• 923 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #510 on: May 09, 2015, 07:25 »

First batch of corn lol

Steveharford

« Reply #511 on: May 09, 2015, 09:22 »
Just given my indoor spuds in pots a good feed of comfrey tea. Ive decided to really feed and water them well this year as i didnt get much of a yield last year. Although that may have been because i moved them outside about now to make way for the tomatoes.
Later i am going to have to remove the weed suppressant membrane, through which my onions and garlic are growing as there is obviously too much light getting through and the weeds are pushing the membrane up. I should have covered it with bark chippings if i had realised sooner. Pity as it was all looking very neat. 😞

snowdrops

« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2015, 09:37 »
Just given my indoor spuds in pots a good feed of comfrey tea. Ive decided to really feed and water them well this year as i didnt get much of a yield last year. Although that may have been because i moved them outside about now to make way for the tomatoes.
Later i am going to have to remove the weed suppressant membrane, through which my onions and garlic are growing as there is obviously too much light getting through and the weeds are pushing the membrane up. I should have covered it with bark chippings if i had realised sooner. Pity as it was all looking very neat. 😞

Can you cover the weed membrane to stop the light until the weeds die, thick card cut into strips & weighted down would work or add the bark clippings on top of the membrane. Then at the end of the season you can reuse them
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Steveharford

« Reply #513 on: May 09, 2015, 09:48 »
Hi Snows I was hoping to do that but i have left them to grow too big. They are poking well up through the same hole as the onions. If i had done it when the weeds were small I think it would have worked. My own lazy fault.

Ema

« Reply #514 on: May 09, 2015, 10:04 »
Beetroot queen your plot looks immaculate!
Popped down yesterday, hoed around a few beds, harvested so much rhubarb sand mint. Made note of everything I should do in the next 2 weeks - a lot!   

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #515 on: May 09, 2015, 10:34 »
Beetroot queen your plot looks immaculate!
Popped down yesterday, hoed around a few beds, harvested so much rhubarb sand mint. Made note of everything I should do in the next 2 weeks - a lot!

Thanks thats the middle one of three LOL our first plot to take on back in 2008

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #516 on: May 09, 2015, 12:06 »
I went down and had planned to make up my arch climbing frame for cucumbers and also to paint a rescued 'cold frame'.

However, when I got to the plot I discovered the arch needed a screwdriver to assemble  >:( the weather was also very breezy and damp so not ideal for painting!

So I dug out the foundations for the arch, netted the strawberries which are starting to fruit and then had a potter, trying to decide what I will do with the last area I need to clear this summer. Choices are another couple of beds (but do I really need that many?!) or perhaps some sort of seating area. I need some inspiration!

LotuSeed

« Reply #517 on: May 09, 2015, 15:49 »
RJR a pond? A fire pit with seating area? Up cycled pallet furniture?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #518 on: May 09, 2015, 19:27 »
Like RJR I dug out my last large bed.  I'm thinking brassica bed myself, with a nice proper sized net I can walk under  8) some of my PSB is as tall as me now-I've already got a private seating area I can relax in- it was the first thing that got sited  ;)

Made a much better shelter for the cucumber area as my neighbour had offered me a large uPCV ex-conservatory sheet, rude to say no  :D
Cleared some of the PSB, strawed the strabs (and was well proud when the guy with the best plot stopped by and admired the strawbs)- mind you they are covered with flowers....
Chucked seeds around, not holding up much hope- the slugs just munch them up.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #519 on: May 09, 2015, 19:47 »
Bought a great compost stirrer from a boot  sale this morning and gave it some use  by turning over the full dalek- a great buy at £2 as it made the job easy

weeded and generally tidied up plot 2 , gave all the plants a liquid manure feed, planted  3 foxgloves in the small area I have set aside for a flower bed
collected and disposed of yet another full bucket of stones and glass
tidied up the cloches and suspended them from the shed roof as I hope they are not now needed until next spring

my better half also weeded plot 1 and transplanted some little gem lettuce.
I have some DIY to do tomorrow but I hope to have a spare hour to go to plot 2 and mow the paths

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #520 on: May 09, 2015, 23:23 »
RJR a pond? A fire pit with seating area? Up cycled pallet furniture?

No point having a pond - the small site is surrounded by 2 fairly large streams with canals and lakes only minutes away! I would love to up cycle some pallets but transporting them is an issue without a car.... I got 2 down here before for my decking but it did nearly kill me and my arms were useless for about a week after...

Fire pit is a possibility

miggs

« Reply #521 on: May 10, 2015, 11:15 »
Not a lot yesterday or today. SWMBO decided at short notice that the hall, stairs and landing need decorating. I have just got back from B & Q for some more paint.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #522 on: May 10, 2015, 13:20 »
Cleared the old leeks finally, cursed mr fox for rolling on my beetroot for the hundredth time this season.
Now bean frame going up and beans going in. Kitchen barrel going up the hill to join the compost mountain.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #523 on: May 10, 2015, 14:00 »
Spent a couple of hours yesterday evening and another couple this morning up at the plot. Beans, runner and climbing French are in as are sweet corn, squash (4 varieties) and the chillies are in the green house, Phew!
Eight barrow loads of well rotted muck, from the communal heap just delivered, are around the fruit trees and ready to be covered with membrane  :D

chillimummy

« Reply #524 on: May 10, 2015, 14:52 »
Planted my main crop potatoes and four rows of  cauli plants.
Next time will plant onions from seed and sew beetroot, turnip and spinach. Weeded around strawberries.
Lovely day. Plots very busy.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.922 seconds with 32 queries.