What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Steveharford

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2015, 15:22 »
Planted my International kidney earlies into tubs. Used layers of compost with chicken manure and a layer of comfrey. Put them into the tunnel where they will stay until danger of frost has passed.

Steveharford

« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2015, 15:47 »
Oh yes. Also dressed garlic with sulphate of potash.

Natasha

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2015, 16:13 »
Planted out 33 garlics in part of the 2m x 1m area of the plot that is not currently waterlogged, in between hail showers.  A mixture of Lautrec Wight and Carcassone Wight; the Solent Wight seems to be lagging some way behind.  I overwinter them all outside in modules as they get too waterlogged otherwise.

snowdrops

« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2015, 19:10 »
Took my compost/ peelings etc plus the old compost & chilli plants that I cleared from the conservatory last week. All would have been well but for the wheelbarrow developing a flat tyre on the way :wacko:. Moved some slabs from my neighbours plot she said I could have as she has given her plot up :( :(, also her water barrel.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2015, 21:30 »
 Set out the beds and paths on plot 1, and also put up some willow fencing and timber  path edging . We also put up 1 cloche to warm the soil for the pea bed

As for plot 2 we  peeled off the fleece over the early potato beds , pulled two rows ready for bedding them in next weekend, then put the fleece back down to keep the soil warm. We also put a cloche on this plot to warm the runner bean bed

We are both dog tired  but happy to get so much done in readiness  for planting

forecast heavy rain for tomorrow
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 21:31 by Offwego »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2015, 07:25 »
Finally got around to the last bit of tidy up in the greenhouse yesterday.  Had a pot inventory and threw away a lot of excess ones.  Washed the rest and all my modules and stacked them neatly back under the staging.

Ready to go now  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2015, 08:07 »
What I am about to do is replant some onions that rabbits have disturbed, then dig out and spread the compost heap on another area, as i saw a baby rabbit go into the heap yesterday. Hopefully that should solve the problem. Then a bit of general tidying before the rain forecast for mid day.

grendel

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2015, 11:11 »
Finally despite 0 degrees and a hard frost - I got down the plot, had it all to myself until just before I left 2 hours later, strimmed the grass and weeds, used the brush cutter to shorten the raspberries (they are autumn so should be no problem) the frozen grass and weeds strimmed easily, so now everything should be ready for rotavating on the next clear day (weekend), then the beds will be covered with weed membrane and be easier for planting.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2015, 13:10 »
Have finished pruning the raspberries, top dressed the autumns.  Waiting for more dressing to do the summers.   Carried on the rough dig.  Over half way now. Weather and work permitting ill aim for an hour or so each evening this week and hopefully will be nearly done.  Picked chard, spuds (ones i put in for Christmas but forgot about!!)  leeks, baby turnips and early rhubarb.
IMGP2120.JPG
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 13:10 by scenic »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2015, 13:34 »
Helped in the allotment trading hut - sold 14 barrow loads of horse muck and 16 litres of paraffin, plus lots of bits and bobs, birdseed etc. Was absolutely b... freezing!
Anne

Yana

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2015, 14:56 »
Took up bag full of stuff for the compost bin and promised myself I would only stay half an hour as still bunged up with a cold. Well ....... It just can't be done........ I had a walk round, noticed a few pallets had gone missing from my fruit plot at the bottom end of the site, checked the strawb runners were still firmly in the ground and Mr fox hadn't dug them up, gave the compost bin a quick tickle to mix the new stuff I had just added, dug a few parsnips and leeks for dinner tonight. Saw someone I hadn't seen for ages and got talking....... Got home nearly two hours later. Whoops.  :lol:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

blackberryjam

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2015, 16:32 »
Last of the beds dug over, chicken pellets sprinkled over beds. Tools cleaned , Shed tided, Just before it started to Rain.

oldgrunge

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2015, 20:30 »
Fed and mulched summer raspberries, cut back and top dressed mint. Tidied greenhouse after last weeks deep clean. Potted up shallots, noticed some of the Golden Gourmet have started to go mouldy, put them in anyway. Started to prune back and repot fuchsias, a lot have had their roots chewed off by vine weevil. Noticed window cleaner has put his foot through the top of my storage box - grrrr! wait till I see him.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2015, 21:05 »

Digging! For some reason, digging has been a little easier despite the amount of rain, seems that stripmining (brushcutting right down to the ground) has made a difference.... Interrupted only slightly by a mass hail/sleet storm...
Everything spotty....

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2015, 19:16 »

More digging...

Picked up some builders bags to plant potatoes in.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 37 queries.