need a bit of advice

• 29 Replies

pepsi100

need a bit of advice
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:35 »
I put a dozen eggs down in my incubator, made sure there wasnt much in the way of temperature fluctuations, the humidity seemed fine

I had 1 egg that was clear, I know the chicks have developed, beacause of their weight and candling,

BUT they havent hatched out, any ideas please

I have done everything the same as I usually do, turned em 4 times a day, kept the lid off the incubator a minimum amount of time, the temperature never fluctuated more than 1/2 a degree from 99.5-100.00F

They were from 2 different breeders, so it cant have been the eggs, it has to be something I did wrong

Ideas, please
It's all about the journey, not the destination

kegs

Re: need a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:36 »
A few queries and thoughts.
How many days have they been in the incubator?  How did you get the eggs (by post or did you collect them)?  Have any of them pipped?  How are you checking the humidity of your incubator and could any of your equipment be faulty as if the shells were too hard then this might explain why they were unable to hatch if, as you say, they are fully formed?  If you are well past the 21 days then it might be helpful to crack a couple of the eggs (assuming you are certain that they have died in the shell) which might give you further insight as to what has gone wrong.

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:51 »
They have been in the incubator 24 days now,

I got them through the post, when I got them they were fine, clean, well packed,  left them to 'rest' for 24 hours

I used a small cup full of water for the humidity (as it said with the incubator info) I dont think the equipment was faulty, I have used it all before

I used electronic 2 thermometers, but they read the same, maybe a tenth of a degree difference

Nope no pips, which was unusual

Okay, I did leave candling till late 18 days, but I dont think that made any difference to the hatch

Well off to 'crack' one of the eggs now (I really dont like doing this bit)

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09 »
I have cracked one egg, there was a bit of fluid in it, the membrane was quite dry, but there was a pulse, I have put it back in the incubator, with a damp tissue over it, I dont think that will help it to survive (if it was meant to)

I'm going to leave these in the in and have increased the amount of water in there, it may increase the humidity (if it needs it to soften the shells and the membrane)

(I was really surprised to see a pulse from this chick and the amount of fluid in there, I assume this chick wont survive now :()
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:25 by pepsi100 »

kegs

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58 »
They should have pipped at day 21.  When did you put the water in, in order to increase the humidity and have you got an hygrometer to read the humidity level (it should be at 60+ in order that the shells are soft enough for the chicks to break through?  Where is the incubator sited as this can make a difference too?  Eggs through the post are notoriously difficult to hatch because you never know what their journey was like. 

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 13:09 »
Never had any pips at all

I have never used a hygometer, I assumed the amount of water that evaporated would be fine (It has in the past) and its what is with the incubator info, they even provided the 'cups'

(it is a smallish red one, an opaqe top, with a fan and stat, a switch for adjusting the temperature, its very precise, had it for about 4 years now, first time I have had this problem, no hatching)
I have always got my eggs through the post, usually with no problems

The incubator is in the spare bedroom, no draughts, out of  direct sunlight, checked the thermometers, never went above 100.5F

I have increased the amount of water in there now to 2 egg cup size containers,

I'll top em up when I turn them (really grabbing at straws here that they may still hatch out)

Its hard, I'm trying to resist opening the incubator every 5 minutes to see how this egg I have opened is getting on and if the chick survives
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 13:11 by pepsi100 »

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 15:13 »
Hi i have hatched chicken  and quail eggs in an incubater, i have found them that come through the post are difficult to hatch at the best of time I would try and increase the amount of water in the incubater, mine came with a section for putting in the water it holds about a cupfull and during incubation i have to refill at least 3 times i have a hydromiter i got from a pet shop for lizards  ;) good luck
Chicken crazy

pepsi100

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 16:19 »
I have increased the amount of water in the incubator, I'm just going to carry on for a few more days, see what develops

Afterall nothing ventured, nothing gained

I have always got my eggs on ebay, never had any problems before, thery are all good sellers and breeders (if the feedbacks are to be beleived)

Is it possible for eggs to hatch out 2-3-4 days after the normal incubation period ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:47 by pepsi100 »

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:08 »
I'm absolutely not an expert on hatching. However, hatching at this time of year without a way to check the humidity is usually more difficult as the humidity in the atmosphere is very different to spring and summer. If they are in a centrally heated house the humidity will be different again. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 09:37 »
Thanks,

I dont have the heating on in this room, and have kept the door closed, but then again, my house is well insulated and I dont have the heating on very much

(havent used it yet, unlike last year)

I have heard a few chirps from these eggs, seen a little crack, I'm still hoping AND have checked how long they have been in the incubator, they are well over now the hatch date

I have increased the cups of water in there, I'm hoping (IF they do do try to hatch) it will soften that membrane inside the egg

I'll keep everyone upto speed as how things progress now, there isnt anything else I can do, just keep an eye on the incubator and top upthe water that evaporates in the cups

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 10:17 »
I always use a broody but with these the hatch can be anything up to 27 days depending upon the weather.
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:29 »
I always use a broody but with these the hatch can be anything up to 27 days depending upon the weather.

I tried that  ;) but I think they got bored and wandered off  >:(

Couldnt do it this time though, they arent broody, too busy looking for worms and bugs in the area I have dug over  ;)

I dont know if this will show, but this is the incubator I have used
$(KGrHqRHJB8E63(O673GBO32WVQJZg~~60_12.jpg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:54 by pepsi100 »

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40 »
I've hatched numerous chicks from eggs bought online and in the main had more successes than failures. I'd hang on a day or two more before cracking any more open. If the chick was alive but them mebrane dry., that may have been the problem. As Joyful says up to 27 days can sometimes happen.

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:47 »
Thanks Helenaj

I have put a wet sponge in there now, along with the cup of water

I have stopped turning them now though, the chick who'se egg I open is still alive and cheeping, but I cant really help to get it out, everything is so dry in there, but I did keep the water pots topped up, so I am hoping the humidity is going to be okay for the rest

I cant lose anything by leaving them in there longer

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 08:27 »
Which day did you stop turning the eggs? :)

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
need some advice

Started by chubbsta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2012, 16:07
by grinling
xx
Really in need of some advice

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 17:42
by Jellyhead
xx
Run advice please

Started by sessyplum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 21:20
by sessyplum

Page created in 2.531 seconds with 37 queries.