What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Beetie

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1350 on: July 29, 2014, 18:58 »
Today I brought home the marrows I have accidentally grown.... And tidied up my tomatoes which are growing like the clappers, especially my centiflors which have trusses 2 foot across!
image.jpg
image.jpg

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1351 on: July 30, 2014, 12:50 »
Rowan I completely understand, I've just moved and my allotment is now a good hours drive away + I have an exam to sit in Autumn. I've put a lot of hardwork into whats there, but apart from picking what I’ve already put in, I have no time to succession sow anything. To stop myself from stressing, once I'd pulled something up I'm covering the ground with weed membrane so I dont get any weed complaints. I will be handing back the plot or at least 1/2 of it next year, might keep the 1/2 with the fruit bushes and rubarb on it if I cant get a small plot nearer to me.

That's some commitment keeping your plot that's so far away from you. Have you put your name down on the list for where you live now? If so, I hope you manage to get something sooner rather than later. I'm lucky because I'm only a 3 minute walk from my plot

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1352 on: July 31, 2014, 17:26 »
Decided it was time to dig up the garlic - they resisted rust for far longer than others have reported on here, but when they did cop for it they made up for lost time!  :ohmy:

Same ex-supermarket variety I've been replanting for several years now - acceptable sized bulbs but others years have been better.

Sowed more rocket, mixed salad leaves and radish, all pretty much mixed in together.

Had a word with my Marketmore cukes - lots of flowers but started off all female and now nearly all male so no cukes yet - it could be they're taking the pizza because I finally succeeded with fancy female F1 GH cukes this year - perhaps I should move them where they can't see them!  :unsure:

Had some aiming practice chucking chicken poo pellets into the dibbed leek holes - a couple of holes-in-one but I was only a couple of feet away.  :lol:

Harvested di Nizza and Defender courgettes to add to my fridge collection.  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1353 on: July 31, 2014, 18:18 »
Prepared a bed for the leeks with my new Wolf soil miller, wow! it's great! :D Its the nearest I've had to a fine tilth, ever! (except when I had a try of a mantis)
Pulled out some rotten maincrop onions  :( I wondered why they were turning over so soon and when I pulled, they just came up easily with no roots and looking a bit mouldy.  I don't know whether to lift them all now, in case its catching. This is the second year they have done that, and coincidentally both years have been very dry.
Anne

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #1354 on: July 31, 2014, 20:26 »
Dug up some spuds then sprayed all the weeds I could see on my plot.
Weather still dry but rain possible later so decided to hit them whilst I could.
Cheers HH
Keep digging

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1355 on: July 31, 2014, 20:55 »
Finally got an hour in!
Dug up my 'main crop' and was very pleased, perfect- whereas my earlies on the other side of the plot had a bit of scab.  Haven't watered them at all, so pleased to get some real biggies. 

Did what John's book suggest which is to plant french beans in the space after spuds as a 'green manure' but I might get lucky, last year I did really well with a late sowing.  We'll see.

Today's courgette count- +2yellow + 1 lebanese
Already 'in the fridge' - 8 mixed :wub:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1356 on: July 31, 2014, 21:52 »
Hour and a half carefully digging up the reset of the Charlottes. A couple were rotten and stinky - no idea why. Otherwise no slug damage, lovely large spuds. Just got Desiree left, and only 6 seed spuds of those are in. Will need the space for the spare tomatoes and the beetroot seedlings.

Found what I think is a potimarron (didn't label) and bagged it and the only male flower on the other plant as I need some more seeds - and am addicted to this saving lark. Would have liked another male flower to pollinate it with, but that will have to do.

Snoop

« Reply #1357 on: August 01, 2014, 13:35 »
Watered and weeded the main parsnip bed.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1358 on: August 01, 2014, 15:24 »
turned, watered and fed my compost bags - 2 bags are now at one with each other!  And bagged up the split bags of dry horse manure.  Loadsalubberlystuff!  And all that lot was done in about 30+ degrees of heat 8)
Now what shall I do today?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1359 on: August 01, 2014, 15:53 »
Planted my leeks out at last. :)

beesrus

« Reply #1360 on: August 01, 2014, 16:20 »
Allahu akbar.. the heavens have opened at last  :)
Had a bonfire early morning pre rain to get rid of the blighted halums, assorted weeds and nasties. Perfect timing. Gathered a fair bit of food and saw to the jungle in the greenhouse... well, a little bit.
It's amazing how quickly the plot empties once onions and potatoes are lifted. My first beetroot have also come up and half the brassicas are already history. The cat has decided to return home briefly for more than just a feed, after 2 months of camping out in the oh so warm and wild woods. Nice to see her but feel sorry her Summer break being a proper outdoor animal will be coming to an end shortly, given she doesn't like the wet. Feeling a bit sad that sunflowers and lots of things are going over already. Life really is a quick spurt. Blink and you miss it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 16:24 by beesrus »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #1361 on: August 01, 2014, 20:12 »
Very speedy pick in the rain as we have been to the beach instead, got back early due to the fact Florence has issues with donkey fur  ::) safe at home in the rain, the plot needs it........ So smile

chillimummy

« Reply #1362 on: August 01, 2014, 23:04 »
Before poured with rain, managed to get lots done as about to go on hols! Did lots of weeding, finished making my two paths and covered with weed fabric. Trimmed grassy edges with shears as looking bit untidy. Picked peas,spinach,one cauli and rest of my very rusty garlic. Plot doesn't look too bad so hoping not too bad when I get back  :lol:
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

beesrus

« Reply #1363 on: August 02, 2014, 17:03 »
Thanks to the overnight rain at last, I was able to do quite a lot of very effective weeding and digging. Saw to the ex onion, beetroot, turnip, brassica and potato beds, even dug up a path to rid it of couch grass.
Very happy with that, and all in a couple of hours or so. The weather doesn't half help if  it's friendly.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1364 on: August 02, 2014, 21:35 »
Took my mum for a quick visit as she popped over so we could go shopping in Basingstoke.
Seemed quite gobsmacked by the size of the pumpkin i'm growing for my nephews.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 32 queries.