Slug pellets going to be banned?

• 18 Replies

Goldfinger

Slug pellets going to be banned?
« on: May 18, 2013, 13:55 »

Can someone investigate please?

Heard it off a farmer friend that in a few years time, that'll be it for the pellet?

Beetroot queen

Re: Slug pellets going to be banned?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 13:56 »
I can feel a stock pile coming on. I hope not we have a real problem with slugs.

Anyone for slug kebabs gotta do something with em.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 14:04 »
he may have seen an update to this.......................
http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/12/02/2009/114224/campaign-to-save-slug-pellets-launched.htm

There are a lot of petitions by the wildlife lobby asking for a ban - used responsibly they shouldn't be a problem, though.

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 14:23 »
Won't bother me, I do not use them anyway.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 15:11 »

I prefer to use the white powder/crystals you dissolve in water and water onto the ground.  It gets them little beggers the keeled slugs that stay below ground and is safe to wildlife.

I used to use "Fertosan" but since that product has got the chop. . .It is now "slug gone" or is it "Slug Off" !

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 15:41 »

I prefer to use the white powder/crystals you dissolve in water and water onto the ground.  It gets them little beggers the keeled slugs that stay below ground and is safe to wildlife.

I used to use "Fertosan" but since that product has got the chop. . .It is now "slug gone" or is it "Slug Off" !

Cheers,   Tony.

Sounds like the same stuff farmers are switching to too.

Water soluble stuff he's using now.....

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 16:48 »
Last time I used pellets was because the old fellow next door bought us some dahlias for our garden – another neighbour's cat investigated and was put on a course of tablets to relieve the spasms - sustainable gardening makes sense and costs nothing

al78

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 17:11 »
Last time I used pellets was because the old fellow next door bought us some dahlias for our garden – another neighbour's cat investigated and was put on a course of tablets to relieve the spasms - sustainable gardening makes sense and costs nothing

Problem is "sustainable gardening" requires getting an ecological balance between predators and pests, and left alone it can take a while for that balance to be established, during which you end up putting a lot of effort into trying to grow things only to have it repeatedly destroyed.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 18:59 »
Try me!

I'll buy as many as I need from then on!

Fed up with the blasted EU police telling me what to do.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 19:00 »
And that goes for Bordeaux mixture as well.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 19:30 »

Can someone investigate please?

You could? ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 19:41 »
i've stopped using them as my ducks have taken over the anti-slug role.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 20:06 »
Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but will the organic blue pellets of doom (ferric phosphate) be ok?  They're my faves as I've found them to be very effective and there are no bodies to clear up....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 06:39 »
It looks like they're the only 'organic' way to top molluscs, Auntie, so yup, it seems they're fine!

No doubt some twit in Brussels will say it musn't be blue for some reason, and form a committee, but as always, do what you think fit - we do!

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 14:02 »
 we do have slugs and snails on our plot but they cause little damage - we won't use pesticides - this piece about Iron Phosphate may be of interest: http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/RRIronPhosphate.htm

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this but here's a bit of a blog from a friend who now lives in France:

The biggest problem is that the 'traditional' method of control has had a 'catch 22' effect, whilst killing the slugs and snails effectively it also led to a decline in the predators of these animals. The second major factor is the UK's passion for keeping cats. A Basque 'soils' man who was working with us last year was astounded by the size of the UK cat population and directly blamed them for our slug and snail problem. He was adamant, (although I doubt this is backed up by any academic research), that as the Basque people had to resort to eating all their cats during the Spanish Civil War the population of cats is minimal and as such the traditional predators of slugs and snails, namely, bird's particularly Thrush, Slow Worms, Hedgehogs and Toads are common and will keep the gastropods under control.

I would not dare to utter that there needs to be a cat cull in the UK, to satisfy horticulture, as I do not wish a lynch mob out to get me.

Living in France it is very evident that there is little problems with slugs and snails, (whilst the common guess at this would be that they eat them - this is not true, where I am at least). The cat population is lower here, but I don't think this is the answer either.

The French are brilliant at 'sustainable' gardening, there is no altruism to it, they are certainly not all green minded either. It simply makes sense and costs nothing. As such around most of the vegetable plots and in 'Potager' gardens, they have an arsenal of little habitats constructed into gardens to make suitable homes for the predators they need to encourage.

Toads are treated with reverence here, rightly so, their ability to significantly reduce a population of slugs is fantastic. As such holes dug into the ground at a slight angle can be found everywhere. The walls of these holes are usually old slates and in some cases I have seen sections of concrete drainage about 500mm long just inserted into the ground with a loose flat stone on top. These little burrows can house up to 5 or 6 large toads at a time.

Dry stone walls or habitat piles are deliberately constructed to allow for habitats, slow worms are very common and are voracious predators on both slugs and snails. A collapsed section of wall I have seen near here actually has small chambers carefully built into the bottom. The entrances are built to encourage hedgehogs.

xx
slug pellets

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 06:56
by misterroy
xx
slug pellets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:23
by Candide
xx
Slug pellets

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 10:41
by georget
xx
slug pellets

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 11:59
by peapod

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 38 queries.