Winter digging

• 18 Replies

coppermaran

• chickens on an allotment make me happy
    • Chickens&Ducks
Winter digging
« on: November 18, 2013, 15:32 »
Do the allotment gardeners out there think its time to get on with the winter digging. :unsure: We have had a few frost now so the weeds have slow down just need it to dry up abit. what do you lot think   ??? Back breaking it may be but it must be done :(

Edit: title typo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 16:07 by JayG »
Rbrewster

bravemurphy

Re: Witer digging
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 15:51 »
When and if it dries up yes mine will be turned over.

I have got most of mine done to be honest well 3/4 of it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter digging
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 16:48 »
You can dig whenever the weather and the soil allow  ;)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 17:10 »
 :) Most of mine is done. Just the leek/parsnip bed as they finish.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 21:13 »
 :(I'm about two thirds done.my biggest holding factor is the dark nights ..full time work...I havnt got time to go to work!

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 16:23 »
Back breaking it may be but it must be done :(

Edit: title typo

No it doesn't  :)
I started cultivating an area about the size of 6 allotments 11 years ago. I stopped digging once my back, elbows and knees couldn't do it anymore(and I was only in my 30's) :blink:

I then looked into alternative methods, and came up with something similar to what
Charles Dowding recommends in his great No-dig gardening books. I get consistantly great crops, surprisingly little slug damage and plenty of compliments.

Our place is now a registered permaculture demonstration centre. People come and visit to see no-dig and other sustainable food growing practices in action.

I am also a Volunteer Master Gardener with Garden Organic and am really encouraged that during their training sessions, they promote minimum cultivation techniques to all their volunteers.

If you really don't like digging(and I know there are plenty of people out there that enjoy it!), try something different.  :)
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 17:25 »
We have the digging/no digging debate on this forum a lot - you aren't the first and won't be the last to suggest it :nowink:
The discussion can get quite heated  :blink:

Digging versus moving a lot of compost/manure - both are hard work for the body - so it's each to his own as far as I'm concerned.........

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 17:36 »
Well good for you, NickoV :D

It wouldn't do for us all to use the same gardening methods.  There'd be nothing left to talk about  ;) :lol:

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 18:00 »
I've made a start on the allotment I got earlier in the year so that I can spread the work out over winter and not knacker my back. The far end was in a really bad state, not cultivated for a while, heavy clay and a bit soggy with horsetail in it :( Need to get that opened up and more organic matter in it, so piling in loads of leafmould to help break it up a bit and hope the frost does it's worst. On the other hand there a spot where the old manure heap was that's so full or organic matter that it doesn't need digging. Horses for courses :)

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 18:10 »
We have the digging/no digging debate on this forum a lot - you aren't the first and won't be the last to suggest it :nowink:
The discussion can get quite heated  :blink:

Digging versus moving a lot of compost/manure - both are hard work for the body - so it's each to his own as far as I'm concerned.........

Yes, I agree. If you have tried both methods and have a preference, then fair enough.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 18:14 »
The weeds have been cleared down to the bare soil so could I get away with using a rotavator rather than the spade?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 18:17 »
The weeds have been cleared down to the bare soil so could I get away with using a rotavator rather than the spade?

Again, plenty do this.

Others treat rotavotors as the tool of the devil  ;)

Another group never dig and never rotavate either

Each to their own

Each to their own
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 19:34 »
Again, plenty do this.
Others treat rotavotors as the tool of the devil  ;)
Another group never dig and never rotavate either
Each to their own
Each to their own

I have just acquired the neighbouring plot to mine so I now have two to maintain and I am looking for ways to cut down the workload.  :)

NorthEast Old Newbie

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 13:53 »
Have it nearly all done in between wet spells, apart from around 8 sq mtrs which still needs to dry out a bit before it is turned over deep and left in lumps for the frost to do its work.  :)

The plot still has areas of clay and very heavy clay to break down. The area I am concentrating on at the moment is around 3mtr long x 1 mtr wide (solid clay) that was under an old path, which is now important as it will help drain off a larger area of the plot that was previously well prepared over the years by prior tenants.

I wanted to fill this last small deep trench with bark fines (say 2 x 80 or 100ltr bags) but I cannot find bark fines for sale locally anywhere (Northeast).   
 :(  Only ads I see are for bulk deliveries + transport, and I don't need that much, as I will be digging in a mix of well rotted horse manure, sharp sand as well as rotted green compost, all of which will bulk up the bark fines.

Anyone advise where I can buy smaller quantities of bark fines that I can collect?     - (say 2 x 100ltr bags )

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 16:24 »
I've not started my winter digging. I never started my summer digging, nor spring come to that   :)  I have done some onion, shallot and garlic planting though.  Oh and some brassicas the other day  :tongue2:

xx
Winter Digging?

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 21:48
by JayG
xx
winter digging

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 11:17
by Enfield Glen
xx
winter digging

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 08:12
by Zippy
question
Winter Digging

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 15:51
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 38 queries.