Duck pond ideas

• 14 Replies

Debbieta

Duck pond ideas
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:28 »
Hi BobE and everyone else :D
I just love this forum, ask one question and it becomes a coffee morning group with loads of conversations happening at once  :D  :D.
I love the pond idea, but not given the weather at the moment as the ground is rock hard and then some :(
We have got cracks in the heavy clay of a couple of inches in places so a digger isn't really an option either  ::)
Plus OH has lots of DIY on the go at the moment so starting more livestock wouldn't go down too well.
Having said that I must take photos of our 11 chicks of 2 1/2 weeks old and our 4 4 week old chicks, soo cute, so OH is a pushover really, but not about to push my luck :D.
Thanks for all the info though, when we get round to it will probably look at a pond approx 12 ft x 20 ft.  Would it be worth putting an 'island' in the middle (like the tyre idea, lots of local farms around so might be able to get some 'big' ones!
Here we go again,  I'm sitting comfortably for the replies  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Ta
Debbie

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Duck pond ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35 »
I have moved this post from 'Quiet ducks' on to a topic of its own so that people can reply and find it easily in a search.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Debbieta

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:00 »
Many thanks and much appreciated.
Debbie

Debbieta

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 21:22 »
Hi,
Thanks for the offer but . . . eggs wanted, so I guess females it will have to be!!!
However, it will be a while yet as 'other' diy is still ongoing to no time to sort.
Idea would be to have our spare shed enclosed by a run with a 'paddling pool' but also
want a pond dug, partially for general nature but also  for when we let them out. Am looking for the pond to be approx 15 x 20 ish, but as we are on hard clay will need to use a digger.  I am assuming that because it is about 8ft above the water table (small river runs down edge of small lower garden) will need to use a pond liner.
Roll on the autumn!!!
Thanks
Debbie

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:54 »
Unless it is a large pond you will not have much 'nature' in it if there are ducks on it - they will strip it. You would also need to use a very strong liner as ducks tend to trash flexible liners, so the solid type may be an option. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Debbieta

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57 »
Hi BobE
Already have large weeping willow and seat next to river.
Will have to think about the seriously brilliant project and how to break it to OH.
Also the 'engineering' side of things as have never gone down the pond route before
so know nothing of the practicalities of maintaining one.

Sassy,
Said ducks would only have occasional access to pond area (I'm thinking!) might even net/wire
off a section to stop duck access so wildlife would get a retreat!

Still lots of ideas and thinking going on, so any advice and ideas welcome!!!

Thanks,
Debbie

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:08 »
If the river was strong enough you wouldn't need a liner.  Just a big wide hole, the river would keep it full.  Thats how nature does it.

I believe you need permissions for diverting a water course.  It could also cause flooding if no liner is used, not all types of clay will hold water completely.  It would be best to seek professional advice and also find out the legalities.

The more research done in the planning stage the better your pond will be so take your time to gain as much knowledge as you can.  If you are a little impatient you could always use a small preformed pond to start with and attract the wildlife while you are creating your master plan.   If you place it close to where you want your large pond you can always make it in to a bog garden once your project is complete.  ;)

Debbieta

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:45 »
Heee Heeeee,
Just as well the OH doesn't read this, he would have a heart attach, although having a pond was his idea when I suggested ducks!!!
Just to clarify the river is on a lower level to where the pond is intended by (I guess) 8 foot or so  (or is that 2 metres nowadays!).  So using it for the purposes of the pond wouldn't work as the ducks will be on the 'upper' level.  Especially as the 'side garden' has flooded in the past, so don't want the headache every time the river level begins to rise of worrying if the ducks might be in danger!
Also as a thought, if the shed (8 x 6ft) was adapted accordingly would chickens and ducks house together.  The reason I ask is that I'm bringing along a new batch of hens for egg laying but will have an 'excess' of older hens (Mmmm!) around the possible duck housing time, so could I rehome with the ducks if pen area was made big enough!!!  Often seen them mingling in many a photo!
Debbie

Debbieta

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55 »
That could be a problem ! ! !
I don't think they come with a satnav to get them home again.  It's bad enough if we order a takeaway!
 :lol: :lol:
Debbie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55 »
ducks and chickens really need separate houses - as ducks don't perch and run the risk of getting pooped on every night.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 13:17 »
Here is what the Environment Agency have to say about taking water from streams, rivers etc.

Debbieta

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 14:22 »
Don't worry guys, not about to redirect the river !!!!

If I was to do the same as my other chicken shed and have a perch with a poop shelf (about 20" wide, could even be a bit wider) underneath, possibly on different side, would that potentially be ok?

Just trying to get best value from space!

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 16:08 »
Don't worry guys, not about to redirect the river !!!!

If I was to do the same as my other chicken shed and have a perch with a poop shelf (about 20" wide, could even be a bit wider) underneath, possibly on different side, would that potentially be ok?

Just trying to get best value from space!

You could do a coop within the shed with removable access panels for cleaning and an external pop hole and ramp. 

Helenaj

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 20:31 »
ducks and chickens really need separate houses - as ducks don't perch and run the risk of getting pooped on every night.

Very true - and ducks tend to pull feathers of hens roosting above them, so you'll have bare bottomed ladies!   :tongue2:

Debbieta

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 21:21 »
In the current hen shed the poop shelf is around 20+ inches off the floor with the perch about 8 inches above that.  Hopefully that would discourage the ducks considering going near the hens!,  to awkard a space to get to :D :D
Debbie

xx
Need ideas for a duck pond

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:23
by joyfull
xx
Duck pond has gone green, any ideas to clear

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 22:01
by muntjac
xx
Duck pond nearly there

Started by slowef on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 22:33
by Foxy
xx
Duck Pond Water

Started by Fire2920 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 16:04
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 29 queries.