What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2015, 19:45 »

Finished off the 2 tyre stacks for potatoes.

Dug out the rest of the soil mountain in the corner of the plot and found that the roots of a cut down elder tree were so massive so had to change plan of planting in the soil but to use tyre stacks instead for rhubarb. Had to chop some of the root out that was too proud of the surface. Carpeted and membraned the area, used the last of the tyres for the two stacks and filled them ready for planting. Planted one rhubarb crown (red champagne), but need another! Will have to see if someone at the allotment has dug up their crowns over winter as I ideally want two varieties.....I know that b&q may have a different variety...

Filled in the gaps of one of the compost heap frames as too much stuff was falling out the sides. Need to get another pallet to break up for the other frame.

Knackered!

28022015548topost.jpg
Everything spotty....

Yana

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2015, 21:16 »
Haven't been for a few days as have had a cold and painting boards for two new beds.
Went up late yesterday afternoon to find there had been a second round of shed break-ins and this time mine was done. Nothing taken except an old mattock that was then used to batter doors on other sheds. Got really upset and after telephoning a fellow plot holder who lives locally and agreed to come to the plot, we debated what we would do if we caught the perps.
Cut a long story short, I've got a wildlife camera I have set up but it was destroyed and the chip was no where to be found .... Or so I thought. Went up this morning with OH to fix the locks and door and he found the chip!!!! Scurried home to see if there was anything on it and yep, there was. Got some good pics so the chip is going to the police tomorrow. Fingers crossed we might get them.
Managed to spend a bit of time checking new strawb bed but head was elsewhere so came home.

I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2015, 22:04 »
Heh heh, Snowdrops! :)
I don't really look like my avatar.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2015, 06:28 »
Yana, so glad to hear you have a good chance of catching the culprit. We have so many break-ins on our site, but have yet to catch anyone.

I will be spending today, like yesterday, continuing to fence off my plot - mostly as a windbreak, but also hopefully to act as a deterrent to opportunist thieves. Sadly no way to keep the vandals out, though.  :(

grendel

« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2015, 11:13 »
another gorgeous day, and at the weekend, so this morning it was unload the armchair we picked up yesterday from the car, in went the rotovator, and the allotment had its first spring dig. kept having to stop and clear the mudball from the blades, but a lot happier now the plot is starting to look  like a plot and not a piece of scrub land again.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2015, 14:51 »
We needed to get the last bits done on the tunnel today, which included putting the mesh cover on. The weather forecast was rain coming in at 3pm so we knew we had enough time- you've guessed it just when we reached the point of no return with the mesh half done the heavens opened and heavy wind as well. Fair play to my better half she stayed out in it with me and we got the job done, soaked to the skin , freezing cold but the last look over the plot made it all worth it,
I am now able to work out how much a 3m x 3 m x 3m  tunnel cost me to make
misc timber for pegs and base rails- £29
misc conduit fittings- £12
Entrance door / frame and catch- FOC
 11 lengths of 25mm dia conduit- FOC
  mesh- Foc
 total cost -  £41 for a tunnel that is pegged into the ground by a min 2 ft deep - Well Happy

loobs61

« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2015, 15:16 »
Hi Yana, so sorry to hear about your break in. I hope the chip is helpful and you catch the culprits. 

Flowertot

« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2015, 16:48 »
Sunshine at last! Finally managed to get some digging and weeding done  :). The beds for the onions/shallots and potatoes are ready and waiting now  8). The pigeons have decimated the Swiss chard so I netted it in the hope that it will recover.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2015, 19:39 »
What I did today was to drop a tray of seedlings :( A quarter tray of Coleus which germinated yesterday. If you aren't familiar with Coleus seedlings they are tiny and fiddly to prick out when they are good and ready to be pricked out ... at 2 days after germination its a miracle I managed it!, and it will be two further miracles if 1) they survive and 2) I've salvaged enough from each of the two different varieties I sowed in the tray to get a decent mix in my Summer bedding.

Ho!Hum!

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2015, 19:56 »
Oh dear, Kristen! Hope they survive!

We've had the most evil weather here today - gale force winds, torrential rain, biting cold and sleet.

Braved the plot for a couple of hours to try and continue the fencing, but my handswere so numb that I kept hammering my fingers and couldn't even feel it, lol! Almost blew away, too! So I had to give up and come home and plant some seeds instead. Also bought a little fig tree for £4 from Wilko's. 😃

Trouble is, at this time of year, you know there's so much work ahead you don't feel you can waste a minute of the weekend!

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2015, 20:14 »
indeed, and when the sun is shining as it has in West London today - WHY AREN'T I DOWN THE PLOT????

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2015, 21:04 »
Heh heh, MJG, you won't sleep tonight! 😁

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2015, 12:00 »
 - WHY AREN'T I DOWN THE PLOT???? cos you lost it
[/quote]
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2015, 12:04 »
I made 5 new wicking tubs yesterday for my tomatoes which are still in the packet, I planted them with pak choi/lettuce and spring onions, Dave

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2015, 19:38 »

Tidied up compost heap no 1, removed nettles from heap no 2.

Cut some carpet for pathway in front of heaps.

Gave up when the hailstones were coming in horizontal and no milk to make allotment tea...

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 37 queries.