Split Tomatoes

• 17 Replies

cadalot

Split Tomatoes
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:08 »
OK I think we agree it's been a rubbish year weather wise, and now we appear to be catching up on rain, and lots of my tomatoes can't take the additional water and are splitting, especially the cherry toms.

Are you getting more split tomatoes that usual this year?

What do you guys do with all your split tomatoes?
2015-09-05 Split Tomatoes.jpg

8doubles

Re: Split Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:19 »
Mine are splitting while they are green and nowhere near ripe.
A little less water and a lot more sun would help ! :nowink:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:25 »
I've had more tomatoes split this year too.  I've found this lovely recipe for tomato soup where you roast the tomatoes first, so I've been making quite a few pans full of that. I've usually had to supplement with some bought toms, but they are fairly cheap at the moment, so that's okay.
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:31 »
As long as they're not mouldy  ::) they go into a bag and into the freezer, for winter soups, casseroles and sauces.

Simples  :D

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 09:54 »
I've had more tomatoes split this year too.  I've found this lovely recipe for tomato soup where you roast the tomatoes first, so I've been making quite a few pans full of that. I've usually had to supplement with some bought toms, but they are fairly cheap at the moment, so that's okay.

Some of us would love to have that recipe!  Can you post a link or even the recipe? Thanks.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 10:34 »
I make mine into tomato sauce for pasta dishes. Nearly all the faintly red ones outside are split. Am so grateful for the greenhouse.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 10:53 »
Same as everybody else. They go in the freezer providing they're not mouldy. Most of the split ones are cherry so they make a good soup (although I don't think there as good for tomato puree).

lettice

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 12:39 »
Cant say this year is any worse, always get a few handfuls over the season from all varieties of split toms.
But always do the same as others.
Cut them in half to check the split is just a split and add them to soups and a bowl in the freezer.
I roast my toms too before making into a soup with an already sieved chicken bone and veg stock, nothing more, just pure tomato heaven.
Do also like to grill the split ones for a great breakfast on toast.

Ema

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 12:53 »
I had the same problem last year.

I've been emptying out the tray my pots are sat in after long rain this year and touch wood not a split on in site.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 13:09 »
Most of mine are split but as long as they are clean I make soup or freeze for later. I try and pick everyday so they don't get a chance of going bad.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 14:03 »

Some of us would love to have that recipe!  Can you post a link or even the recipe? Thanks.
Moose, I have posted it under Fresh Tomato Soup in the Cooking, storing and preserving forum
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=121443.new#new
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 14:05 by Annen »

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 19:28 »
Thank you Annen.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 06:58 »
We either make passata or just liquidise the whole lot, skin and all, and freeze flat in small plastic bags.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 08:24 »
I've noticed this year that my yellow toms seem to like to split after getting picked. I've never noticed them do that before....

Pip pip,
Balders

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 16:49 »
Grew Sungold 3 years on the trot and found them very prone to splitting - no doubt partly my fault although other varieties, including cherry types, have not been a problem.

First time growing Marmande this year - the one in the garden has been very unhappy with its lot and only produced 2 toms, both of which were 'cat-faced', although the ones in the greenhouse have been fine (albeit slow to ripen.)

At few of the Inca plum toms have had slight blossom end rot, which curiously seems to make them ripen quicker - they and any other damaged toms are 'tidied up' and go into the sauces for freezing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Split tomatoes

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 13:59
by JayG
xx
split tomatoes

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 22:56
by shay
xx
Split tomatoes

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:07
by noshed
xx
split carrots

Started by Amilo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 11:35
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.93 seconds with 30 queries.