What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Muls

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2015, 20:03 »
Digging , on a new plot that is 6 foot high in bind weed and couch grass. I limit myself to 3 runs of digging at a time, then move back to the "up together" plot for reassurance that I am doing ok really!

Scottish Mike

« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2015, 23:02 »
Digging again today. The soil I'm digging consists of loads of couch grass strands, mint roots and strawberry runners everywhere. So far filled a 125L empty compost sack full with roots and strands. Cleared a 3x2m area out of a total of 5x4m. It's slow going!

If the weather holds up tomorrow going to take a break from digging and do some hedge cutting.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2015, 23:23 »
Am actually very envious of all the posts about digging. I won't be able to do any of that till the plot dries out, which I reckon will be the end of March....

Sowed peas, cornflowers, marigolds and pricked out some more chillies into small pots. Twiddled thumbs.  :)

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2015, 08:35 »
. So far filled a 125L empty compost sack full with roots and strands.
Hi SM, those roots have robbed nutrients from your plot, if you put them in a barrel and fill with water you should get them all back again as liquid fertiliser, cheers Dave

Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2015, 15:19 »
Planted my bare rooted strawberries that arrived yesterday, dug my bean trench and filled it with muck (bit late I know) and found this lady also working hard. Spring it definitely on the way!!! :D

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2015, 17:19 »

Digging - some parts are very clay and as such sticky as hell, but I hit a nice patch today which was nice.

Twerping (Tame Wildlife Escape Ruination and Prevention device) now completely finished. Photo's attached.
twerp01.jpg
twerp02.jpg
twerp04.jpg
twerp05.jpg
Everything spotty....

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2015, 17:20 »

Oh and drank lots of allotment tea with Frost...

frost_tea.jpg

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2015, 17:43 »

Oh and put some cauli & romensca seeds in newspaper pots in the greenhouse....

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2015, 19:57 »

Saw my first bee of the year...

Started to dig out the remaining soil pile in the corner of the allotment so I can plant rhubarb, also tried out my builders bags for planting potatoes in - the results were disappointing - they don't hold their shape very well and are too large.... Had to dash to shed for one almighty downpour...  So! Have decided that tyre stacks are the best way to go for potatoes as it means that once a year they get cleared down and the bricks can be moved to clear any weed roots on top of weed membrane. The builders bags can be used for ferrying well rotted horse muck (100 yards from allotments) once I have built my human/canine wagon (from an old ikea cabin bed) and also for storing the top soil I'm digging out where I'm going to need it (once I've mined out the sandstone).

Have arranged to get some rounded steel that our farrier has in his shed and isn't using, for making membrane staples. Our farrier also knows where I can get some scaffold poles, kick boards and polypipe for free (to make polytunnel) so he's sorting that out for us!

Round our way, they use bags for recycling glass and they get blown everywhere once they've been emptied so am going to use them to plant my pumpkins in (rather than use tyre stacks) leaving tyres for potatoes.

Got growbags for toms/cucurbits.

Seeded some lettuces/rocket - many varieties....

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2015, 18:52 »
Put in two rows of early potato then covered them in fleece.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2015, 19:38 »

Sorted 9 tyre stacks ready for potatoes, another 2 just need a little extra soil to mix in the compost. Have enough tyres for 2 more stacks. Moved the builders bag from yesterdays failed attempt at seeing whether it would be good for growing potatoes in.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2015, 00:05 »
Battled the gales to put up windbreak mesh around the new half-plot, to try and cope with the awful prevailing winds. Planted some peas and broad beans in modules in the snug greenhouse, and pruned back the alstroemerias. Put up with small oik child leaning out of local window screaming: "Oi missus, are you a lesbian?" repeatedly. Cos where my plot is, most small boys who see women working alone, digging, wielding hammers etc seem to be of the opinion that they must be lesbians.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53 »
Prepared a bed for my onions. Sowed some Boltardy beetroot in a tray in my conservatory hoping to get a head start on Spring. cheers HH
Keep digging

Geordie Gal

« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2015, 15:17 »
Lovely bright morning at the coast. Plot looking quite tidy despite me doing very little since the autumn.  Today I weeded the strawberry and asparagus beds, cut back autumn raspberries and had a general tidy up.  Just the therapy I needed after a busy week at work.

snowdrops

« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2015, 15:58 »
Battled the gales to put up windbreak mesh around the new half-plot, to try and cope with the awful prevailing winds. Planted some peas and broad beans in modules in the snug greenhouse, and pruned back the alstroemerias. Put up with small oik child leaning out of local window screaming: "Oi missus, are you a lesbian?" repeatedly. Cos where my plot is, most small boys who see women working alone, digging, wielding hammers etc seem to be of the opinion that they must be lesbians.

Maybe shout back "yes, due to what the local area has to offer in males!" :lol:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 15:59 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 1.015 seconds with 29 queries.