6 months old, do I now worm?

• 1 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
6 months old, do I now worm?
« on: October 16, 2011, 19:31 »
My girls are now 6 months old and they free range the majority of the time so I realise they have a good chance of getting worms. Sadly I do spend alot of the poo picking time opening poo up to check for worms and as yet we are clear. Is it just silly to worm them at 6 months if they dont have worms or does this stay in the system for a while as a preventative measure. The only reason im not keen on worming as I believe from what I have read on here that they shouldnt free range during the weeks worming and I dont think I will be very popular when that happens.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: 6 months old, do I now worm?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:55 »
Apparently it is possible to keep hens healthy and happy without using chemical worming methods.  Organic farms somehow manage it.  But so far I haven't worked out how, and my pullets got worms despite all my best efforts.  :(

It is great that you're investigating your hens' droppings - as odd as it may seem!  :D  If you're not seeing any worms it's unlikely your hens have a heavy worm burden, but this doesn't mean they are worm-free.

The way I see it, you have three options:

1) Continue as you are.  Monitor your hens' droppings and general health carefully.  Be ready to worm them if you see worms in their droppings.

2) Use a chemical wormer right away.  This could be Flubenvet (with the advantage of no egg with-holding period) or you could use a different type of single-dose wormer that means you wouldn't have to confine your birds, but you couldn't eat their eggs for two weeks.

3) See if you have a local vet who can arrange a faecal float test.  This is a test to find out the level of worm eggs in your chickens' droppings.  It may be expensive (and you may have trouble finding a lab to do it) but that way you would know for certain whether your birds need worming.

I enquired at my local vet and they said they could arrange a faecal float test for $80  :blink: It would need to be repeated every 6 months. The worming meds cost $14 for about a year's worth.  I decided to worm them!

Let us know what you decide. :)

xx
broody for 2 months

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 07:57
by nerdle
xx
Why no eggs for 6 months?

Started by madbantamlady on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 14:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
Months without eggs!!!!!!!!!??????????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 17:48
by SUTTY1
xx
2nd moult in 3 months

Started by gracie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 13:38
by jamima

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 28 queries.