broody for 2 months

• 3 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
broody for 2 months
« on: August 20, 2015, 22:04 »
 Hi my hen Kylie has been broody for 2 months and I have tried everything to break her but not had any success please can anybody give some advice. tried dunking her in water and locking up the coop but all she does is sit on the roof. Its doing my head in. Can not give her eggs to sit on as I have not got the room and don't want any cockrels. thanks Andy 46
Pull up a perch!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: broody for 2 months
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:08 »
I must admit I tend to leave mine to it, but 2 months is getting a bit silly  ::) 

Have you got or can you borrow a puppy cage.   Take the plastic tray in the base out.  If you can also get her up off the floor so she has air under her, that should cool her down and get her hormones back under control. 

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 14:20 »
Agree with New Shoot. I use a puppy cage and it works every time for my lot. Put the cage on bricks to raise it off the ground. Leave the floor of the cage out so she can't get comfy, make sure she has plenty of food and water and leave her for 3-4 days. I usually put mine in the garage, close to the door so they get a breeze - then close the door at night.

It's quite stressful for a hen to be broody for a long period, they pluck out the feathers on their chests so that there's bare skin next to the eggs to keep them warmer. They're also reluctant to leave the hut sometimes so don't get enough to eat or drink. I always think it best to try and break the cycle  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57 »
Same problem here!

They get kicked out during the day (dry zone outside) and plonked on the perch late at night so they can't climb down again.

One of them went broody 3 days before a knee op (my knee) so great fun doing this walking with sticks!!!!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Months without eggs!!!!!!!!!??????????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 17:48
by SUTTY1
xx
2nd moult in 3 months

Started by gracie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 13:38
by jamima
xx
6 months old, do I now worm?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 01:55
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 30 queries.