Gardening Too Easy!?

• 24 Replies

solway cropper

Re: Gardening Too Easy!?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 20:35 »
The main reason I don't buy any of the national dailies is because most of the content is drivel.

I suppose we can take comfort from the fact that this time the Mail wasn't blaming immigrants or the E.U.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 20:41 »
The main reason I don't buy any of the national dailies is because most of the content is drivel.

I suppose we can take comfort from the fact that this time the Mail wasn't blaming immigrants or the E.U.

You forgot  IMO from the first sentence and it's you taking comfort, in the second - please don't assume everyone shares your point of view   ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 20:47 »
We've evicted 6 out of 35 plots this autumn.  More than in previous years.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 20:53 »
We've evicted 6 out of 35 plots this autumn.  More than in previous years.

Were those longer standing members who were unable to manage, or newbies who never really got going?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 20:59 »
Here they have sent out 3 warning letters and 2 eviction notices.

It's a shame that the warning letters were sent to people who have already been warned - I believe that they've already had enough time to put things right. Bearing in mind that these are all half size (or smaller) plots, if the tenants continue to do nothing the plots won't get re-let until April  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 21:08 »
Three were longer standing tenants who just did not show up enough to tend their plots at any acceptable level.  The others were new gardeners who were so excited to be given a plot a year ago and believed that an hour every couple of weeks would be all it needed.

We have now introduced a Probationary Tenancy Agreement for a fixed term of one year.  New plotters will only then be given a annually renewable tenancy agreement if they manage to make a good effort for the first year.  

allot2learn

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 21:11 »
On ours they get 30 days notice to make an effort. If they can't do something to show that they have made a start, except in extenuating circumstances, then they get seven days notice to leave. I think that even two hours work can show that an effort has been made, but even that seems to be outside the scope of some. It probably proves that they don't need an allotment in the first place.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 21:45 »
We have now introduced a Probationary Tenancy Agreement for a fixed term of one year.  New plotters will only then be given a annually renewable tenancy agreement if they manage to make a good effort for the first year.  

What a good idea  :) 

We have had one established plot holder give up this year, but he was really getting too frail to carry on and was worrying us each time he came and one who was kicked off for lack of effort. 

The rest of the plots that have come up have been passed from hand to hand every couple of years for a while now and are getting steadily more overgrown  ::)  12 months is more than enough time to have made a decent effort and means the plot is not such a nightmare for the next newbie  :)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 09:17 »
anyway anybody with a lick of sense should know the presenters of the show do not do it all themselves ::) ::)   

You only need to see Monty Don turn purple picking up a trowel :D

simonwatson

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 09:55 »
When I got my plot in September last year I knew it would be hard work at the start. There were willow trees to dig out and a lot of weeding to do. I set up raised beds and paved paths with weed suppressant underlay. I also put weed matting between the raspberry rows and around the permanent fruit bushes. All in all I spent a lot of time over the first six months and even then didn't get it all done before the start of the sowing and growing season.

However, that effort at the start paid off towards the end of the year. The raised beds stay soft so manuring and digging them only takes a half hour or so. Hoeing is a doddle as I just walk around the paths at the edge of each bed.

I probably only need to spend an hour or two a week at the plot in the height of summer to keep the weeds at bay and water the beds if needed.

What I'm trying to say is that if you plan and do some up front work, you can make an allotment a fairly easy thing to have.

xx
gardening easy in South west France ?

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 19:02
by victoria park
xx
Is it really this easy ?

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 22:21
by MrsMak
xx
Easy PEAsy

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 21:49
by Yorkie
xx
What is easy to grow that can go in now?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:05
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 29 queries.