Kestrel

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

Kestrel
« on: August 21, 2020, 08:49 »
when i was thinking  about what potatoes to grow this year because we had had serious slug and worm damage  last year i decided to grow Kestrel so when the lockdown came we where much later planting our potatoes but   i was told by some of our members that a late planting was not a problem with Kestrel and that i would still have a decent crop

and that advise  has been very true we have a bumper crop of Kestrel some potatoes very large a really good crop best grown for crop for some years even better than Cara and  Desiree so to those who gave me those reassurances its a big thank you to you all

rowlandwells

Re: Kestrel
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11 »

when i wrote the topic we had only just started to dig our potatoes so yesterday i took the tractor down and using my scuffle we scuffled the lot out and as i said before what a crop other plot holders just couldn't believe what we cropped large and i mean large potatoes never had a crop like this before even the wife and me can't believe both the size and quantity and quality of this variety we had 10 /25kl bags full of potatoes of the plot and we never set the hole plot with potatoes

and i reiterate i just can't thank those who gave me good advise on this site for growing Kestrel very very much appreciated

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 12:20 »
I've grown them for some years and they are normally pretty good. Interestingly this year we had two lots in raised beds. One lot were mostly in topsoil and we had quite a lot of scab on those. The others were in compost and grew well and were a good size. I suspect your soil is in a good state. I will be growing them next year as my main keeping spud as I lost half my Desiree to rot with all this recent rain. Kestrel as a second early don't need so long as you said. You can start them after the frosts and still get a good crop before the now traditional August rains!!

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 08:37 »
yes bayleaf the soil is quite good where they where planted took a little time and plenty of manure to get the soil in good condition

but I'm  a bit unsure what's going to happen next potato growing season because we are planting on another plot that's not the best of soils we sown a crop mustard on this plot last month to see if this helps to put some goodness back in the ground but its going to be a suck it and see thing

anyway I'm pleased you got a crop of potatoes and that you intend growing Kestrel next season

xx
kestrel

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 20:09
by Growster...
xx
Kestrel tayties

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 14:13
by New shoot
xx
Kestrel Potatoes

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 23:21
by WirralWally
xx
Just found some Kestrel

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 14:40
by Salmo

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 32 queries.