What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

jondav14

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #315 on: February 24, 2014, 16:48 »
just forked all the big piles of horse poop and compost all over the plot today, 4 yr old grandson was amazed that I had lots of horses visiting my plot  :lol:

told me he now likes cabbage so I got him to sow some baby cabbages (sprouts) in the greenhouse.

At last the plot is now all tidy, everything mulched and a good layer of compost and manure laid over all the beds, ready for digging in.  Bring on the summer  :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 17:06 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

blackberryjam

« Reply #316 on: February 24, 2014, 17:59 »
Dropped of some roofing felt for my two storage box's , then went to see the physiotherapist to see if she can do anything about my popping knee, I now have some exercises to do, as if I don't get enough >:(,  went back to the plot and potted  around in the greenhouse until it clouded over and started to drizzle  :)

bravemurphy

« Reply #317 on: February 24, 2014, 19:51 »
Made a cold frame from some recycled try wall Perspex from a skip (with permission)

Pulled all the summer cabbage stumps up and dug a section about 12 foot by 30 foot.

And really feel like I have achieved something up there, at last.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #318 on: February 24, 2014, 21:04 »
Replaced 2 panes of glass in gh as some clever dick threw a stone over hedge :mad: did some more tilling and put some door stops on gh to stop door sliding off runner, and put some more spuds it trays for chitting :D
diggity dig dig

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2014, 21:18 »
Sowed a few kent blues in small pots (these are for cossetting in the culticave) and some chervil roots in a long planter as an experiment.

Lemon drop chilli is covered in small flower buds... :)

Oddpod

« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2014, 14:09 »
Finally went up to see what's happened after the last lot of weather and it was just such a joy to potter around. As the ground is still so wet and puddingy, did some weeding of the garlic ( yellow tips on the leaves) in the raised bed and also the flower patch.
 Discovered a hole in the boundary wire netting so patched that up to be done properly later. They had not touched the leeks but the garlic chives were chewed down almost to the ground.
 Went back home very happy. Just waiting for it to be dry enough to start the onions off now!

Yana

« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2014, 15:08 »
It's been a while, but got to the plot today. And what a beautiful day too.
Cut down the raspberries that have been on my list since beginning of January, dug up the last of the parsnips, a quick dig over of the bed, added some well rotted compost and transplanted broad beans that a fellow plot holder kindly gave me as mine aren't quite ready to go in yet.
Dug in the manure that was sitting on the potato beds so those beds are ready for when the seed potatoes go in a few a weeks time. Ground was ok and not waterlogged.
Dug up some leeks for dinner tonight and cut a few bits of broccoli.
Feeling much better just getting the fresh air let alone catching up on some of the jobs that needed doing. Had to make the most of it because not going to be a fine day until Sunday now.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

blackberryjam

« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2014, 18:07 »
Cleared  more of the wood chippings out of the greenhouse,and screwed pallets together on compost bin.
On the way to the plot I drove past a stable that as put out some fresh horse manure, I'll  collect some tomorrow and put it in the compost bin. ;)

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2014, 18:48 »
Got the mantis on the job again turned soil into nice tilth popped some broad beans in and some more garlic, went to b n q got 250lL of verve mpc  for less than £12  :)then sowed 204 mixed cabbage,kale,sprouts put them in pt until sprouted then they will go into coldframe :D

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2014, 19:19 »
My dwarf nectarine tree has started to bud and looks like it will soon flower. I haven't managed to get round to building a sturdy frame to protect them from the wind, rain and dreaded leaf curl so managed to buy a large seedling mini greenhouse which I erected today. Now my dwarf nectarine, peach and apricot are happy and snug as bugs in rugs  and there's even room to get a couple of seed trays  in as well :)

blackberryjam

« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2014, 18:56 »
When clearing the last of the wood chippings from the greenhouse I found this nasty ,hubby said it's a witchetty grub.                  :lol::lol: .Looks like a chafer to me. ;)
AIR_20140227_00000.jpg
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 19:03 by blackberryjam »

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #326 on: February 27, 2014, 19:09 »
Did some more digging in of compost,planted more garlic and got two rows of spuds in maybe a bit early but whats the worst could happen, frost might knock them back a bit if we get any that is :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2014, 20:51 »
I planted out the onion and shallot sets which have been sprouting away in trays of compost for the past week or so. I was only going to put them in the cold frame, but decided in a mad moment  ::) of spring-like weather to plant them out. That is when I discovered that there is a frost forecast. I covered them with fleece so if they hunker down below the parapet, they should be okay. :ohmy:
Anne

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2014, 22:57 »
Dug up all the 5 year old strawberries that did nothing last year and prepared bed for my new strawberries plants
Sowed parsnips under protection
Prepared carrot bed
Prepared the new herb bed
Dug manure into potato beds

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2014, 18:29 »
walked up to the plot, heavy rain, very soggy again, walked back home  :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 18:30 by jondav14 »

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 29 queries.