Cockerel a bit under the weather

• 5 Replies

Laine21

Cockerel a bit under the weather
« on: July 28, 2013, 22:04 »
My beautiful 2year old Pekin cockerel is a bit under the weather. He has also lost some weight and is not feeling upto enjoying his role as the only guy in the hen house as he usually does. He is spending a fair amount of time sitting down, I know the weather has been hot and sticky, but he is the only one who is not quite right, if you know what I mean.

We spotted mites last week for the first time and have been blasting the runs and coops with the jet washer and treating everywhere with the diatomaceous powder, including nest box, bedding and the areas outside in the garden where they like to dust bathe.

All the chooks have been vaccinated for mareks, we purchased some growers 3 years ago, and they arrived infected with Mareks, most of them died within weeks,  so were advised whenever we hatch or get any chicks to vaccinate them. The vaccine for mareks has a very distinctive aroma, well I think so. Today when I picked the cockerel up to check him, I could definitely smell the same aroma on him.

Having had young chickens die from mareks we know what to look for, he is showing some signs,  listlessness, and a little confusion, and is not getting into the food as he used to do, even the hens are shoving in front of him....and he s letting them! His wings are also slightly drooped.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice? Even though he was vaccinated, could he still get ill with mareks?

Laine

Sassy

Re: Cockerel a bit under the weather
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45 »
Unfortunately vaccines do not work 100% of the time and he still could get Mareks. I don't know whether or not a vaccine would work on a bird already caryying the disease. Sorry I cannot be of more help :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50 »
sorry your boy is unwell. Yes a vaccinated bird can still get Mareks sadly.
You say you found mites - were these redmites? Blasting your run with a jet washer will not get rid of them but simply move then to a different part of your garden, they will then simply crawl back into your coop. You need to either use an industrial steam cleaner or use Poultry Shield. and repeat this process every few days until they are gone.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 13:45 »
The classic symptom of Mareks is the splay legs and a creeping paralysis? The first thing we noticed about our cockerel who died of Mareks was that he started to limp and this got gradually worse over a week (because he was quite aggressive it took us a few days to get near him to check if he had damaged his leg). I don't remember a particular smell though - can you describe it Laine?

Laine21

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50 »
We have treated the runs and coups with poulty shield, have sprinkled liberally the spots where they dust bath in the garden with diatomaceous earth, have also used this inside the coups in the fresh bedding and all around the coup and have laid new paving, after treating the soil under the flags as well. We have cleaned the coups twice in the last 8 days, and it will be done again later today.
I have a steam cleaner, so will try that one today as part of the cleaning, thank you. There are still a few, but not many, but I know their breeding cycle is a very short one, so need to keep on top of it.

The smell on him is like nothing else apart from the vaccine itself, and that really does not smell like anything else, it is so pungently distinctive.  We have had others die from Mareks, as mentioned earlier we bought in some growers who unfortunately had it, most of whom died over a period of time. We have vaccinated all chicks born since, and the cockerel was one of them. All the others are fine, no symptoms at all. We had 2 of the original lot that displayed the same lethargic symptoms as he is doing now, they then got confused before getting limp and not wanting to walk or eat.
We are giving them all extra supplements as a booster, especially as some of them are in their moulting phase.

Laine

Laine21

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:45 »
sorry your boy is unwell. Yes a vaccinated bird can still get Mareks sadly.
You say you found mites - were these redmites? Blasting your run with a jet washer will not get rid of them but simply move then to a different part of your garden, they will then simply crawl back into your coop. You need to either use an industrial steam cleaner or use Poultry Shield. and repeat this process every few days until they are gone.

We are spraying in and around the walk in run, but the chooks get to free range in the garden, would you recommend spraying other areas where they go?
Laine

xx
Cockerel under the weather, eaten something?

Started by basildog on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 10:16
by joyfull
xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders
xx
Cockerel

Started by turners on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 01:09
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Little Cockerel

Started by RobfromDeal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 14:57
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 37 queries.