split tomatoes

• 9 Replies

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
split tomatoes
« on: July 20, 2009, 15:04 »
I was suprised to find 3 of my Cherrola tomatoes (which are cherry sized), split when I checked this morning.  The plants are in the greenhouse and I water them daily (I do ca finger check first to make sure that they need this and always do).  I feed them with tomorite every 7 days.  So I feel that they are consistently being watered, not leaving them to dry out and not overwatering, but still the splitting has occurred.  I wonder if the Cherrola tomato is prone to splitting?  Any suggestions on making sure that the remainder of the hundreds of unripe tomatoes still on the plants, do not go the same way?

beansticks

Re: split tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 15:44 »
I would suggest a little less water,if they are a little over-watered they will take up too much water for the fruit to accommodate,this causes splitting.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 20:39 »
I would suggest a little less water,if they are a little over-watered they will take up too much water for the fruit to accommodate,this causes splitting.

I have been reading an article about split toms and this indicates irregular watering or over watering could be the cause and to schedule the watering to the same time each day.  Each time I water I do stick my finger down into the soil and it always feels dry, so I imagine the plants need watering.  I have one of those moisture reading prongs so will give this a try.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 20:42 »
I know this isn't necessarily what you've been doing, but some people follow the same watering ritual and schedule daily without regard for other variables such as rain, wind, temperature, humidity etc - all of which affect evaporation rates and thus the watering need.

Some days a tomato may require watering at least once or twice, at the other extreme you may not need to water at all.  If a tomato is in a pot it can be lifted to gauge weight and thus water content, as a different way of identifying how much water to provide.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

devondave

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 21:44 »
With regard to watering toms i've been told to water from the bottom and feed from the top, I made up a wooden frame and lined with thick polythene so the tubs can stand in the water and take the water in through the bottom of the tub, it also makes the roots go down making a sturdy planted stem.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:21 »
With regard to watering toms i've been told to water from the bottom and feed from the top, I made up a wooden frame and lined with thick polythene so the tubs can stand in the water and take the water in through the bottom of the tub, it also makes the roots go down making a sturdy planted stem.

The wooden frame sounds like a good idea, I'd need to speak nicely to my husband about this.  I am awaiting delivery of 3 greenhouse large plastic trays to go underneath the pots, so I will be able to put the water in this and then just feed from the top.  Thanks everyone for your help.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:21 »
My tomatoes have started to split in the last 2 days. I think I forgot to water them only once and this is the cause. This morning I picked a perfectly good tomato and as I washed it under the tap, it split on contact with the water. 

gillie

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 13:36 »
"I picked a perfectly good tomato and as I washed it under the tap, it split on contact with the water. "

That sounds like a first class tomato with a really tender skin!

Cheers,

Gillie

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 21:35 »
 :)

shay

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 22:56 »
Had same problem when I went today, only 3 or 4 were split. Water at approx same time each evening although if its been raining during the day i don't then go mad and water them again, at a loss as to what is right and what is wrong.

xx
Split tomatoes

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 13:59
by JayG
xx
Split tomatoes

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:07
by noshed
clip
Split Tomatoes

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 12, 2015, 20:31
by Growster...
xx
Goosberrys Split

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 20:47
by hubballi

Page created in 1.257 seconds with 36 queries.