What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #480 on: May 03, 2015, 20:28 »
Put out the outdoor cucumber, we had no choice they are starting to flower. They are now in a fleece bubble, they have two choices.

Robster

« Reply #481 on: May 03, 2015, 21:08 »
Beetroot Queen, I've got a cucumber under a bell cloche outside and two in the green house.  Good luck.

Sowed all my first sowing of tender beans.  Including Pea Beans that a friend introduced me to.  Sowed chard and some more beetroot and carrots.

Planted out some more cabbage and cauliflowers

Green house tomatoes and chillies all in place.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #482 on: May 04, 2015, 08:43 »
Covered fruit cage with netting collected rhubarb for crumble!! 😊

Cheers HH
Keep digging

miggs

« Reply #483 on: May 04, 2015, 08:54 »
Nothing yesterday, spent all afternoon in the potting shed sowing new seeds. Should be there later today to finish off the weeding between the onions and shallots.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #484 on: May 04, 2015, 14:50 »
Dug over the last 2 beds, planted out the first sowing of mangetout and directly sowed the second batch.

Sowed some carrot seeds and re-sowed my parsnips as despite chitting them I have no shows for the ones I put out 2 weeks ago  :mad: one year I will get parsnips to germinate.....

I also took a gamble and planted out my first sowing of runner bean plants - they have been in my blowaway on the balcony for about 3 weeks now and were getting a bit too big for their pots. We are not forecast any night temps below 8 for the next 10 days and are meant to have warm days so have taken the risk. I have my second sowing just emerging in their pots so if I lose them it won't be the end of the world.

I also picked some rhubarb from my huge rhubarb jungle (honestly the 3 crowns I've got could feed the whole town)  :wub:

miggs

« Reply #485 on: May 04, 2015, 16:45 »
As above, dug over some beds, weeded as I said earlier. Planted 3 rows of main crops spuds (King Edwards), then planted out 24 Broad Beans. Lot's more to go in over the next few weeks, just like everyone else.

AnneB

« Reply #486 on: May 04, 2015, 17:14 »
Sowed my carrots and parsnips.  Planted out spring onions and onions from seed.  Weeded.  Took the fleece off the spuds and earthed them up.

Then helped OH put the plastic on the polytunnel.  We were given an old polytunnel that has been awaiting installation for some time.  OH had to devise a way of attaching it to an existing dwarf wall from an old greenhouse on our plot and this has taken a while.   The plastic has been sat rolled up for nearly 12 months.  We took it out to the park next door to unfold it and repair it before rolling it back up to put over the frame.   It was filthy and we ended up looking like a couple of coal miners, but the cover is on!   Further adjustments still needed but progress.

grendel

« Reply #487 on: May 04, 2015, 18:29 »
not at the plot but garden has been tidied, several tip trips with rubbish, and the plastic and aluminium 4x6 greenhouse we picked up second hand last year has been built (only 1 error in putting the roof on backwards (no instructions)). roof is glazed but the rain started before I could get the sides on.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #488 on: May 04, 2015, 18:53 »
Hubby going in the rain to put in brocolli lol any excuse to avoid the teenager  ::) apparently it cant wait a day longer.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #489 on: May 04, 2015, 19:30 »
topped up Dalek 1 with two sacks  of seaweed ( also collected today)  this one  is now full and I can now start Dalek 2 , loads of weeding and filled up the water butt which also has a quarter  hessian sack of rotted manure in it.

strimmed around the  plot boundary to tidy it up- a busy 5 hours

snowdrops

« Reply #490 on: May 04, 2015, 19:40 »
Loads of muck spreading, earthed up the spuds,hooray they've surfaced, then I added some manure to the trench,I didn't have any when I planted them so I hope this approach works. Then I made a mini lasagne bed for the brassicas. Then I set up my sealed compost bin under the cherry tree,first laying lots of weed membrane around the tree & fruit bushes.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #491 on: May 04, 2015, 20:37 »

Layed membrane on my redug bed, cut out holes for planting, planted romanesca seedlings. Made some more membrane staples and cleared some bricks holding the membrane down to use on the redug bed.

OH chopped tree, cut back some bramble and built some more burn piles. Filled my multitude of recycling bags and planted squash/pumpkin seedlings. Planted on toms and cucumbers in growbags in the greenhouse. Planted bean seedlings and did a whole lot of other things that I've just not got around to. Dug a bit more of asparagus beds.
Everything spotty....

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #492 on: May 04, 2015, 20:37 »
Sieved the clay soil on one of my raised beds - what a difference, I now have a fine tilth (top layer at least). Not quite sure what to do with the clay balls I have been left with? I'll put them to one side just now with the weeds to dry out.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

Eblana

« Reply #493 on: May 04, 2015, 20:49 »
Forked over two beds and removed the weeds from them only three more to go.  Planted out my onions grown from seed.  Hopefully will get a couple of hours tomorrow as I want to fork over the remaining three beds and sow some carrots, parsnips and beetroot.  I also need to earth up the potatoes in the PT.

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #494 on: May 04, 2015, 21:01 »
Pottered a lot, lots of raking to get the allium bed to a tilth, potted my Roma tomatoes into the pots they'll be growing in (33% clay soil, 33% clay soil mixed in with manure, 33% compost). Reorganised the greenhouse. Killed a couple of slugs.

Planted my Zebrune shallot seedlings for next year (about 40), sowed Camelot 10 shallots seedlings. Gave away Elefant leek seedlings, and the spare shallot seedlings. Ate cake and drank tea :)

Got talked at instead of planting my onion seedlings, then got rained on.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 36 queries.