What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2014, 19:47 »
Yesterday: I dug over part of the new plot for the cordon fruit trees, erected the post and wire support and planted the cordons before a 13 hour night shift. Today it was straight back down the lottie after a quick stop off at home. As sensible decisions were out of the window today and I have blisters upon blisters after digging was a potter about the fruit plot day, the paintbrush came out to give the bees a hand with pollinating the nectarine trees. The metal post of four generic small fruit cages were trimmed down to fit my blueberry beds to stop the birds from getting to them before I do this year, the cages then built but putting the netting up has been saved for another day as it was rather breezy. Summer flowering bulbs were planted throughout the plot to add a splash of colour and a couple more grape vines planted (I blame my mother for buying them - I was post night shift on Wedsnesday, she commented they were on offer and she knows I am a sucker for fruit plants!) Went home to find that I seem to have caught the sun on my face and back and am now on the sofa avidly applying after sun and hoping that the redness goes down before I am back to work tomorrow morning. 

Lardman

« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2014, 22:18 »
Finished building the warming bench in the greenhouse and wired everything up, just need some sharp sand to fill it now. Sowed spring onions, parsley, coriander, lettuce, radish and some rocket. Cut some 8ft branches from the ash tree to use as supports for the sweet peas.

Forked over 2 raised beds and found some self set blackberries amongst the couch grass- I think they're from the thornless canes so I potted them up to see. Weeded around last years chard which is doing it's best but was getting choked. Reweeded around the asparagus, the weeds are on steroid !

Nice to be outside but garden looks like a bombs gone off in it still  :(

blackberryjam

« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2014, 22:41 »
When we got home from the plot,  we Cleaned the fish pond out , smelly job but at least we can see the fish now. ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 17:56 by blackberryjam »

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #393 on: March 09, 2014, 22:53 »
Went up this morning ,raided the skip again of very useful timber  ;) washed the 3 gh's with jeyes went to garden centre got 2kg of onward peas will sow next few days,went to other lottie finished planting the last of shallots and onions (phew) did some more tilling there,went back to main lottie filled a couple of gaps in cauli row with some from another row, did some weeding around onions,  spread a sack of soft  sand in pt then went to mam's to pick up some baking from her then went home :D
diggity dig dig

allotmentgal

• Never give up!
« Reply #394 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48 »
First post for me.  People out in force at the plots for the first time this year it seemed.  We sowed a variety seeds in the GH which reached 115 degrees, sowed early carrots outside, topped up the wood chip paths and wired the espelier supports.  My nephew just swapped to the plot next door so was investigating the contents of the shed he inherited for a token payment to the chap retiring, he was very pleased.
Kaz

Yana

« Reply #395 on: March 10, 2014, 15:32 »
Weeded, fed and mulched all fruit on plot 2 and 3. Got chatting to guy who has just come back from 6 weeks in New Zealand. So jealous and is on list of places to visit......
On plot 1, planted out enough broad beans to fill a 2.4m x 3m bed with broad beans that I had sown at home and had grown to about 3 inches tall. Planted out shallots and onions that I had started off in modules and then planted the remaining shallots and onions that hadn't been started off in 2 other beds.
Had a cup of coffee with fellow plot holders and came home well chuffed with the work that I had done.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

jmc1949

« Reply #396 on: March 10, 2014, 15:50 »
This morning dug over the potato bed again and the drawf runner bean bed. Put the hoops in place on the raised beds. Spent time talking to my sister and a fellow allotmenteer. This afternoon went with my sister to have a look at the allotments she has her name down for. She's hoping she doesn't have to wait too long! Then dug the 10x12 foot area at the back of her garage so she can have a mini veg patch and put up her mini grow house.

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #397 on: March 10, 2014, 17:23 »
popped down the lotty this afternoon for an hour, spent 2 hours yapping
who pinched me marrow?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #398 on: March 10, 2014, 19:42 »
sowed some beetroot seeds under my new cloche tunnel.
Anne

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #399 on: March 10, 2014, 19:56 »
Collected all the clots of couch from round the plot and piled them in one heap.
  i,am thinking of spraying it when the couch appears and covering it for the rest of the year.
     any better ideas anyone?
090.jpg
keep on digging

snowdrops

« Reply #400 on: March 10, 2014, 20:15 »
Collected all the clots of couch from round the plot and piled them in one heap.
  i,am thinking of spraying it when the couch appears and covering it for the rest of the year.
     any better ideas anyone?

You could dry them out & then burn it all
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sparkyrog

« Reply #401 on: March 10, 2014, 20:19 »
     any better ideas anyone?
Drown in a water bin ?
I cook therefore I grow

snowdrops

« Reply #402 on: March 10, 2014, 20:22 »
More digging out & turning of compost. Mended the bins as some of the slats keep falling out, goodness knows why each bin has different sized slats :mad: added loads of manure. Weeded around the rhubarb & daffodils at he front of the plot, then started to weed bed 5. Guess what I found? Even more horsetail.

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #403 on: March 10, 2014, 20:28 »
Thanks snowdrop and sparky. there's just so much of it. Will it rot if I just leave it. dont want to sound lazy
     but i've more pressing things to get on with.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #404 on: March 10, 2014, 20:30 »
Thanks snowdrop and sparky. there's just so much of it. Will it rot if I just leave it. dont want to sound lazy
     but i've more pressing things to get on with.

NO it won't rot if you just leave it  :(

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 32 queries.