Worming advice anyone please?

• 12 Replies

lucyeff

« on: December 30, 2007, 17:32 »
Hi everyone, hope you are all having a great Christmas break and happy new year!!

It's time to worm our 3 ISA browns for the first time, I remember someone mentioning Flubenvet?? Does anyone buy this over the net cheaply by any chance? It seems quite dear  :shock: but I guess it's for a few uses.

If anyone has any advice on the type of wormer, where to get it cheap and how best to go about it I'd really appreciate it! I'm worried about getting them to take the right dose each, etc, as the chooks grub time is pretty much like the January sales rather than an organised affair... :roll:

Thanks in advance - sorry if it's a daft question but I've only ever wormed dogs and that's pretty easy when you have a piece of cheese (/anything remotely edible infact) and a packet of Bob Martins or whatever,  :lol:

Best wishes

Lucy

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 18:37 »
have a look here

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348

i use flubenvet and get it from the vet

westie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 18:54 »
We got ours from the local vets. They didn't have a clue about dosages so we had to work it out for ourselves. It was one 15ml spoonful in their feed everyday for 7 days. That was enough for 4 chickens.

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 18:57 »
hi

we wormed ours a few weeks ago and used flubenvet and got it from bestpet pharmacy, it was just over £15.00 for a 240g tub and that will last you ages, we had 10 to worm and put a small pinch on half a grape (they had half a grape each) and they gobbled them down with no problems, I didnt bother going to the vet because it will probably be more expensive, we wormed for 7 consecutive days and you can still eat the eggs when you worm with flubenvet, I got all the info I needed off this forum.

:D
pauline

TRACKS

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 19:23 »
:D Hi Lucy
i use this for my chucks Diatoaceous Earth
just sprinkel in with layers pellets
you can also sprinkel it on beading in chuck house as it kills red mite
aswell
only £4 for 500 grm from feed shop at selby cattel market :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 20:14 »
Hi Lucy flubenvet is the one you want, off the top of my head it's the only one I can think of thats suitable for ALL types of worm in poultry. As mentioned before Bestpet pharmacy online is the cheapest way to purchase it as far as I know.

Check out Babe's link above and you won't go far wrong
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 20:24 »
The only treatment I would recomment is flubenvet.  Diatomacious earth MAY reduce gut worm burden but will have NO effect on gape worm which can kill birds very quickly  :!:

Fat Hen

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 23:34 »

sue.hole

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 17:32 »
I'm using VERM X granules at the moment. They say you have to do it every month, but i don't. I put one scoope per bird into their daily bowl of mash and it's no problem. you do it for 3 days. If you don't feed a mash type of food, then i can see it could be difficult, unless you put it on a treat like half a grape or something, but not every hen is fussed on grapes. most will go for melon. Has anyone got any sort of rating for the Verm X ?
SAH

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 17:37 »
As I've just said in another thread Sue.  Verm-x is a herbal mixture and needs to be used frequently as it does not kill all the worms and has no effect on lung worm.  

Flubenvet is a much better product to use for the safety of your hens.  There is no egg withdrawal time for it too.

sue.hole

VERM X
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 18:12 »
Thanks for that. I only switched to verm x because i thought you could not use eggs when using the flubenvet. It's a chemical right, so any side effects ? ( for hens or egg consumers). Anyway - I've  now ordered some Flubenvet from Hyperdrug, so can start using it right away if that is best.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: VERM X
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 18:21 »
Quote from: "sue.hole"
Thanks for that. I only switched to verm x because i thought you could not use eggs when using the flubenvet. It's a chemical right, so any side effects ? ( for hens or egg consumers)..

There's never been a withdrawal time for eggs.  And I've never noted any side effects with my hens.  But all hen keepers should use what they are happiest with.

Flubenvet contains flubendazole which has no egg withdrawal time

Panacur contains fenbendazole which has quite a long withdrawal time

Some people use verm-x or Ivermectin and some use Diatom, which help with round worm (not sure about tape worm) but none of which will treat lung worm.  

Do have a look through the worming sticky:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348

lucyeff

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 19:21 »
Thanks everyone!

I too thought that egg wastage was part and parcel of worming, good news that's not the case - it seems a shame to chuck eggs away after the chooks have gone to all that effort!  :shock:  :D

I thionk just to be safe we'll go with the flubenvet, I was tempted with diatom but I'd feel better knowing all the types of worm had been treated.

Thanks again, and happy new year everyone!!  :D  :D  :D

Lucy

xx
Advice on worming please

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 21:25
by poultrygeist
xx
Worming advice

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 20:08
by joyfull
xx
Worming advice

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 08:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
worming advice please

Started by arty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:06
by Sassy

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.