ive finally decided on the chicen coop!

• 7 Replies

boosmummy

ive finally decided on the chicen coop!
« on: July 09, 2011, 16:15 »
i deren't say!! ive decided after a lot of weighing up that im going to go for a wooden chicken coop then save up the money for an eglu. 

Im going to go for the whole experience wooden coop and all and load of people have wooden with no problems at all and it may look more natural down on the site, but i may get an eglu in the future.

so thank you everyone for your help xx

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: ive finally decided on the chicen coop!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 17:20 »
  :) We have done the same, made a wooden coop and will replace with plastic at a later date (if we feel we need to).

ferretkeeper

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 17:43 »
Wood is ok, just be aware of the possible pitfalls, which I gather you have been researching in comparison to the eglu.

You could end up spending as much on a wooden house as you would have done on an eglu and be unhappy with your purchase, I have! Also cheap wooden houses are a false economy, and dear ones aren't always a guarantee of a better product. If you do some research and are quite handy you can probably make something far better than you can buy.

So what is your budget? How many hens are you going to keep in it?

If you're going to buy watch out for a few things, and if making try and design in these things to make life easier.

I've found some very expensive wooden houses, while heavy, to be next to useless - impractical to clean despite what their description says, you can't get in easily unless you're a contortionist! And you need an assortment of different tools to clean them.

I've also mistakenly bought cheaper houses, I think I paid £150 for one from pets at home last year, it was new in for them so there wasn't one assembled for me to look at but even so I should have realised it wouldn't be up to much.

It is a house upstairs integral with the run, all covered. It is ok, just not brilliant. It's made of thin wood so it's light and flimsy and doesn't have things like a catch on the nest box lid. I don't expect it to last very long.

It's the one I use for new introductions, my broody is raising her chicks in there even now, with some tiny ducklings I snuck in later, and it was big enough for my goslings and even a cockerel for a couple of days.

But I think it would be extremely cold in winter, although the same could be said for many houses but this one more so than a house made of thicker timber. I insulate around all of mine with straw bales, and try and get as many hens in together as possible, which they sort of do on their own anyway.  

Things to avoid

- anything that slides, or has to fit snugly. Wooden sliding doors and pull out droppings trays stick and I've damaged an expensive house forcing things in and out. Even treated timber will expand when wet and I've got a relatively expensive house where I have to lift the nest box lid and push the door open from the inside. Rubbish.

- floors with too many lips, gaps and general places that can trap bedding, poo and then mites. It is an utter nightmare to clean those properly, and it'll put you off doing it as much as you should. You want a floor you can sweep straight out onto a tarp or something, no fiddling.

- small openings. You need a side to come off entirely so you can see exactly what you're doing

- nest boxes higher than perches - WRONG I can't believe how many so called expertly designed houses have this back to front.

- the inside is all perches, no flat floor. This is ok if you're attaching a part covered run but if not it's pretty hopeless inside, you can't leave food or water in there, so when you bring your new chickens in and shut them in for a while to settle how are they meant to eat and drink? They can't.

- as above, no windows. If your chooks need to be closed in for whatever reason in the day it's going to be pitch black. It's not something you'll always need to do necessarily, again it's fine if there's a secure covered run attached. But if you'll be out in the day and want to close them in for protection from foxes and the like, if it's dark you're effectively shortening their daylight hours and they'll think it's winter and stop laying! I don't mind my lot rosey and crowing for an hour or two before I let them out.

- felt roof! Most recently bought is a house which was made to order, originally it would have come with a felt roof but I insisted ours be changed to onduline. Why would someone who makes poultry houses use anything else?!

My best house is the one I made myself out of a 6x4 shed. You can get them with plastic roofs now so no felt. I cut it to bits to adapt it to suit chickens but a few bits of timber, a metal sliding pop hole off the internet, and bob's your uncle. I cut a sheet of thick plastic to go on the floor and partly up the sides, which I can drag out the door for cleaning, tip the lot in the compost and it gets a wash in the rain. The perches are thick branches cut from our trees so naturally shaped and good grip, they lift out completely and I can burn them if needed, and simply cut more branches to replace. Best of all I can stand up in it so no more bending and crouching.

It is thin timber and I would have bought a better quality shed if I was any good at DIY but knowing I was going to attack it and re-build it I didn't see the point! And there is a lot of space to heat in winter but I put straw right round to waist height to help, and it takes all my 20 hens if they choose so they keep each other warm.

