Have decided now need advice please

• 17 Replies

igorina

« on: January 23, 2008, 23:01 »
Hi everyone,

I've decided thats it i'm doing it!!!!

I'm going to get my first hens. I thought i'd get 2 or 3 to start with. Will be getting this:

http://www.pet-supply-store.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=WHH02&cat=450

as a starter home... Until i move and get more space.

Got a couple of questions first...

If i only have 2 or 3 birds should i buy smaller bags of pellets, grit etc so they keep fresh? 5kg as opposed to 25kg.

Also can i have a list of essentials i should have in before i bring the birds home?

And finally do i put a feeder/drinker inside the coop (sleeping area) as well as outside in the run?

Thanks loads for any advice

Helen

Selkie

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 23:07 »
YAY - well done on deciding to go ahead and get your hens!

We only have two and I get the 25 kg sack of pellets; they go through them quite quickly (well not THAT fast but quicker than you'd think). I keep the opened sack in a metal dustbin (with lid)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 23:13 »
It is cheaper to buy them in 25Kg sacks but keep an eye on the use by date.  The vitamin content begins to drop after that.

It takes my chooks about 4-5 months to get through a sack so I sometimes throw some away.  Its still cheaper though  :D

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 23:50 »
hello there  :D

i'm a bit 'new ' myself and came here with just one or two questions when i started lol, good to see you got a nice 'house' sorted, i was looking for a good shortlist too of all the things i needed to get started and the good people here were happy to help so i'll pass my newfound tips on and hope they help  :D

food: mixed grain, green veg too for a varied diet, we've got ducks so cant be specific on what chickens will like but theres more than enough chicken fans here to help you. layers pellets, grit (oyster shell) worms, mealworms anything like that but dont do them all at once you dont need to get too stocked up lol.

cleaning stuff : jeyes fluid is the one i was recommended, and diatom powder for sprinkling down when the house is dry to prevent lice and mites.

bedding: straw ( none sprayed and check its not damp or musty smelling) not hay  as the dust can cause respiratory problems, or at least i presume that goes for chickens- sure the mods will correct me if im wrong  . . .

dust extracted wood shavings (not sawdust) for the floor of the house - straw on top .

security: make sure the garden is as fox proof as you can, i did a 13 mm chicken wire fence to 7 foot plus high and have shut off every nuck and cranny i could find round the garden. loads and loads of info on here on all the above and i'm sure if ive missed any obvious things someone else will point them out to you
 :D

hope this helps  . . . . . . . . .  :lol:

igorina

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 00:10 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"

security: make sure the garden is as fox proof as you can

I have a fully enclosed back yard, brick wall and minimum 4 foot gates.

I didnt even think about foxes as i'm in the middle of town. Obviously my brain was not working as i know that you get urban foxes but i'm sure i've also heard one "barking" on my street!

I was thinking as i'm going to be keeping them on concrete i could fix wire mesh to the bottom of the run before i put in the bark chips and straw and hope that'll keep it out.

Especially as i've been reading a lot of the past threads on here about foxes, I guess thats one of those old sayings thats actually true. "As cunning as a fox."

Thanks for all the advice. I have to say that this is THE best forum on the internet. I've looked through enough of them!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 00:21 »
take your gates up higher or do something with them, they'll all tell you 4 foots not enough.

i'm in manchester and a woman from freecycles giving me a bag of layers pellets for nowt as her chickens have just all been had by a fox .. . .  and this is stretford in manchester  . . . . .  seen more round here than i have at the other halfs in cheshire  . . . . . lol

:shock:

igorina

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 00:26 »
I'm gonna panic now  :shock:

I don't really know what i can do with the gates as this is a rented property, also both gates lead onto alleys that other peoples back gates are in!

Wonder if i'd be able to cover the entire garden with chicken wire?  :lol:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21 »
cant you get a frame made to put some height on the gate without it being permanent? i.e like a picture frame covered in chicken wire, that way it looks like a visual deterrent but it could be unscrewed if need be? just a thought  . . .  . . . . .

my OH's property's rented but it aint stopped me making it as fox proof as i think it can be, which will also include making a new higher gate for the passageway between the house and the back garden, they wont penalize ya for making improvements  . . . . . .   :shock:

Selkie

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:51 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
It is cheaper to buy them in 25Kg sacks but keep an eye on the use by date.  The vitamin content begins to drop after that.

It takes my chooks about 4-5 months to get through a sack so I sometimes throw some away.  Its still cheaper though  :D

I must write down the date when we start a new bag but I'm pretty sure my two get through a sack quicker than that...though one of the cats does eat the pellets too :roll:

igorina

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:46 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"
cant you get a frame made to put some height on the gate without it being permanent? i.e like a picture frame covered in chicken wire, that way it looks like a visual deterrent but it could be unscrewed if need be? just a thought  . . .  . . . . .

My gate is the same height as the back wall so it'd have to go all the way along. What about trellis? Or wouldn't that keep them out?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 11:50 »
Quote from: "igorina"

My gate is the same height as the back wall so it'd have to go all the way along. What about trellis? Or wouldn't that keep them out?

Trellis would be good as long as it goes up to about 7 ft. Helen  :D

igorina

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56 »
Ok thanks. Will have to get mum's boyfriend over with his drill.  :lol:

The house i'm going to get says its suitable for 4-5 medium size birds. What would you class a Wyandotte as?

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 13:38 »
The surrounding height needs to over 5ft not just to keep the foxes out but to keep the chickens in.  Even with wings clipped they are suprisingly good at getting over fences.  Also bear in mind if they can get on top of one thing and then over the fence. for example if they jump up on a water but and tehn up over the fence...little devils!!! :)

It is worth it though they are great fun

That chicken house looks to be agood size I would be happy to have 4 in there
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 13:40 »
thats funy just typing about what little devils chickens are at escaping and I look up to see a couple of little chicken faces looking in the french doors and they are supposed to be in their play pen on the lawn grrrr

igorina

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 15:48 »
Thats why i'm going to get that one... The lid!

Then i can pop to the shop 5 mins away and not have to worry that they are going to make a break for freedom

xx
They have all decided to pile into one coop?

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 22:43
by bastonjock
xx
ive finally decided on the chicen coop!

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 20:40
by Honeysuckle
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
need a bit of advice

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post December 18, 2011, 09:02
by Sassy

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 37 queries.