Kestrel Potatoes

• 8 Replies

fatbelly

Kestrel Potatoes
« on: July 18, 2010, 19:44 »
On the recommendation of DD and others on this site, this season I grew Kestrel Potatoes.

I lifted the first plant today (they have been in the ground for 17 weeks) and the crop I got off the one plant is superb. Not a mark on them and not touched by slugs or any other nasties, on one spud there was small amount of scab but I am not bothered about that given I will be peeling them.

One question, how long should they be in the ground for is 17 weeks to early or about right

I only hope the rest are as good.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Kestrel Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 20:07 »
You can lift them as you want them, or leave them until they die back..for biggest yield.
It is entirely up to you.........all I can say is.....mine have all been eaten :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 20:46 »
Kestral are great. I gew some this year in a really rough piece of my plot - reclaimed from the overgrown bank next to my plot last year.  The soil is shocking despite digging in a whole heap of compost and I've just dug up my crop of lurvely spuds  :D  And they've broken the soil down beautifully  :D  :D  :D

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 20:50 »
One for next year then - I nearly got them for this year and now am determined to try some!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 19:52 »
Lifted another kestrel plant today and again the harvest was first class. About 6 or 7 good size spuds that had no marks or blemish's on them and had not been touched by Slugs or anything else.

I have another 20 plants to lift but on the showing so far Kestrels will be at the top of my Spud buying list come next February.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 20:00 »
I have converted my DD to growing kestrel too as the flavour is great as well as a high yield  :D She ws sceptical...no more!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 22:30 »
I see on the databse they say the blackleg resistance is very good on Kestrel too. I'm going to be shopping for blackleg resistance next year as I've been hit hard by it this year and I can't do rotation because I only have one bit of ground I can use for spuds. Has anyone had blackleg problems with them or do you agree with the databse on that?

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 23:13 »
Grew a few Kestrel this year - no growing problems at all and a very nice taste. I had blackleg on two lady christl but not on Kestrel.

The only thing is they seem to break up a bit when cooking - you have to really keep your eye on them. Over cook them a bit and they go to mush. Anyone else find that?

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 23:21 »
. . . . . .  there was small amount of scab but I am not bothered about that given I will be peeling them.

Fatbelly, do you really peel them?
I'd have thought that with your second earlies you'd have been able to just wash them.
Any scab should just rub off with a light scouring or with gentle pressure from your thumb nail.

Don't waste good potato by peeling when there shouldn't be anything to peel.  :)
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

xx
kestrel

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 20:09
by Growster...
xx
Kestrel

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2020, 08:37
by rowlandwells
xx
Kestrel tayties

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 14:13
by New shoot
xx
Spuds - Kestrel

Started by Aycliffedigger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 13:58
by Kristen

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 30 queries.