I won't buy a wooden house again, they just don't stack up to the modern plastic ones for ease of use, cleaning and and no maintenance. My life would be a lot easier and my chickens would have a healthier environment in plastic.

My next purchase is going to from Green Frog Designs, they have a good range of houses, for larger numbers of hens than an eglu and prices are a bit lower. Although I like the eglu cube! I will gradually replace all my motley wooden collection with these.  

boosmummy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 19:18 »
Wood is ok, just be aware of the possible pitfalls, which I gather you have been researching in comparison to the eglu.

You could end up spending as much on a wooden house as you would have done on an eglu and be unhappy with your purchase, I have! Also cheap wooden houses are a false economy, and dear ones aren't always a guarantee of a better product. If you do some research and are quite handy you can probably make something far better than you can buy.

So what is your budget? How many hens are you going to keep in it?

If you're going to buy watch out for a few things, and if making try and design in these things to make life easier.

I've found some very expensive wooden houses, while heavy, to be next to useless - impractical to clean despite what their description says, you can't get in easily unless you're a contortionist! And you need an assortment of different tools to clean them.

I've also mistakenly bought cheaper houses, I think I paid £150 for one from pets at home last year, it was new in for them so there wasn't one assembled for me to look at but even so I should have realised it wouldn't be up to much.

It is a house upstairs integral with the run, all covered. It is ok, just not brilliant. It's made of thin wood so it's light and flimsy and doesn't have things like a catch on the nest box lid. I don't expect it to last very long.

It's the one I use for new introductions, my broody is raising her chicks in there even now, with some tiny ducklings I snuck in later, and it was big enough for my goslings and even a cockerel for a couple of days.

But I think it would be extremely cold in winter, although the same could be said for many houses but this one more so than a house made of thicker timber. I insulate around all of mine with straw bales, and try and get as many hens in together as possible, which they sort of do on their own anyway.  

Things to avoid

- anything that slides, or has to fit snugly. Wooden sliding doors and pull out droppings trays stick and I've damaged an expensive house forcing things in and out. Even treated timber will expand when wet and I've got a relatively expensive house where I have to lift the nest box lid and push the door open from the inside. Rubbish.

- floors with too many lips, gaps and general places that can trap bedding, poo and then mites. It is an utter nightmare to clean those properly, and it'll put you off doing it as much as you should. You want a floor you can sweep straight out onto a tarp or something, no fiddling.

- small openings. You need a side to come off entirely so you can see exactly what you're doing

- nest boxes higher than perches - WRONG I can't believe how many so called expertly designed houses have this back to front.

- the inside is all perches, no flat floor. This is ok if you're attaching a part covered run but if not it's pretty hopeless inside, you can't leave food or water in there, so when you bring your new chickens in and shut them in for a while to settle how are they meant to eat and drink? They can't.

- as above, no windows. If your chooks need to be closed in for whatever reason in the day it's going to be pitch black. It's not something you'll always need to do necessarily, again it's fine if there's a secure covered run attached. But if you'll be out in the day and want to close them in for protection from foxes and the like, if it's dark you're effectively shortening their daylight hours and they'll think it's winter and stop laying! I don't mind my lot rosey and crowing for an hour or two before I let them out.

- felt roof! Most recently bought is a house which was made to order, originally it would have come with a felt roof but I insisted ours be changed to onduline. Why would someone who makes poultry houses use anything else?!

My best house is the one I made myself out of a 6x4 shed. You can get them with plastic roofs now so no felt. I cut it to bits to adapt it to suit chickens but a few bits of timber, a metal sliding pop hole off the internet, and bob's your uncle. I cut a sheet of thick plastic to go on the floor and partly up the sides, which I can drag out the door for cleaning, tip the lot in the compost and it gets a wash in the rain. The perches are thick branches cut from our trees so naturally shaped and good grip, they lift out completely and I can burn them if needed, and simply cut more branches to replace. Best of all I can stand up in it so no more bending and crouching.

It is thin timber and I would have bought a better quality shed if I was any good at DIY but knowing I was going to attack it and re-build it I didn't see the point! And there is a lot of space to heat in winter but I put straw right round to waist height to help, and it takes all my 20 hens if they choose so they keep each other warm.

