We have been banned from using hoses

• 34 Replies

Beetroot Queen

We have been banned from using hoses
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:55 »
As the back fill may enter public drinking water. Hope we get some rain on a nice regular basis as thats going to be a challenge with three plots.  ::)

Nobbie

Re: We have been banned from using hoses
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:42 »
Couldn't they just fit a non return valve on the taps?

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:50 »
we cant use hoses either   lots of walking lol

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:53 »
I think all hoses and therefore sprinklers should be banned on allotments . I cant understand  why people want to water   all the weeds and space in between their crops as well, when a watering can is so much more precise. Also, no one else can use the standpipe all the time someone has a hosepipe plugged into it.
Think of all the extra exercise youll get walking backwards and forwards with the watering can ;)
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:25 »
I think all hoses and therefore sprinklers should be banned on allotments . I cant understand  why people want to water   all the weeds and space in between their crops as well, when a watering can is so much more precise. Also, no one else can use the standpipe all the time someone has a hosepipe plugged into it.
Think of all the extra exercise youll get walking backwards and forwards with the watering can ;)

Whilst I agree with your sentiment that we shouldn't waste water and I have rainwater collecting barrels on my plot, not everyone is able to fetch and carry water in a can with ease.   We have a disabled person and some elderly gardeners on our site and I am sure being able to use a hose makes things easier for them.   It is quite easy to direct a hose where it is needed and not spray indiscriminately.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:29 »
That seems a pretty harsh comment steve

I think all hoses and therefore sprinklers should be banned on allotments...............

Great if you are young and haven't got something like Arthritis so you physically can carry the watering can from a tap that may be a long way from your plot.
I cant understand  why people want to water  all the weeds and space in between their crops as well

I have very sandy soil, that doesn't hold water, but just because I sometimes have to use a hose doesn't mean that I spray water all over the place.

Anne you beat me to it ;)

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 11:53 »
That's certainly going to be considerably more work! i would argue that watering with a hose is more efficient as one can more easily water deeply and therefore less often. Using a hose does not mean I'm wasting water by watering weeds. Weeding regularly eliminates watering weeds. 🌱
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 20:06 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41 »

I agree. If they knew the taps were for allotments I would be surprised if taps with non return valves were not fitted. It may be worth checking that the taps are not non return already.

Even if you have to contribute towards the cost it may be worth having the taps changed.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44 »
Its all just a front to get rid of plots, making it harder work means more elderly people will struggle.
Yes more hard work with two toddlers in tow.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 12:52 »
Simples - problem solved!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 13:26 »
Simples - problem solved!

Apparently not.  :( they have already made the decision

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 13:37 »
Hoses haven't been allowed on my plot in the last 10 years I have been there. We have troughs and use watering cans unless like today we actually get some rain. Most plot holders supplement with water collection from their shed roof.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 14:06 »
Hose pipes are banned on our site as well, although early birds and night owls can sometimes be spotted secretly using them  :lol:

A thought that may help - check if the rule change is specifically targeted at using hosepipes to put water direct onto the ground. Several people on our site use a hose to fill a dipping tank or water butt they have installed on their plot.  You can get non-return hose fittings so you can ensure the water does not travel back from the hose into the water supply  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 15:36 »
Its hoses in any form, not even allowed to connect to the tap, they are removing the screw fixings this week.

simonwatson

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 16:06 »
Can your allotment society stretch to a couple IBC water containers (£50-£100 from ebay) and a small diesel/petrol pump (or electric pump plus solar panel plus inverter)? You can even bury the containers. Fill the containers from the taps in some way and jobs a goodun. Alternatively run hose from the closest shed rooves or water butt overflows.

If you can't bury them you can grow stuff on the outside of them.

You can usually find a retired engineer or two on a plot who could design and set up something very creative.

xx
Slug pellets going to be banned?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 23:20
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Does anyone use hoses on their allotments ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 21:06
by Baz
xx
Watering with Hoses - am I evil?

Started by acetaria on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 16:18
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 30 queries.