Advice on worming please

• 10 Replies

tuffty

Advice on worming please
« on: January 20, 2009, 19:58 »
I have 12 Black Rock Chickens (14 weeks old). Could someone please tell me how and how often to work them. Also they are on Growers Pellets at the moment, should l be giving them grit as well.
Many thanks. :?

Molly Hen

Advice on worming please
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 20:15 »
So your planning on working them.... down the mine or on the land  :?:
Sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, just made me giggle when I read it.  Pictured little hens in wellies, going off to work with a picnic :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry can't help on worming advise, but I feed mine pellets and they have mixed grit and oyster shell.  They take the grit and oyster shell as they need it but I believe the pellets have grit in as well.  I think it depends on how much greenery they get to eat.

I also give my girls a handful of corn on an evening as well which they love me for :lol:

Vember

Advice on worming please
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 20:43 »
Have you had them from chicks Tuffty?
Have they been on the same ground since then?
Any other chucks been on any of the ground they have been on?

I tend to do mine once a year - did them twice last year though as had new birds in March then noticed in Sept signs in my older birds :)

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

Advice on worming please
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 20:48 »
Linke Molly says, you should always offer poultry grit as well as pellets so they can digest any greens or corn, etc.
The oyster shell or another calcium supplement can be either in with the grit or separate.

I think the general opinion is not to worm too young, unless you notice any problems, but if they're on the same ground all the time, it's best to do routinely maybe once a year.

Rob 8)

tuffty

Worming advice please
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 22:25 »
Hi Everyone, Molly Hen - I too could not stop laughing when l realised what l had written. Don't know when my mind was. :lol:  Won't live that one down will l.

I have had my chicks for 6 weeks now and they are kept on the same ground at the moment. I am planning another run for them in the spring so they can have a change of ground. I think the ground they are on has not been used for 12mths at least for chickens. Not sure as it is a new allotment for us.

I also give my girls some fresh greens every morning which they really enjoy.

thanks for all you advice everyone.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice on worming please
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:58 »
talking about same ground - mine have a run and they're let out of it during the day to wander around a fairly large area - will i have to alternate this area at all then?  The run and house will be moved when the run ground gets worn out anyway. :)

tuffty

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 19:59 »
Hi Chookster

I just extended my existing run in the end as it was easier. I think it is better for the chickens if you can have two separate runs. If you have the option of moving the coop on to fresh ground - even better. I don't have that option as my coop is a coverted shed which is so old l think it would fall apart if l tried to move it.

Am thinking about building another run alongside the original one though.

Tuffty
PS Just starting to get eggs off my girls and it is so exciting to go and collect them. The only problem being they all want to use the same nest box.!!! Solution - have provided them with 1 large nest box instead of 4 separate ones and my 12 hems are now very happy.  :)

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 17:07 »
aaaw bless - it's like magic when eggs appear i think LOL

I have 5 chickens now but currently only getting one egg a day so far.  The other people I work with are reluctant to eat them - I suspect they're worried about being ill etc.  They're delicious!

dianemk73

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 18:15 »
I personally wouldnt give them grit until they are laying. I also give corn pm as well

tuffty

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 21:22 »
Hi Chookster

I have the oposite problem with the eggs l am getting off my girls. I have got so many people wanting my eggs l am taking advance bookings. Have told my girls they will have to up the production a bit.  My girls are known as the "5 star chickens".

I just love looking after them even without the eggs l am now getting. They just love their greens and a bit of apple in the morning, corn in the afternoon and plenty of layers pellets when they want them. They also have 2 drinkers - 1 automatic and my young gentle cockerel Andy loves a deep drink so l have got a nice big  bowl of water which is changed twice a day for him. No wonder they are laying well.   :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 21:25 »
I personally wouldnt give them grit until they are laying. I also give corn pm as well

WHy would you not give grit diane ?

Surely the grit should be offered so they can digest the corn and any greens, etc ?

Rob 8)

xx
Worming advice anyone please?

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 19:21
by lucyeff
xx
worming advice please

Started by arty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:06
by Sassy
xx
Worming Advice

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 10:23
by Sassy
xx
Worming advice

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 08:22
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 36 queries.