When do you think we'll get the last frost?!

• 22 Replies

Annad83

When do you think we'll get the last frost?!
« on: May 05, 2014, 16:42 »
I'm in Hertfordshire and I desperately want to plant put some of my more tender plants but know I need to wait for the last frost! Any idea when that's likely to be?! Thanks!! Anna
Anna, enthusiastic amateur from the herts/Essex boarder!

AnneB

Re: When do you think we'll get the last frost?!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 18:19 »
I am afraid it is anybody's guess.  The best anyone can do is follow the weather forecast, try not to be over eager and plant things out too soon as they either die or struggle, and be prepared to cover up tender plants if the worst happens.   For weather forecasts the BBC or Accuweather are the best bets.   I am much further north than you, but I won't be planting tomatoes, sweetcorn, beans, courgettes, squash outside until the first week in June.  I do have things in an unheated polytunnel though (peppers and tomatoes) which have only gone in in the last few days owing to space difficulties at home. 
Fingers crossed with them.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 18:59 »
Well I am thinking about planting out my runner plants soon as they are getting quite big and the forecast for the month seems to be mild for down here. I know it's a tad early but a calculated risk. I wll cover with fleece if I think a frost is likely. Anyone else planted out runners yet?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 19:23 by heygrow »

archibtbm

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 19:22 »
Anyone else plated out runners yet?

Not yet, but same position as you heygrow, things need to go out so I'll probably fleece.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 19:23 »
I know it's a tad early but a calculated risk. I wll cover with fleece if I think a frost is likely

I think that's the only way to look at it if you sow too early - you may get lucky and get away with it, but then again we might get an unexpected frost in late May.  Normally the frosts that late in the year are perhaps not as penetrating & damaging (but not always the case) so a fleece may just suffice.  Then there's always a back plan and be prepared to sow some more just in case. 

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 19:27 »
Hi Annad83,
I have a piece of string in my hand if you can guess its length them I will tell you when we will get our last frost.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 19:27 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 20:39 »
That'll be 4th June then.

(Hope not, but it's happened before!)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sion01

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 21:32 »
I've lived/gardened her in North West Wales all my life and the latest frost in the last 20 years was 6th of May.Thanks gulf stream.

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 23:05 »
Because the date of the last frost can vary so much I always sow everything in small batches over several weeks and plant them out over the same time span. That way if we do get a frost I only lose a small part of the crop but if we don't I get an early picking.

It's always seemed strange to me that some people want to plant all their runners, potatoes, lettuce, etc at the same time as I prefer to get as long a cropping period as possible.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 23:23 »
Because the date of the last frost can vary so much I always sow everything in small batches over several weeks and plant them out over the same time span. That way if we do get a frost I only lose a small part of the crop but if we don't I get an early picking.

It's always seemed strange to me that some people want to plant all their runners, potatoes, lettuce, etc at the same time as I prefer to get as long a cropping period as possible.

Snap here! I'm on my first sowing of the frost sensitive plants (squashes, beans, cucurbits) and another batch will be sown in the next couple of days.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 23:31 »
Your last frost will be approximately three days after you put all your tender plants out.  :lol:

My gut feeling is that here in southern England, last week was probably the last of the frosts, as it looks like the coming week (and possibly the week after that) is a cyclonic setup with frequent showers or longer spells of rain, and breezy. Such conditions are not conducive for frost formation. If the unsettled spell does indeed go on for the next fortnight then we will then be into the third week of May and it would be very unusual to get a damaging frost this far south at that time of year.

A lot depends on your local area as well as how far north you are. Those who live in rural sheltered valleys where cold air can drain into and settle could see a frost well into June given a suitable synoptic weather setup. On the other hand, if you live inside the M25 I reckon you've seen the last of the frosts now.

mrsbean

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 23:37 »
oh dear i really did sow my cucs,courgs too early. cucs need to be planted got flowers starting. def fleese job, dont know if we will get gales that have been forecast aswell. that will be worse for my location. think maybe sow another batch.

al78

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 23:50 »
oh dear i really did sow my cucs,courgs too early. cucs need to be planted got flowers starting. def fleese job, dont know if we will get gales that have been forecast aswell. that will be worse for my location. think maybe sow another batch.

If you don't think they will survive where they are at the moment then best to take a chance and put them out. What have you got to lose?

I only sowed my courgettes on Saturday so hopefully it isn't too late for you to resow if it all goes wrong.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 23:55 »
The latest I have seen frost was about 20 years ago on a low lying part of the Cambridgeshire Fens near Ramsey. The top leaves of a crop of dwarf beans were scorched, as were the tips of nettles along the dyke side. It was the middle of July.

The recent sharp frost on Friday night may well be the last serious frost here. However we now often get a mild spell until about 14th or 15th when there is a sudden sharp night. Those are the saints days of the ice saints, St Pancras and St Sophia, much feared in the grape growing areas of Europe.

Delaying planting out until the last week in May is my usual for me.

Annad83

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 06:59 »
Ok thanks all! Some of my tenders will go out but will frost fleece for a bit yet! Fingers and toes crossed!!

xx
Frost

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2020, 10:39
by Grubbypaws
xx
First Frost

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 05, 2006, 11:33
by muntjac
xx
Frost

Started by Ryan1uk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 15:56
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Frost -

Started by The Thin Blue Line on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post December 20, 2007, 10:31
by Annie

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 31 queries.