Tomatos Sulking

• 20 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Tomatos Sulking
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 18:34 »
Any time they are lacking magnesium they will suffer as they can't produce their chlorophyll. 

Yes, good point, I was assuming "Young plant" and "Fresh compost" and therefore improbable that the Magnesium could be used up.  If I try substituting "Compost supplier skimped" or even "reusing compost" the rest falls into place easily enough :)

oldgrunge

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 20:56 »
Could be several things - Overwatering, cold, too much sun (That would account for the dry leaf, but not the yellow look.
Don't wish to be unkind, but if they were mine, I wouldn't waste time trying to revive them, as now they will never make good plants anyway.
Start again, there's plenty of time.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 21:22 »
Whilst I don't disagree with "start again" I'd be keen to know the cause.  If it is Pilot Error then I'd not want to do it again ... if it is poisonous potting compost I'd want to start with some fresh stuff - ditto draughty window, sunlight too strong ...

Might be worth persevering with the existing plants (move to different windowsill, stop watering all together) to see what, if anything, perks them up which is likely to help pinpoint the cause whilst at the same time sowing some more as backups.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 21:22 »
I agree with that, oldgrunge.

Goosegirl

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15 »
I agree with olgrunge and AS. My thoughts are similar to those already expressed such as poor compost, over-watering, and over-feeding as seedlings don't need much in the way of food until potting-on time. Even if they do pick up, they will have suffered and be more prone to diseases etc. There's still plenty of time to sow some more toms and hopefully produce healthier plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 21:04 »
Thanks for all the replies people, they were started a bit early because I had itchy fingers, I'm planning on keeping them in a cold greenhouse (maby one or two outside)
temperature and sun scorch are a real possibility I did turn them round to take a pic and they have lived upstairs on a south facing windowsill which I don't think gets that cold. But as someone mentioned the peppers are also suffering.
I have now potted them on with some newly bought compost with vitamax in and I will also give them a bit of a feed.
I also noticed that there wasn't as much roots as I thought there would be so I'm going to keep an eye on the watering.

xx
Everything Sulking....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

66 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 14:44
by chillimummy
xx
Aubergines sulking

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 21:20
by sunshineband
xx
Sulking Garlic

Started by suedenim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 18:09
by Halteres
xx
Sulking cukes

Started by NewSteve on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 13:19
by NewSteve

Page created in 0.637 seconds with 28 queries.