Stuff you won't bother with in future

• 40 Replies

wolveryeti

Re: Stuff you won't bother with in future
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2023, 00:02 »
White Cucumbers. Grew them this year as I thought they looked cool, but they all grew massive with tough inedible skin and horribly bitter flesh even when peeled...

Goosegirl

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2023, 08:48 »
Unfortunately it's sweet corn. Both last year's and this were tough and rather tasteless despite being fed and watered better than I used to do when at our old cottage. I've always grown them in a greenhouse as the winds at the cottage were rather strong to say the least and they were lovely there but not here. I've grown Swift.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2023, 17:16 »
Purple cherry tomatoes, I’d seen them in the supermarket and thought they would be an interesting addition. I should have bought some and tasted them first ::) They are utterly tasteless and took ages to ripen. Just need to find something else to grow alongside Sungold next year.
I would recommend sweet aperitif, very good flavour.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2023, 17:18 »
Maybe chard. I grew it because it was pretty (rainbow variety) and it really was very instagrammable. I made every chard recipe from Nigel Slater's Tender book and came to the conclusion that it really doesn't taste very nice.
Rainbow chard is a total fraud. The one worth growing for eating is the boring old , non insta worthy silver chard.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2023, 17:20 »
Im still on the fence about this, but Im considering adding Tromoncino to the list. I have huge vines that have only produced 2 edible squash.

I grow Tromboncino after squash vine borers finish off my first courgette planting of the season. The borers dont get them but the (later) pickle worm do, so maybe I should just grow them early, with the courgettes?
My allotment neighbour grows Tromboncino and proudly gives me one every year, don’t have the heart to tell him I don’t like them. Courgettes are better IMHO.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2023, 02:14 »

My allotment neighbour grows Tromboncino and proudly gives me one every year, don’t have the heart to tell him I don’t like them. Courgettes are better IMHO.

Fortunately, I have a "post vine borer" planting of courgettes already in the ground (10 gallon pots).  The plants have their first male buds developing, and a significant cool-off is not expected for at least 45 days.  There is a reasonable chance we will have October courgettes, possibly even November.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 14:10 »
My plot patrner has hinted that she prefers butternut so I'll probs ditch summer squash next year.  Shame really, the flying saucer pattypans appeal to the child in me

Ali T

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2023, 20:30 »
Probably Redbor kale - looked fantastic, grew really well and tasted okay (Not as good as Tuscan imo) but BOY did it grow! I only had 4 plants and they almost burst out of the netting cage, then when I removed the netting I was almost blown away by the massive cloud of whitefly - my bad, I hadnt noticed them before it was too late, will pick something a little less rampant next year.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 09:54 »
I’m sorry you struggled with beetroot this year and last Growster.
However you may want to consider a pressure cooker if you want to cook them rapidly if you do have any.

We roast them in the oven, peel and freeze to give us a year long supply.

cc

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2023, 16:40 »
Gourd Snake Green
These are the beans used by Jack, of jack and the bean stalk fame.

jaydig

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2023, 19:01 »
For me it is cucumbers….a lot of hassle for no return ( we do well with courgettes) and we rarely buy them.
Also Romanesco califlowers….🤔
I have had more success with the mini cucumbers, probably picking between four and six every day.  Good job my grandchildren and the children next door love them!

xx
Planning for the future

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 21:19
by Yorkie
xx
Thinking about the future.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 14:23
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Preparing for the future

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 08:49
by Offwego
xx
Back to the future spuds!

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 17:56
by Iain@JBA

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.