What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1335 on: July 24, 2014, 19:26 »
Handed my 2 half plots back this week. Makes me a bit sad, but the plots were great when I had no outside space whatsoever. Now with a large back garden & working longer hours than ever I just can't keep up -  would need to spend an hour a day or my whole weekend, neither of which I can afford.

I am spending most of my holiday week in my garden doing things, and that is delightful.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1336 on: July 24, 2014, 19:38 »
Watered, watered...
Picked the first runner beans, Yey!
Anne

snowdrops

« Reply #1337 on: July 24, 2014, 20:51 »
Planted the last 55 leeks, & the cabbages, chatted with H, had 2 cups of tea with her, did some weeding. Sowed 3 short rows of swede & 3 of turnips & 2 short rows of radish. Watered all the brassicas that I planted last Sunday & today. Phew no wonder I'm weary.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Snoop

« Reply #1338 on: July 25, 2014, 13:35 »
Handed my 2 half plots back this week. Makes me a bit sad, but the plots were great when I had no outside space whatsoever. Now with a large back garden & working longer hours than ever I just can't keep up -  would need to spend an hour a day or my whole weekend, neither of which I can afford.

I am spending most of my holiday week in my garden doing things, and that is delightful.

I have my veg patch not only for produce to eat but also as a way to lower my stress levels. If your plots were a source of stress, then it partly defeats the object of having them. Sounds like you made a sensible, if sad, decision.

Bet your garden will blossom and bloom with all the attention.

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1339 on: July 25, 2014, 22:19 »
Planted out 2 blueberry bushes that weren't doing well in their pots and did some weeding. No time for anything else today!!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1340 on: July 26, 2014, 06:47 »

I have my veg patch not only for produce to eat but also as a way to lower my stress levels. If your plots were a source of stress, then it partly defeats the object of having them. Sounds like you made a sensible, if sad, decision.

Bet your garden will blossom and bloom with all the attention.

Snoop, you have it in one and I couldn't have put it better. I no longer found pleasure in the plots, only the stress of keeping them clean. If my garden turns into a jungle because I am away for a few weeks, nobody cares and I really have little interest these days in keeping ground 'weed free' as required on the allotment.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1341 on: July 26, 2014, 09:38 »
Weeded  ::). Watered and harvested last night and will be back to pick up a couple of rubbish bags to take to the dump later today.

grendel

« Reply #1342 on: July 26, 2014, 10:58 »
up to the dreaded plot of weeds by 8am, strimmed - remade paths between crops, picked plums a few apples and beetroot and feel happier now  that the 18" high weeds are mostly gone (still a few amongst the crops, but that is another days job.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1343 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41 »
Not a lot!! Popped down to water but with only 1 tap on site and no water butt on my plot I didn't have time to wait for the queue to go down. I will try again today

Steveharford

« Reply #1344 on: July 27, 2014, 13:39 »
Tidied up all the garlic; trimmed and plaited them. Set aside the biggest for autumn planting. Labelled them all to see if I could taste any difference between them -I bet not! Some lovely big bulbs this time, and thats with the worst rust I've experienced.👍

Ema

« Reply #1345 on: July 27, 2014, 13:57 »
Rowan I completely understand, I've just moved and my allotment is now a good hours drive away + I have an exam to sit in Autumn. I've put a lot of hardwork into whats there, but apart from picking what I’ve already put in, I have no time to succession sow anything. To stop myself from stressing, once I'd pulled something up I'm covering the ground with weed membrane so I dont get any weed complaints. I will be handing back the plot or at least 1/2 of it next year, might keep the 1/2 with the fruit bushes and rubarb on it if I cant get a small plot nearer to me.

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1346 on: July 27, 2014, 15:53 »
Tidied up the tomatoes,  pulled up the peas, watered everything really well, sowed some spring cabbage, ttidied up and dug over 2 beds that were empty and sowed green manure on them.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1347 on: July 29, 2014, 17:40 »
Yesterday:
Lifted my onions - some lovely big onions ;) Dug this bed over as I have some more lettuce seedlings to stick in the gap ;)
Picked French beans and lettuce.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1348 on: July 29, 2014, 17:42 »

Glad you're enjoying the garden - I'd probably hand mine back too if I had outside space to tinker with.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1349 on: July 29, 2014, 17:50 »
Had a picnic lunch with two friends  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 37 queries.