Chilli or sweet pepper

• 15 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Chilli or sweet pepper
« on: July 26, 2013, 18:56 »
Forgive this question as it will come across as a bit dense....
I sowed both sweet peppers and chilli peppers at the same time but forgot to label which was which ( I know)... I have not grown either before so don't know what they should look like...
I have attached a photo...
Firstly, are they sweet peppers or chilli peppers
Second- do I wait for them to turn colour?

Hope someone can help :))
Thanks
image.jpg

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Chilli or sweet pepper
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 19:31 »
That looks like a chilli pepper.
Sweet peppers are normally the bell-type big ones :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 19:33 »
Perhaps tell us what varieties you grew - both chillies and peppers come in all shapes and sizes so it might take out the guess work if there was a bit of information  ;)

Having said that, going off the foliage, I'll put my penneth worth in and say those are possibly chillies.

EDIT:

That looks like a chilli pepper.
Sweet peppers are normally the bell-type big ones :)

Corne Rosso are bull horn sweet peppers  ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 19:34 by BabbyAnn »

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 19:37 »
I'm growing quite a few different varieties of hot / sweet chill / pepper - from my experience if you get them mixed up as plants / seedlings it can be difficult to tell them apart. From my experience the fact that your 'fruits' are rather elongated maybe hints toward chilli rather than pepper - but there are pepper varieties that are quite elongated too (I'm growing some 'sweet banana' that are similarly shaped - though end up yellow).
As to whether you should wait for them to change colour, well that often depends on the variety...
Do you know what varieties you planted? That *may* help.
Not much help I know. Some one will be along shortly who may have more useful input   :tongue2:

Worse case scenario - pick one early and taste it...  :ohmy:

Cheers,
Balders

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 19:47 »
Just to be awkward......... It looks just like my Ramiro sweet pepper  ;)

So yes, it could be either  :D

as Baldy says, you didn't label them but can you remember the varieties you sowed?

seaside

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 19:50 »
Not 100%, but that photo sure looks remarkably like an anaheim chilli to me, and they can get to a reasonable juicy size, hence possibly the confusion for some. One of the milder ones though, and can be eaten raw in a salad when green, but gets hotter when it turns to red.

There are that sort of shape sweet pepper out there of course, but they tend to be rather large, larger than the bell sweet peppers.
I am growing anaheim now, and have done for a while now. But that's where it all gets confusing as I have home grown seeds mixed with purchased seeds, and my labelling is probably as bad as yours.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 19:56 »
I've been to check my different sorts and I think the mystery is solved.......It's a chilli because of the black stem markings - there are none on any of the sweet peppers  ;)

seaside

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 20:09 »
Yes, a chilli it is. Most new growers rightly tend to go for a multi pack to try them out, usually with one sweet pepper included. The sweet pepper maturity is often behind the chilli peppers maturity in my experience for us amateurs. Those multi packs nearly always include anaheim, and also Hungarian wax, the only other that looks remotely similar, but they tend to be a little firmer and more shiny at that early stage.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 20:13 »
black stem = chilli

well I never...

perhaps I can grow them commercially after all, the last piece of the jigsaw...  :tongue2:

Cheers,
Balders

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 20:16 »
It looks like the Apache chillis I grew last year.

seaside

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 20:46 »
For me, the trouble with chillies is they are often started so early to get a head start, they usually involve being booked in to my overworked only heated propagator, that necessitates a bit of a free-for-all for 6 or 7 varieties in one seed tray. And it started off with the best of intentions.  :)
Early failures happen with chillies and can mean more re-sowings to guarantee some viable plants for the season. All that is then followed by possibly two re pottings, transfers to greenhouses and dancing around the frosts, poking about with fleece, by which time it's a case of chase the queen. Any audit trail as to parenthood is long out the window. And the leaves don't half look alike until the offspring pop out.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 22:54 »
I once mixed up Tomahawk sweet pepper with orange habanero chilli and it had serious repercussions  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: 

Orange habs are as hot as Hades  :ohmy:  I shan't ever mix them up again. Sheesh

bravemurphy

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 23:12 »
I have sown bull horn this year and the plant is about 6 foot and hasn't set a fruit yet.

I am going to take the tops off I think.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 06:28 »
I once mixed up Tomahawk sweet pepper with orange habanero chilli and it had serious repercussions  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: 

Orange habs are as hot as Hades  :ohmy:  I shan't ever mix them up again. Sheesh

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yowzers!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 17:56 »
For me, the trouble with chillies is they are often started so early to get a head start, they usually involve being booked in to my overworked only heated propagator, that necessitates a bit of a free-for-all for 6 or 7 varieties in one seed tray. And it started off with the best of intentions.  :)
Early failures happen with chillies and can mean more re-sowings to guarantee some viable plants for the season. All that is then followed by possibly two re pottings, transfers to greenhouses and dancing around the frosts, poking about with fleece, by which time it's a case of chase the queen. Any audit trail as to parenthood is long out the window. And the leaves don't half look alike until the offspring pop out.

That's exactly what happens with me  :lol:  I have several chilli plant labels with "?" on them where the labels on which I had used a "permanent" ink marker  ::) had run in the condensation, and it's been a bit of a guessing game as to which ones they all are.  Luckily a few easy ones like Black Hungarian, and one I thought was Aji turned out to be a pepper (old seed where one germinated - good job I had written it down in my journal otherwise I'd still be scratching my head as to how it has round pods)  And I think I have just found the Golden Cayennes but ripening would be a better confirmation

xx
hot chilli and sweet pepper cross

Started by les walker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 12:58
by Stevens706
xx
Chilli & Sweet Pepper Seeds

Started by OB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 08:08
by OB
xx
Chilli Pepper

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 11:48
by garddwr bach
xx
Pepper/chilli timing?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 15:31
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.