Chilli pepper over winter.

• 4 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Chilli pepper over winter.
« on: July 27, 2015, 18:41 »
We bought a chilli plant last year from Sainsburys, it was on offer for £1-69 and decided that the amount of fruit it had was more than the cost of the plant, it was over wintered on a south facing windowsill and it was covered in flower non stop, I tried to hand pollinate with a soft brush but without success, I moved it into my lean too in may and the fruits just keep coming but I have one observation that has me puzzled, some fruits can get to 1 inch long and take a little while to turn red where as others are red when as small as your little finger nail, any ideas, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Chilli pepper over winter.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 19:17 »
I think that some fruits grow quickly, maybe being well watered, and get larger before ripening than others which ripen at a smaller size --less water?

We often have plants where the fruits are various sizes when ripe, so I guess it is normal.

Hope you can overwinter the plants again this year, Dave!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 18:25 »
Looking at your link mjgooo, I must have done every thing wrong with my plant and yet it thrived and still does, funny old game this gardening lark. The amount of flowers it produced over the winter months was ridiculous, so I might give it a trim this year and cut back a bit with the watering, so far this year all my toms and peppers have only had home made comfrey feed, my toms are starting to look like triffids, cheers Dave  ps thanks for the encouragement SSB

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 19:34 »
Looking at your link mjgooo, I must have done every thing wrong with my plant and yet it thrived and still does, funny old game this gardening lark. The amount of flowers it produced over the winter months was ridiculous, so I might give it a trim this year and cut back a bit with the watering, so far this year all my toms and peppers have only had home made comfrey feed, my toms are starting to look like triffids, cheers Dave  ps thanks for the encouragement SSB

I've obviously done it all wrong too, Dave  :nowink: :lol: I checked on the one I overwintered on the windowsill last winter that still had its label, and it is Numex Twilight. Lovely colours of purple, orange, red and yellow. It has flowered non stop since June last year, and looks amazing.

Stick with what works for you, is the advice someone gave me years ago. Finding what works can be trial and error sometimes, but when you've found it .......  stick with it  :lol:

xx
Chilli Pepper

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 11:48
by garddwr bach
xx
Chilli pepper newbie

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 19:43
by ches
clip
Chilli or sweet pepper

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 18:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Pepper/chilli timing?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 15:31
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 37 queries.