Pepper/chilli timing?

• 13 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Pepper/chilli timing?
« on: May 06, 2013, 22:21 »
This is a year of many firsts for me, one of which are peppers and chillies.

I heard they needed a long season so had to be started early, but due to the snow and the construction of the conservatory I was unable to start mine until mid March. This was a bit concerning to me as I heard some started theirs as early as January, though there was no way around it.

But this has still been sitting on the back of my mind for a while... A visit to B&Q for some items reawakened the concern when I noted that not only were all their peppers bigger than mine, but some had ripened fruit on them! Now I know many were probably started many months ago in some heated greenhouse, but they didn't half make mine look inadequate :unsure:

So here's one of my chillies as a size indication for were they are all at. Is this a ok size for them to be this time of year to get a crop, or am I behind?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Pepper/chilli timing?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 22:34 »
Mine are a wee bit taller, but I started them in mid Feb on my kitchen windowsill.  I'm sure they will catch up.

You are right about places like B&Q.  Their's are started off in ideal conditions, but they start selling them too early in the shops, so many of them die as people buy them and put them straight in the garden or cold greenhouse.

I'm sure they'll catch up, although many of mine last year were so slow due to the wet cold weather, that they never ripened.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 22:36 »
I sowed chenzos in late April last year and got 300+ chillies off them in October - they lived out on a north-facing balcony nearly all year and were brought in in September.

My jalapenos are a bit bigger but yours will probably catch up - mine have grown most in the last week or so.

wilbzfishing

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 22:59 »
I don't have much hope for mine planted in feb, took ages to germinate only a few inches high and only starting to get second set of leaves

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 23:00 »
What variety are you growing? It looks a little behind my cayenne but not by far. They will catch up, the main thing is to give them plenty of light and warmth.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 23:16 »
I'm growing jalapeno and anaheim chillies and big banana sweet peppers. They're all around the same size and were started in a heated propagator in mid March.

I'm running a bit of an experiment this year. Going to have some of the plants in a North East facing garden conservatory and some out in the open in the South West front of the house. See how they perform.

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 23:36 »
If they were mid March id say they are about the right size. I saw the ones in B&Q and they were about 3 months ahead of anything I've grown! All about money making and catching people out.

seaside

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:11 »
I wouldn't worry. That chilli isn't far off for a home grown chilli, unless you wanted to supplement them with expensive grow lights etc in March. Growing them at home too early renders them just as vulnerable as the shop bought ones for all intents and purposes, as it can still be difficult putting them out to a cold greenhouse.
I overwintered mine 18 months ago and had a great crop last Summer, but failed in that mission this Winter sadly ... too cocky after last year's success. Ideally, over wintering is the answer if you have a warm conservatory, putting them out to a cold greenhouse under domes in April as an essential secondary protection.
Like many plants, chillies take off when Summer comes. The only drawback, is a delay of about 6 weeks in harvesting, and a bit of a glut late on. This year, after my failure, I am supplementing my home grown with three  more advanced but cheap chillies from the garden centre to supplement that harvest shortfall in July ... bit of a cheat I know, but I do like growing them ... one of my favourite plants
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:16 by seaside »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:44 »
After trying several different varieties indoors and in the greenhouse I've settled for just growing cayenne peppers now - I have two plants in a trough which are now in their third year of living permanently on the spare bedroom windowsill, and they produce more or less continuously (much slower in winter of course, but that was also due to being given a serious "Sheffield Chop" last autumn.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Willow_Warren

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31 »
I don't have much hope for mine planted in feb, took ages to germinate only a few inches high and only starting to get second set of leaves

Mine are much the same as yours sound!!  I think I'm too ashamed to post a picture - the two chilli varieties I chose were Basket of Fire & Numex (or some thing like that!).  My other half seems keen to buy some esablished plants as we did last year (and we got loads of chillies off of them!!!)!

My sweet pepper plants are looking a little better - I hold out some hope for them!

Hannah :)

ryetek

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 09:52 »
It's my first year with peppers too. Mine were started mid-March and have only got their first true leaves so I wouldn't worry too much.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 14:49 »
Thanks for the responses all, they certainly make me feel more confident about my little guys :)

Since it's day I might as well include pics of the lot. The ones with the "o" are destined to go out front, so I'll be able to do a comparison.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 15:30 »
Very smart  :D

Hannah

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 15:31 »
After mine failing I purchased some  :blush:

When can they safely be put in a polytunnel. Sorry to hijack

xx
Chilli Pepper

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 11:48
by garddwr bach
xx
Chilli Pepper Disease?

Started by BigA on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 20:06
by BigA
xx
Chilli pepper newbie

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 19:43
by ches
xx
Chilli & Pepper Plants

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 19:13
by Dirt Diver

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 37 queries.