north to south or east to west

• 12 Replies

elfy

north to south or east to west
« on: April 06, 2012, 18:32 »
 Hi thought i would ask your opinions on which way to sow ,N to S or E to W ,have read in books favouring both ways . I usually plant E to W but have taken on a new allotment so am starting from scratch again.Glad to hear your thoughts  cheers Elfy  ???

Headgardener22

Re: north to south or east to west
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 18:36 »
I always plant rows north-south so that the sun goes up the middle of the row and the plants don't shade each other (however, its probably also because its the way I've laid it out). It probably doesn't make any difference at all.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 18:36 »
Plant east to west in beds that are north to south to maximise light.  Just don't stress about it if you can't get it exact, it will all be ok. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 18:38 »
Plant east to west in beds that are north to south to maximise light. 

Its the opposite way round in our patch to maximise the east -> west path of the sun. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 18:41 »
I always plant rows north - south if the bed size permits.  That way the sun can get down each side of the row equally, and there aren't any 'front' rows to shade the rows 'behind'
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 18:47 »
I'm right, you're all wrong.  :tongue2:  Actually, there is no right or wrong way of doing it either way something is bound to shade something else unless you only have one row and not several.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:46 »
Direct sunlight provides more light than plants need.  An average of 45 units (candellas or lumens, can't remember which) is what plants need, about 90 units is what direct sunlight provides - ref 'Principles of Horticulture' Bamford et al.

There's enough 'bounced' light, off the soil and other plants on an open allotment to meet those needs.  Direct sunlight is positively harmful for some crops and planting to produce partial shade is a good strategy.  With all the talk of watering bans I think that plants which are partially protected from direct sunlight will do better than those exposed.

The East - West debate applies most to the orientation of greenhouses, to capture summer sun, but also to receive more Northern light in the winter.

Tekky stuff like this some people might find boring, so I apologise to them here and now!  Good luck everyone however you go about your growing.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

allot2learn

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:50 »
I feel that the correct spacing of plants is more beneficial than orientation. It's works for me anyway.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:42 »
Even at the summer solstice the sun doesn't track directly overhead at our latitudes so I think giving thought to what will create shade and where (both now and when the crops grow to their expected size) is probably the most important consideration.

Some crops need full sun to deliver in our short summers, some don't mind, or even welcome, a bit of shade.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:56 »
Agree jayG, that some plants welcome more sun than others.  But under conditions of water shortage in the soil they can't use it.  Direct sun will drive the plant more than it can cope with under these conditions.

Tomato plants can wilt during the day, even when fully established, only to revive themselves in the cool, and lower light, of the evening, because they can still get enough water then to stay turgid.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 10:15 »
Agree jayG, that some plants welcome more sun than others.  But under conditions of water shortage in the soil they can't use it.  Direct sun will drive the plant more than it can cope with under these conditions.

Watering is certain to be an issue for many this year, but plants which are already a bit marginal in our climate (e.g. sweet corn and many winter squashes) still need to be grown in full sun otherwise they just won't deliver.

We are already getting plenty of posts about irrigation and water conservation and I suspect there will be a lot more before summer's over!  :)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:52 »
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, JayG.  If we avoid growing those plants that need full sun, because we're expecting water shortages, we won't have a problem.  :)

xx
Bean Row direction - East/West or North/South - Help needed

Started by Kentishman2004 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 20:59
by gobs
xx
pest of the west south east really

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 18:49
by Vitoria plum
xx
Capers in south east England?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 00:33
by Auntiemogs
xx
Hosepipe Ban Lifted For South East Water.

Started by getoffmyland on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 12:43
by Dopey113

Page created in 1.085 seconds with 38 queries.