What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Lardman

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #495 on: May 04, 2015, 21:20 »
Rebuilt one of the rotten raised beds - very disappointed with the timber, it hasn't even lasted 5 years.  :( It's a foot shorter at 8x3' but gives an extra foot for me to walk and harvest the raspberries.

Still not sown anything to put in the beds outside though  :ohmy:  :nowink:

Beekissed

« Reply #496 on: May 04, 2015, 23:02 »
Cut and fit landscaping timbers around the base of the fence we are building around the garden, trimmed off the posts to the same height with the chainsaw.  Tilled the ground for the 4th time...still needs another go round. 

Waiting for a load or two of wood chips to place on the garden. 

Yana

« Reply #497 on: May 06, 2015, 07:32 »
Went up late yesterday to see if the strong winds had done any damage. Apart from a few odd bits blown around, all safe and sound. The broad beans I put in as plants last week were holding up ok, glad about that.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #498 on: May 06, 2015, 08:19 »
Got the brocolli in and netted in the rain, it was planned for the night before but rain stopped play.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #499 on: May 06, 2015, 19:49 »

Carried on redigging the bed, the soil is mostly nice now. Too windy to lay membrane over it though. Did an experiment making membrane staples with fencing wire - works quite nicely - so took woofer round to where I thought there was an old fallen down fence to reclaim the wire - unfortunately somebody had beaten me to it. Have another source for some disused fence wire though. Took my big bucket (a horses giant water bucket) full of stones to the bottom of the lotty and dumped them into the hedging out of the way. Moved some carpet to expose the next digging patch...
Everything spotty....

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #500 on: May 06, 2015, 19:57 »
dashed down inbetween showers to throw beans into the nice damp warmish soil.  Got some runners, some pole french and the red broad bean sowings in.  The early Peas gone mad in the rain and looking nice and lush.  weeds just falling out of the soil with a little tug. 

Lifted the fleece from the early dwarf french bean sowing and whilst they've germinated ok the * sluggys had got a good percentage..downside of the rain I guess  :wacko: .re pelleted and chucked more seeds in there.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #501 on: May 06, 2015, 20:27 »
Quick half an hour down the plot topping up the compost Dalek 1

Many blow aways on other plots had gone in the wind, thankfully my plots had no damage

Took the cloches off the potatoes hope the frost has gone apart from a few weeds the both plots are looking fine

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #502 on: May 06, 2015, 21:58 »
planted 3 rows of Bedfordshire Champion seedlings and finalised the details of starting my new job tomorrow ;)

pompeyboy61

« Reply #503 on: May 08, 2015, 16:14 »
Planted three rows of dwarf Kale and netted . Put in a row of Spinach seeds and covered with fleece . Weeded as the recent rain had produce a lot of little weeds . Cut Asparagus and collected Rhubarb foe a crumble tonight . Potted on Tomatoes in the greenhouse. Everything starting to come together which normally means a disaster is around the corner .

Eblana

« Reply #504 on: May 08, 2015, 16:34 »
Spent most of yesterday on the plot with OH.  Forked over four of the beds.  Strimmed all the paths, racked them and composted the cut grass, tied in all the fruit that we had untied when we were putting up the fence.  Earthed up the first earlies.  The plot looks great now.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #505 on: May 08, 2015, 17:58 »
Put in some more DFB under the gooseberries, which need netting asap as they are vanishing rapidly (tomorrow's job). Started digging the bottom bed over in preparation for onions going in, and I am finding masses and masses of horsetail.  At least I can recognise the roots now.  ::) Moved a waterbutt into the hedge- though the base I bought seems to be too small and I can't find the receipt anywhere. Hopefully it will do.

Still no sign of the parsnips.

Yana

« Reply #506 on: May 08, 2015, 21:34 »
Tied the bamboo canes in place for the strawberry netting. Trying to stop two-legged variety stealing crop like they did last year.
Weeded raspberry beds, onions and very carefully around parsnip seedlings that have just begun to emerge.
Sowed another two lots of carrots.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #507 on: May 08, 2015, 22:16 »
Dug over sweetcorn bed incorporated manure and some mushroom compost.
Harvested asparagus after weeding the beds.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Flowertot

« Reply #508 on: May 08, 2015, 22:51 »
Hand weeded the carrot/parsnip bed, potted on the broccoli and cutting flowers as their beds are not ready yet, earthed up potatoes, fed the leeks and got excited that the green, yellow and purple varieties of French beans sown by my 2 small people last weekend are already starting to come up in their root trainers  :).

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #509 on: May 09, 2015, 07:02 »
My corn went out at 18 inches in 3 inch pots it had no choice it is in a mini plastic cage lol I'll upload a pic

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 36 queries.