I won't buy a wooden house again, they just don't stack up to the modern plastic ones for ease of use, cleaning and and no maintenance. My life would be a lot easier and my chickens would have a healthier environment in plastic.

My next purchase is going to from Green Frog Designs, they have a good range of houses, for larger numbers of hens than an eglu and prices are a bit lower. Although I like the eglu cube! I will gradually replace all my motley wooden collection with these.  

thank you for all your advice.

my budget is at the moment £100  ??? and im going to get a house big enough for 5 but only have 2 chickens in it.  the run is fairly small but they will get free range of the allotment eventually.

there is no felt on the house, and the nesting box is lower than the perches as far as i can tell, and it seems to open up fairly easily.

my main problem is the cost of the eglu, i would love one i really would but i cant justify it in case the chicken keeping is a whim  :D

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 19:18 »
We have 2 big wooden coops, a small 'hospital' coop with an integral run and OH has just converted a dog kennel into a coop again with an integral run for a broody coop.  All (apart from the basic kennel) are home made.   :tongue2: The biggest coop is a walk in one and is big enough for about 14-16 birds  :D this one cost about £70 to make.  The second one houses my Orps so it's a bit posher  ;).  It's a raised coop with easy access for cleaning; cost approx £45.  The beauty of home made is you can make them as cheap or expensive as you want and obviously you determine how easy the access is for cleaning.   :nowink:

We did have a problem in the big coop with red mite last year but we beat them  :D

I have considered plastic coops - especially last year when we had red mite - but I'm not sold on the look  :unsure: I can't justify spending that amount of money on something I don't like the look of  :wub: However, if the red mite comes back and we're not successful in getting rid of it, I will reconsider.  The welfare of the chooks is paramount.   :nowink:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 19:22 »
I think that because you are keeping your hens on the allotment the wooden coop is better. I would think that plastic ones would get stolen from an allotment as all of them have a good resale value. I also plan to keep chickens on an allotment (when I get one) but they will have to put up with a wooden coop!

boosmummy

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 19:27 »
We have 2 big wooden coops, a small 'hospital' coop with an integral run and OH has just converted a dog kennel into a coop again with an integral run for a broody coop.  All (apart from the basic kennel) are home made.   :tongue2: The biggest coop is a walk in one and is big enough for about 14-16 birds  :D this one cost about £70 to make.  The second one houses my Orps so it's a bit posher  ;).  It's a raised coop with easy access for cleaning; cost approx £45.  The beauty of home made is you can make them as cheap or expensive as you want and obviously you determine how easy the access is for cleaning.   :nowink:

We did have a problem in the big coop with red mite last year but we beat them  :D

I have considered plastic coops - especially last year when we had red mite - but I'm not sold on the look  :unsure: I can't justify spending that amount of money on something I don't like the look of  :wub: However, if the red mite comes back and we're not successful in getting rid of it, I will reconsider.  The welfare of the chooks is paramount.   :nowink:

could you please post a picture of your coops??

I think that because you are keeping your hens on the allotment the wooden coop is better. I would think that plastic ones would get stolen from an allotment as all of them have a good resale value. I also plan to keep chickens on an allotment (when I get one) but they will have to put up with a wooden coop!

i think this too and i think that a wooden coop will look more natural on the allotment too, im going to be down there most days so they will have free run anyway x

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 20:40 »
These photos are not great but hopefully you'll get a good idea what they look like  :blush:

The first photo is the front of the Orps coop, the idea was for them to have a ramp up to the pop hole however, they prefer to use the side doors (bottom photo). Both doors onthe side open wide for cleaning.  There is a nest box on the side but I don't have a photo of that I'm afraid.

I've got a few photos of the big coop however, it doesn't really do the size justice, it's alot bigger than it looks!  :nowink:

Side door for walk in access

Nest box on the side

and looking at the nest box from inside

These photos were taken during construction; the nest box has been divided and the walls have been insulated (trying to keep Lancelot's crows a bit quieter in the early morning; it has worked  :D) Ventilaton is at the top of the back wall.

xx
They have all decided to pile into one coop?

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 22:43
by bastonjock
xx
Have decided now need advice please

Started by igorina on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 22:10
by igorina
xx
Finally ...

Started by cluckingmad on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 20:37
by babypoogle
xx
Finally got to ask this

Started by Celtic Eagle on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:32
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.