging the frost in actually improve the soil, or is it just a myth?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Dig the frost in
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 18:54 »
I've never heard of digging the frost in tbh.
I was always told to rough dig and leave the divots on the surface so freezing and then thawing would turn them into fine topsoil. If you bury the frosted earth, wouldn't it take longer to thaw out/warm up at winter's end?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 20:11 »
Before I converted to No dig I understood that you most definitely didn’t turn the frost,frozen ground in as that would keep it colder under ground. Like Mum, I understood that you rough dug the ground and left the frost to break it down. No dig does away from all of that :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 11:09 »
That's a new one on me!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 13:29 »
I can't see that turning the frosted soil over would leave the soil colder for spring planting.  Even turning over the soil a spade's depth, you would place the frosted earth beneath the surface (where it is slightly warmer). I suspect neither a net-colder nor net-warmer effect would be observed. I've no 'data' to back me up, nor do I plan to collect any!  :D

Frost does heave soil "clods" apart, so the frost can help accomplish that.  This would be especially helpful with soil that has been compacted, or newly-dug soil (or at least soil not worked for a long time).  This was more of a benefit when I lived and gardened up north (Indiana).  It frosts here too, but typically not very deep (soil frozen more than an inch deep is rare here).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 14:42 »
Yeah, I was digging frantically last week knowing this cold snap was coming, trying to have it ready for the frost to break down my heavy clay soil a bit. Someone mentioned digging the frost in at work, was just wondering if you folks did

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 13:34 »
I've always been told never to dig in frosty ground as it takes longer for the soil to warm up come spring and through experience rough winter digging but  not digging in frost does break down the more heavier soils much better for spring cultivation when I worked on the farm we  used to plough the fields before the winter set in and it made a better tilth when drilling seed or cultivating potato ground 

pepsi100

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 10:36 »
Thats a new one on my
My Dad dug the garden over, left it for the frost to break it up, he left it over the winter, then come spring, just raked it over, broke up any clods that didnt break down
He like planting spuds, he tried cabbages once but the caterpillars ate the lot
Tried carrots, plenty of foliage, nothing below the surface
He dragged us over the fields gathering horse and cow manure (non of us liked going over there, but we were kids :nowink:
It's all about the journey, not the destination

xx
First Frost

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 05, 2006, 11:33
by muntjac
xx
Frost

Started by Ryan1uk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 15:56
by Diddy Gardener
xx
frost

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 14:55
by mjg000
xx
Frost -

Started by The Thin Blue Line on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post December 20, 2007, 10:31
by Annie

Page created in 1.468 seconds with 40 queries.