What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!

caroline800

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #256 on: March 17, 2015, 23:23 »
turned up!!   :tongue2:

finally had a day off work and nothing else pressing to fit it, so managed to get quite a bit done  :D

pruned the pear tree and fruit bushes, weeded round bases etc.

dug over patch where I had spread partly cooked compost heap over cardboard Nov/Dec time.  most of it had reduced down enough to dig in but what was still too lumpy I put back in one of the daleks, layered it with the manure/scraps that had been cooking in there and watered - it filled the bin!

planted rhubarb crowns (6) from B&Q and a gooseberry which I had layered from one of the other bushes last year.  Also broadcast some broad beans in the space next to this patch.

lightly raked over and fluffed up asparagus bed and broadcast some old green manure mustard I found in the shed.

probably too early but used up the weedkiller on the area where the potatoes are going, grass seemed to be growing so hope it does the job!  scattered some more of the mustard for good measure too.  checked on the potatoes (covered in the greenhouse) and they seem to be chitting ok.

weeded around the garlic rows and raked up the sides - all seems to be growing well  :)

had a bonfire of the brambles and prunings

sprained my ankle  :(

came home and sorted out the conservatory to find space to sow seeds.

put daliahs in trays to sprout, put sweet peas in water to soak, sowed various flowers and veggies so now conservatory is full of pots and trays!  :D

don't often get a day to do what I want, so pleased I was able to make the most of it!!  8)

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2015, 15:05 »
Put weed fabric and bark chipping down on the greenhouse path, fitted two water butts and connected them to the three I already have by the shed.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2015, 16:16 »
Guess what!! :D

More DIGGING!! :D :D :D
Sowed some carrot seeds too ;) :)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2015, 17:34 »
Went down in glorious sunshine, filled a bag with the ash from yesterday's bonfire and dug over the ground.  Tidied up 3 other beds and planted out ( by infilling on the main onion bed) the rest of the Sturon sets. Now all I've got to do is make sure I weed it often enough to allow them to grow!  Also took 24 small potted up tomato plants to leave in my plot neighbours greenhouse, she has nothing else in there yet - must ring to tell her I've started!

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2015, 18:28 »
Did some finishing touches to another wicking planter and shredded old egg boxes and lots of corrugated cardboard ready for the grass clippings glut, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2015, 19:55 »
Guess what!! :D

More DIGGING!! :D :D :D

Me too!!! Got quite in the swing of it. Would have carried on all afternoon but horses needed bringing in and riding...

Jostaberry canes arrived today along with some white pumpkin seeds (to replace the ones that the woofer ate). Noticed that Lidl have joined Aldi in with bush/strabs special tomorrow except that lidl are doing different varieties of strawbs (and no tayberry/loganberry canes).
Everything spotty....

Yana

« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2015, 22:07 »
Kestrel potatoes planted out, along with a couple of rows of peas.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

jmc1949

« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2015, 15:22 »
Planted out the potatoes (can't remember variety but they are first earlies), also planted out the early onward peas. I've put fleece round the peas as we get a stiff sea breeze across the site. Sowed carrots, Nantes 5 and Parnsip Little Gem and then sowed wild flower seeds at the back of the plot.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #264 on: March 19, 2015, 20:19 »

Visited multiple aldi's to get 5xTayberry, 5xLoganberrys, 2xGreen Gooseberrys, 1xWhitecurrant and 24xstrawberrys. That's my fruit bed sorted except for some more strawbobs and possibly a bilberry. Planted the whitecurrant and goosegogs before my trowel became an ex-trowel.

Stacked up a load of bricks near the gate for taking to the tip.

Took a trip round Anchor Supplies (a large army surplus that has so much stuff it's unbelievable) to see if there was anything that I could use for making staples for membrane and any other stuff that may come in handy. Came away empty handed which surprised me.

snowdrops

« Reply #265 on: March 19, 2015, 20:45 »

Visited multiple aldi's to get 5xTayberry, 5xLoganberrys, 2xGreen Gooseberrys, 1xWhitecurrant and 24xstrawberrys. That's my fruit bed sorted except for some more strawbobs and possibly a bilberry. Planted the whitecurrant and goosegogs before my trowel became an ex-trowel.

Stacked up a load of bricks near the gate for taking to the tip.

Took a trip round Anchor Supplies (a large army surplus that has so much stuff it's unbelievable) to see if there was anything that I could use for making staples for membrane and any other stuff that may come in handy. Came away empty handed which surprised me.

I went to Lidl today & they had 4 varieties of strawberries, 6 for £2.99. Good looking plants too. Thanks to another thread on here :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2015, 21:37 »
I went to Lidl today & they had 4 varieties of strawberries, 6 for £2.99. Good looking plants too. Thanks to another thread on here :D

:)

Also went to Lidl to get strawbs, but the one I visited didn't have any, and I only knew where one Lidl was - plan is to look up stores and go after I've put my telescope away tomorrow morning to get some.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2015, 23:23 »
Had a good session down the plot this morning tidied up and burnt rubbish in incinerator. (Surprised though to find that the bottom has burnt through!!) kept up my attack on the couch grass in my asparagus plot. A bit amazed by the amount that is still there.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2015, 23:37 »
Cut some autumn raspberries and some unwanted wild brambles - that will probably be grateful for the prune and come back with abundance! Spread out my first bale of barley straw mulch.  Put chicken pellets on the summer raspberry canes, currant bushes and blueberries. Also put some of the stuff that make the soil acidic on the blueberries.

After reading this thread i'm stopping at Lidl tomorrow to get some new strawberry plants. Need to decide whether to make a new patch on the ground or put them in my raised planter.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2015, 23:45 »
Not so busy as some of you! Finished stapling up the last bit of the windbreak fencing round the plot. Only the gate to make and fix now - hopefully tomorrow - yay!! Quite proud of myself. Didn't think I could sink 24 6ft fence posts and build a very decent looking fence, but I've done it! That's why I love allotments - you find ways to do things you never believed you could do.
I don't really look like my avatar.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

59 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 20:33
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.81 seconds with 32 queries.