The usual spud results and questions

• 35 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: The usual spud results and questions
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 20:18 »
Try this

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/potatoes/first-early/potato-melody/t14633TM

Thy have them in sainsburys for sale right now if you want a taste first (under white potatoes) roast good and boil nise as well, or use them as an early...... melody

The link says they're first early, the page says second early - not main as the OP requested. You'll notice I've desisted from mentioning Lady Cristl - an early that keeps well in the ground and grows on. My favourite!
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JohnB47

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 21:35 »
Can you clarify what you mean by "grown on". Do you mean the spuds get bigger despite the hulms dying down? I've often wonder if that was happening to mine sometimes but then thought 'nah, couldn't be'

Ta.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 21:56 »
I think what arugula means is that earlies are often dug before maturity as "new" potatoes, well before the haulms have died down.

If you wait until they do and let the spud mature, you will have some good size spuds, rather than egg sized "new" potatoes. They will not continue to grow once the haulms have died down.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 22:15 »
I think what arugula means is that earlies are often dug before maturity as "new" potatoes, well before the haulms have died down.

If you wait until they do and let the spud mature, you will have some good size spuds, rather than egg sized "new" potatoes. They will not continue to grow once the haulms have died down.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 23:48 »
I have to put in a word for "Ambo" as the spud you're looking for.

Another good crop this year, fluffy texture with consistently high yields. Mrs Digger and I had one two days ago. Yes one between us. Even with my appetite the one we baked was way too much for me!
Tried Ambo for the first time this year DD based on some recommendations from here last year.  Grew them in the ground and bags.   A bit of slug in the ground, and none in bags. Ground Ambo were huge.  Very nice  and will be trying them again :D

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 16:37 »
Sarpo mira - blight resistant, floury taste, fantastic yield (9lb from a 30 litre pot). What more could you ask for?
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 18:46 »
Sarpo mira - blight resistant, floury taste, fantastic yield (9lb from a 30 litre pot). What more could you ask for?

Glad to hear you enjoyed the taste.  My association treasurer has given away all his SM spuds as he really doesn't like the taste much.  I don't think he's alone, but there is the point that in a blight-hit year, any spuds might be considered better than no spuds at all!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 18:57 »
I don't rate the flavour of SM very highly at all, but I always grow them as I know I can depend on a crop in a blight-ridden year.

fatbelly

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 19:53 »
I'm looking for another Variety of Maincrop to grow along with my favourite of Desiree.
Ambo looks good but how are they against Slugs?
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 20:02 »
Not bad at all, hardly got a hole in mine this year.

A couple of years ago I grew them and Picasso. Picasso were decimated, but the Ambo almost unscathed.

fatbelly

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 20:29 »
Thanks DD, I will give them a whirl next season. 1 x 30 ft row will be my tester, I have learnt over the seasons & from this forum that its not just about the Variety of Spud you choose, its about finding the right spud for your own Soil and conditions.

fatbelly

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 11:46 »
Does anyone know a on-line supplier that sells Ambo. I have tried JBA but they don't have them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 11:52 »
Obviously out of stock at the mo., but these do them:

http://www.thaxters.co.uk/ambo-seed-potatoes-3kg.html

as do these:

http://www.linscombe.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=45&P_ID=148

And whilst they don't say it on their site, my local nursery will post out if  you contact them:

http://www.brooksidenurseries.co.uk/

Grubbypaws

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 17:54 »
mmmm might try ambo next year. I have grown sarpo mira along with my much loved pink fir apple. Good yields and blight resistance but they are a little boring on the flavour front. I will probably now get a thousand protests from sarpo mira fans  ::)

Another suggestion is vivaldi. I know that it is classed as a second early but when I grew it year before last it was incredibly versatile and kept well . I couldnt get any this year but will certainly try next.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member

xx
100 spud questions

Started by Jo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 14:19
by WG.
xx
sorry more spud questions

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:45
by Robin Redbreast
xx
silly spud questions

Started by chickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:21
by chickchick
xx
Strawberry Experiment Results & Related Questions

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 21:43
by dmg

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 37 queries.