We have been banned from using hoses

• 34 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: We have been banned from using hoses
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 16:23 »
Couldn't they just fit a non return valve on the taps?
Simples - problem solved!

Apparently not.  :( they have already made the decision

If it is about run off then I don't think  non-return valves would make any difference to the level of risk.

Technically we are not allowed to use hoses to water with; our water comes direct from bore holes rather than mains, so is cost free. Using a hose to fill cans is allowed, and if there is no spray nozzle on the hose water goes exactly where it is needed  ;)

We are nowhere near any habitation whatsoever.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 19:37 »
We've never been able to use hosepipes and it hasn't caused us any problems. I am just greatful we have taps - I know some sites that have none!

Laurentius

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 22:58 »
We can only use hoses to fill our water butts and water tanks, but not to directly water our plots. Apparantly there is nothing to stop a plot holder from sinking a bore hole though.

brianc

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 23:57 »
Hi all.
I have one tap at the side of my plot and one tap at the bottom of my plot.
Lucky me , we have one tap to every two plots. I use a watering can for every thing except my potatoes which
i use a hose on, i can not be bothered to keep getting the hose out but some people do.
If you use a hose pipe it is surprising how much water it takes to penetrate any depth.
I also have a large trough at one of my taps which i keep filled up so i do not have to wait filling cans.
Am i lucky or not.

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 06:41 »
We never water a garden, but just use plenty of mulch material around the plants and let them form roots that mine deep for moisture and nutrients.  Once you start watering a garden it sort of keeps those root systems shallow and then you have to keep watering after that.   

Might be a good alternative folks who cannot carry water back and forth.   

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 07:19 »
We have taps and dip tank however the council have informed us that they are having to check all the allotment set ups for legionella as it is a legal requirement and we may loose our dip tanks.

We are not allowed to permanently connect a hose to the tap we have however fitted a hoselok type connector using a short pipe and a non return end. Any hoses fixed directly to taps are cut off by the parks department.

2 or 3 way splitter are then used to attach based on how many people want to water. There are a number of hoses that all go up to the taps, and they are attached by the individual when they want to water.

We are not allowed to use un attended ends like sprinklers, although we have one guy who does.

I have a watering system set up along my allotment so I have hoses with guns every other set of beds so I don't have to drag a hose around so a main line down the path and four offsets with one hose and gun so I can go either side of the path. Hose cut for longest reach required due to shape of plot

I use pop bottles with end caps and holes made with mapping pins sunk into the beds so that I water mainly at depth and make the root go find the water. Planting using weed membrane with planting holes sorts out my spacing, lets rainwater in but also acts like a mulch to keep down evaporation.

For me watering when required needs about being effective and quick, I don't have all day to faff around.

I also have a blue water butt on the shed - two water butts on the greenhouse which can be connected to the system. Plus I have comfrey tea and nettle tea in water butts on draft for use with a watering can when feeding rather than watering.

2014-06-07 Watering System.jpg
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:39 by cadalot »

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 08:06 »
That seems a pretty harsh comment steve

Really? I can use  a hosepipe /sprinkler and choose not to . So you dont agree,  thats fine but it hardly makes it a harsh comment, merely my opinion and nothing more.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

dugless

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 08:11 »
On a general note Why is it that things that have worked perfectly well for years suddenly have to regulated  ::)
it seems endemic of these time.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

cadalot

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 08:28 »
Steve the Harsh part was "I think all hoses and therefore sprinklers should be banned on allotments"

That removes choice

I have made my case and I have an extended hose system on my plot for ease of use - but I don't use sprinklers I water at depth, an I use a watering can for feeding my plants

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 12:40 »
We're allowed hoses, and I wouldn't like to see them banned as a fair number of our members could carry cans. But there are some proper daft watering habits as a consequence, plus people hogging the taps for ages in summer.

I choose to water with cans - we have dip tanks so it's quick and then I have a better idea of how much water I am using. I have 4 water butts too, so sometimes I use the hose to fill those up.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 12:43 »
We have water butts x6 etc etc so its not laziness. Our plots are on a real slope so its hard work. I was merely saying its not meant to upset anyone. Seriously people it was just a comment, every one has an opinion mine is its a daft excuse and an even dafter idea. End of

dugless

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 16:24 »
I don't have the choice we do not have any water taps, :( If I run out of water in the butts I take it up with a caravan roll along water container ::).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 16:47 »
We have water butts x6 etc etc so its not laziness. Our plots are on a real slope so its hard work. I was merely saying its not meant to upset anyone.

Don't worry BQ - your post really didn't upset anyone.

Someone else, who seemed to imply that using a hose was simply laziness, and always wasted water - pushed all the wrong buttons at the time.
Everything has calmed down now, though...............

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 17:08 »
I still stand and stare at out IBCs, wondering if I can get a syphon going as we're on a slope...

Sometimes it seems to be a good idea, sometimes not!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 17:20 »
Go on - you know you wanna  :lol:

It's a challenge - can you resist?  ;)

xx
Slug pellets going to be banned?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 23:20
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Does anyone use hoses on their allotments ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 21:06
by Baz
xx
Watering with Hoses - am I evil?

Started by acetaria on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 16:18
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 38 queries.