What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1380 on: August 07, 2014, 20:06 »
Picked lots of runner beans, 2 climbing french beans and one purple french bean.
Binned the psb, pulled out some more rotten onions, milled the soil - love that miller! :D
Dead headed the sweet william and the cosmos.
Picked 3 blackberries, all three had caterpillars  >:(
Potted up 2 more strawberry runners.
Anne

Jackypam

« Reply #1381 on: August 07, 2014, 21:59 »
Picked loads of French and a few runner beans.  Found a couple of marrow like courgettes and some normal ones.  Picked my first ever non diseased outdoor tomatoes! And a few bits of soft fruit.  Something has eaten most of the baby pea plants - pigeons, rooks or rabbits?  Or maybe magpies?  Pollinated the sweetcorn and pulled up a few weeds.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1382 on: August 07, 2014, 23:08 »
I did some digging at the back of the allotment today down the left hand side, while digging I broke TWO forks  under the soil someone has hidden lots of very big slaps, looks like ex council slaps.

Brought a new one today but don't like it the fork as a funny curve in it lol

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #1383 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38 »
picked some broad beans, spring onions, beetroot, cucumber, dug some Maris Piper up take to work for the girl I work with ...spread a little home grown happiness  :mellow: ammonia sulphated sprouts, folded over onions as they are big enough and I am worried they might go to seed.
:D I garden therefore I am

Snoop

« Reply #1384 on: August 08, 2014, 15:59 »
Watered very hurriedly, weeded the second parsnip patch and lifted a few Figueres onions that had keeled over. Given the weeds in the onion beds, I'm quite pleased with the size of these onions. Significantly larger than the ones you can buy in the shops here and absolutely lovely sweet flavour.
Checked the toms to see how many E might have taken last night. When I told him to come and get some, I didn't expect him to turn up with two carrier bags! ??? Still quite a lot left, fortunately.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1385 on: August 08, 2014, 22:13 »
My niece and her lovely children came down the allotment with me today. It was great watching them discover where real growing food comes from. Especially when they dug up some of my "pink fir apple" potatoes up. They went away happy with a goody bag of fresh veg!  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #1386 on: August 09, 2014, 07:48 »
Dug up all my king Edwards. Now lay out on the ground for a couple of hours before I store them. Back to do the earlies in a bit. Dry day today so last chance for a while to get it done.
Will then sow some phacelia in their place.

Snoop

« Reply #1387 on: August 09, 2014, 10:24 »
Watered and picked a few melons that went from being a bit hard yesterday to over-ripe this morning. Ah well...

Also, had a right good rant about the dogs, which have wrecked some of my red cabbage and dug enormous holes in the beds that were (in theory) settling post-weeding to firm them up for caulis and broccoli.

AnneB

« Reply #1388 on: August 09, 2014, 11:58 »
Harvested cucumber, beans, courgettes, carrots etc.   Sowed some radish,  French Breakfast and Crimson Giant.   Watered in the polytunnel, no need for watering outside after yesterday's deluge.  Had chat with other plotholders, quite busy this morning.   Also very windy and high winds forecast for tomorrow.   Hoping the tall beans, the achocha and the sweetcorn survive.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1389 on: August 11, 2014, 17:12 »
Tightened up and added some more stringing around and through my sweetcorn as the wind was starting to produce a pronounced lean in a couple of them.

Ditto the stringing holding up the autumn rasps.

Sorted out the half-dried shallots into 'hopefully keepers', 'hopefully keepers for next spring's planting', and 'better eat or freeze PDQ!'

Trimmed the now-dry garlic and put into the cupboard-cum-glory hole in the side of the house (they join one left over from this time last year which believe it or not is still in good condition!)

Brought the 3 bell pepper plants in from the GH to a sunny windowsill - getting a bit sick of seeing the fruits still all dark green (must be nearly a couple of months now.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1390 on: August 11, 2014, 21:18 »
2nd Munty frame had bent over a bit due to the winds and a Queensland blue squash that has decided to climb it!  Not too much damage to the borlottis which are almost done.
Picks loads of stuff, 5 huge cues from one plant!  Shame it's not a variety I'm very pleased with due to it's tough skin & prickles....will do my research for a better one for next season.  Pulled up the first south facing row of sweetcorn stalks as they had now finished and I want the sun to ripen the next row and so on (well, that's the plan.... :D)

French beans planted only last week with the late Charlotte sowing; both showing very good growth already. 

Snoop

« Reply #1391 on: August 12, 2014, 16:11 »
Drew up water from the well and lifted the Figueres onions. A good mixture of sizes, so suitable for all purposes. Love these onions.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1392 on: August 13, 2014, 01:07 »
Hunted for some healthy chickweed on my veg patch then fed it to the budgies. They love it!

Potato lifting tommorrow.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Snoop

« Reply #1393 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44 »
So far, watered. Am about to go and tie up the toms. Very windy today and they're suffering.

Asherweef

« Reply #1394 on: August 13, 2014, 09:02 »
So far, watered.

Wish that we had the weather meaning that I had to water! I'm going to plant radish I think and get a final crop in!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

65 Replies
Last post Today at 19:01
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 37 queries.