Gardening Too Easy!?

• 24 Replies

MegC1991

Gardening Too Easy!?
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:51 »
Hi All,

Just spotted this article, and I wondered if anyone agreed with the sentiments?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250327/Gardening-shows-blame-rise-allotment-evictions-waiting-lists-decade.html

Just speaking from the experience of our Allotment, there have been more evicition notices recently, although we have become an Allotment Association now, so it's down to the Committee rather than the Council to serve these notices, so I would guess that is also a factor/
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."- Abraham Lincoln

Steve_LF

Re: Gardening Too Easy!?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:02 »
Dormant plots are certainly a problem, we have about 20 plots on our one, with only about half of them regularly maintained and if lucky the council inspects about once a year.

I think it does come as a shock to people that plots require regular maintenance, not sure that gardening programs are to blame though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:03 by Steve_LF »

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:05 »
My Town Council was mentioned there. I must have missed those tenancy changes, particularly the bit about manuring. I use green manure. I don't buy in animal manure because of the risk of aminoparalid (sp?). I do fertilise/feed though and keep the plot clean.

ETA: There are quite a few neglected plots on our site though. When evictions take place the council split full plots into half plots now to cut down the waiting list.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:06 by pdblake »

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:29 »
I don't understand why a council would insist a plot was well manured - seems a bit odd.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:33 »
This year's terrible weather has driven a few of our people off, mostly the ones with little experience who didn't realise how much time you have to put in, without any reward sometimes.
Anne

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:39 »
I don't understand why a council would insist a plot was well manured - seems a bit odd.

I've just emailed them to ask.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:55 »
To keep the soil in good condition.... lots of compost would do the same job :)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:02 »
Well they replied, pretty quickly too. They first sent a copy and paste of the relevant rule, then when I asked them to define manure they said this:

"Beverley Town Council requires plot holders to keep their allotments in a fertile condition and we cannot insist on the type of manure which is used.
"

Which is most reassuring. ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:03 by pdblake »

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:07 »

My agreement says the same thing. It is very outdated as it also includes a section about keeping rabbits as livestock!

There is no realistic way of inspecting that rule anyway unless they want to go digging into your soil, which they surely wouldn't?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09 »
There is no realistic way of inspecting that rule anyway unless they want to go digging into your soil, which they surely wouldn't?

Agreed, but surely it's in your own interest to keep your soil in good condition  :blink:

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13 »

Agreed, but surely it's in your own interest to keep your soil in good condition  :blink:

Of course, but whether you choose to do this through using 'manure' or another medium or method realistically remains the growers choice

I do pretty much agree with the article I have to say

What I will add is that allotment owners, whether private or councils, could do more to keep on top of neglected plots. My plot was in a sorry old state when I took it over and I have recently been told by the lady on the plot nextdoor that mine hadn't been used for over 3 years
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:24 by Jamrock »

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49 »
I asked them to define manure they said this:

"Beverley Town Council requires plot holders to keep their allotments in a fertile condition and we cannot insist on the type of manure which is used."

ah, much better phrased   ;)

As for the article, I'm inclined to think that some of the tv gardening programmes can be inspiring and help to bring in new blood to the allotments, but it is not new to find that many who take a plot on decide it is not for them.  Sadly that realisation is after several months of weed cultivation before acknowledging the truth. 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 13:03 »
Blaming gardening programmes for not managing a plot is like yesterday's story of chef recipes causing obesity...

7 plots have become vacant this year on our site, none from newbies. I think it depends on the site, how it's managed and to a small extent whether people help each other. Our Lettings Sec is very up front about the time commitment it involves when she's showing people round.

I do wish that there were more sites though - it took well over 5 years for me to get my half plot, and short of a miracle it will take about 10 years for me to get another!

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 17:02 »
I think the source of the article says a lot about it. If the Mail didn't have something to be scared about, moan about or blame somebody for it would shrivel up and die( I wish).
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

dugless

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 17:30 »
Not supprising we are in the lay the blame society as long as it is not them  :tongue2: anyway anybody with a lick of sense should know the presenters of the show do not do it all themselves ::) ::)   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 20:51 by sunshineband »
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
gardening easy in South west France ?

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 19:02
by victoria park
xx
Is it really this easy ?

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 22:21
by MrsMak
xx
Taking it easy

Started by celeriac on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 08:05
by celeriac
xx
Swede, is it easy?

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post November 23, 2006, 07:12
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.673 seconds with 38 queries.