gardening easy in South west France ?

• 5 Replies

jambop

gardening easy in South west France ?
« on: May 18, 2017, 14:52 »
To anybody who from time to time thinks it is the ideal climate for growing veg think again... yesterday and the previous week or so the high low temps have been about 12C night and 26C day last two days it was 30C and it has been dry. Today 12C and hammering down rain with a howling wind veg plot is like a swimming pool. Is it any wonder that I lose a lot of plants in the spring? We get two days of this then its back up into the high twenties and dry again the plants don't what the hell is going on.

arh

Re: gardening easy in South west France ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 15:55 »
Sounds like a polytunnel would be a advantage. (I'd still rather be there than here, :lol:).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 15:59 »
Surely you don't think our weather is any more predictable? We also have the extremes of weather, but without the hot periods, we have colder periods instead.

I'd rather have your warmth *sigh* but let's face it - wherever people garden, they will complain about the weather  :lol: :lol:

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 17:05 »
Hi Jambop

Coincidentally i was thinking of you yesterday when the radar was showing severe thunderstorms over your way. Nothing arrived yesterday, except the same high temps as you experienced. Today, the bottom has dropped out of the thermometer! but steady soaking rain, well received.

As MOS stated, wherever you garden it's always a game of roulette with the weather.

It's still more rewarding, surely, to enjoy the warmer temps, the extended growing season and the wider variety of crops made possible by the latitude.

We're on a winner even though you've had a rough few days. Keep calm, chin up and carry on!

Bon jardinage
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

al78

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 18:16 »
Whereas here in southern England, after months of low rainfall, along comes a slow moving cyclonic rainfest to dump nearly a months rain in two days. Ground now soaking wet, out come the slugs, munch munch munch. The rain is welcome but I hope this isn't yet another transition from one extreme to another (like April 2012).

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 19:02 »
Everywhere has it's problems. And in distant history, most people would normally only grow that which they knew they could rely on. In this country that was mainly oats, grains, beans, dairy and currants/berries.

Us allotmenteers and kitchen garden people are a lucky bunch nowadays and try to grow a really wide range of food that would not normally be possible in one location year in year out. It takes a lot of planning and arranging to crop everything. There are bound to be failures given this desire, given the vagaries of weather everywhere.
I love the challenge of growing the diverse food we have become accustomed to, with an eye on sustainability. Do I plump for cusp growing or do I go fo risk free crops.  :D

xx
north to south or east to west

Started by elfy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 10:52
by goodtogrow
xx
pest of the west south east really

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 18:49
by Vitoria plum
xx
Bean Row direction - East/West or North/South - Help needed

Started by Kentishman2004 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 20:59
by gobs
xx
Gardening Too Easy!?

Started by MegC1991 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 09:55
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 38 queries.