sprout leaves

• 7 Replies

jondav

sprout leaves
« on: September 27, 2013, 20:52 »
My sprout plants this season seem to have failed to produce any good sprout buttons, however the leaves look extremely green and healthy, My question is, is there any reason why I could,nt use the leaves as winter greens, they are the cabbage family after all, it would save wasting the plants.

Sparkyrog

Re: sprout leaves
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 20:56 »
It is normal to cut the top's off .After the Sprouts have finished ,they have plenty of time yet  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 20:39 »
The farmers around here grow lots of sprouts, and in Winter we can buy sprout tops to eat from our local greengrocers. They're the top 2 or 3 inches of the plant, where the leaves are still tender.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 22:55 »
Every bit of every brassica is perfectly good and lovely to eat. Except for the tougher parts, of course. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 14:57 »
Every bit of every brassica is perfectly good and lovely to eat. Except for the tougher parts, of course. :lol:
My first year of spouts (ugh- for hubby...) but I've seen conflicting advice.  One book says cut the tops early to promote big sprouts, another (John book) leave them until the end..... what do people advise?

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 16:45 »
Sound's like too richer soil. Cut down on feeding with a nitrogen based fertiliser

Totty

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 18:26 »
Too much nitrogen will cause the buttons to blow and not be nice and tight. If the plants are healthy, but yet to produce sprouts, it could just be that you have a later variety.

Totty

gobs

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 21:53 »
My first year of spouts (ugh- for hubby...) but I've seen conflicting advice.  One book says cut the tops early to promote big sprouts, another (John book) leave them until the end..... what do people advise?

I'm with John on this and this is not for the trademark( :lol:). I don't think any gardening job's worth it if it does not need doing, there is plenty to do anyway.

The tops make lovely tender greens in the winter/early spring  though.

xx
Cauliflower and sprout leaves

Started by rouge on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 16:20
by gobs
xx
Taking Off Sprout Leaves

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 14:17
by mumofstig
xx
Sprout leaves being eaten

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 16:26
by mumofstig
xx
Calabrese and sprout leaves

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 21:38
by shoozie

Page created in 0.785 seconds with 27 queries.