The usual spud results and questions

• 35 Replies

JohnB47

The usual spud results and questions
« on: October 19, 2013, 23:41 »
I grew kestrel and king edward this year. The weather went dry just as the spuds were forming, so smallish yields. Actually the kestrel weren't too small - generally pleased with the outcome but the king edwards weren't worth the bother. I had tried them a few years ago with the same outcome but wanted to have another go. That's the last time I'll grow them.

So, any views on a main crop spud that would give a more consistently high yield and has a 'fluffy' texture when cooked? i.e something that cooks like king edward or maris piper (I tried maris piper too a while back and had poor yields).

Thanks.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: The usual spud results and questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 23:47 »
Desiree?

I've grown them this year and am very impressed with my haul and the flavour/texture.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 00:24 »
Desiree?

I've grown them this year and am very impressed with my haul and the flavour/texture.

Desiree = commonly grown on my allotment site as it resists wireworm well (we seem plagued with it across more than a hundred plots)

I found Picasso produced a very good yield – large size tubers and plenty of them.

Although not main crop (as far as I know) I tried “Pink fur Apple” last year and said I wouldn’t bother again as the yield was poor. As Mrs Plots likes them I tried again this year – gosh am I pleased I did!!

This year each plant produced more than the whole of the previous year’s crop from si plants. So Pink Fur Apple are going in again next year. Nice, nutty flavour, good for salads but equally good steamed for a main course and this year the tubers were huge!

You never can tell quite how well a particular potato variety will perform so I grow several types, hope for the best as well as experiment with one or two new ones each year.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 00:25 »
Thanks folks.

I've had a look at desiree but they are described as having a waxy texture when cooked rather than fluffy. Perhaps I need to buy some and see how they cook up. Grew picasso before and were riddled with wireworm - other varieties not affected at all. Will look at pink fir apple.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 00:28 by JohnB47 »

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 00:38 »
Neither Desiree or Pink Fur Apple could be described as "fluffy".... I guess that's why the wireworm leave them alone.  ;) Pink Fur Apple are quite dense, solid things but the flavour is very distinctive.

To avoid wireworm in Picasso lift earlier rather than leave in the ground. Mine were almost clear of the little blighters when dug in August. This year they are still in the ground and may well be fit for nothing more than the pigs to munch!

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 00:45 »

To avoid wireworm in Picasso lift earlier rather than leave in the ground. Mine were almost clear of the little blighters when dug in August. This year they are still in the ground and may well be fit for nothing more than the pigs to munch!

Good idea. I must confess i do tend to leave my main crops in the ground too long - I dig and eat the earlies and forget about the mains for a while.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:10 »
I have to put in a word for "Ambo" as the spud you're looking for.

Another good crop this year, fluffy texture with consistently high yields. Mrs Digger and I had one two days ago. Yes one between us. Even with my appetite the one we baked was way too much for me!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:51 »
Estima is a second early/early maincrop but leave them to die back naturally and you end up with a good cluster of baking spud sizes (supermarket baking potatoes tend to be Estima btw)  I've grown them twice and by chance have been dry summers but have on both occasions been very productive.  They are a good all rounder, tasty and also make lovely chips too. 

I have to put in a word for "Ambo" as the spud you're looking for.

That sounds interesting .....  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16 »
There are a couple of others on the forum who have tried Ambo on my recommendation, maybe they will be along later for back-up!

It's has good parentage in Desiree and Cara and the Potato Council database says this in it's favour:

Quote from: British Potato Council database

Ambo is a very attractive early maturing versatile parti-coloured variety with good foliage and tuber late blight resistance. High yielding in a wide range of soil types and presents good drought resistance. Resistance to late blight on tubers.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:22 by DD. »

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:47 »
is the blight resistance as good as sarpo mira?

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:14 »
Thanks for the extra suggestions. Ambo looks attractive, as does Estima.

I wonder if my local garden centre will sell them loose - that's the way I like to buy them. Never heard of Ambo - is it maybe a bit difficult to find in local suppliers, as opposed to ordering on-line?

Anyway, keep those suggestions coming.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 12:41 »
Ambo is indeed a very good spud, but we had no blight when I grew it - so can't vouch for any resistance.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 12:59 »
I doubt its as blight resistant as Sarpo Mira, but that's not what the OP is looking for as they are on the waxy side.

I buy mine loose from a local independent nursery, so it's worth looking around.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 13:04 »
There are a couple of others on the forum who have tried Ambo

* sticks hand up in air *
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dopey113

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 19:54 »
Try this

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/potatoes/first-early/potato-melody/t14633TM

Thy have them in sainsburys for sale right now if you want a taste first (under white potatoes) roast good and boil nise as well, or use them as an early...... melody
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

xx
100 spud questions

Started by Jo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 14:19
by WG.
xx
sorry more spud questions

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:45
by Robin Redbreast
xx
silly spud questions

Started by chickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:21
by chickchick
xx
Strawberry Experiment Results & Related Questions

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 21:43
by dmg

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 38 queries.