Worming Advice

• 2 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Worming Advice
« on: October 08, 2013, 16:27 »
 Not for me of course I know these things  :D but I was going through some older emails tidying up and came across a newsletter from a local poultry supplier and here it is...

"Worms

Worms are one of the biggest threats to livestock and poultry. So easily picked up, yet so debilitating if not treated. For many years now we have recommended worming hens, ducks and geese on a regular basis to make sure they are always in the clear.

Now, the advice is changing. There are sheep farmers in Scotland that can no longer farm sheep. Why, because the resistance to worming medication is building up, it’s growing at such a rapid rate that ‘Animal Health Advisors’ (SQP) and Vets are changing the advice given out to customers. The new advice is ‘only worm when you need to’.  This will stop the resistance to worming drugs growing and we will continue to have efficacy in the drugs when we need to use them"

Now I have looked around DEFRA and other forums etc and not really come across this sort of so called new way of thinking tho like anti-biotics I can see the logic.

Has anyone else come across this?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ehs284

Re: Worming Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 19:45 »
This is a good explanation aimed at Welsh farmers:
http://www.hccmpw.org.uk/medialibrary/publications/Wormer%20resistance_1.pdf

I think basically that "When you need to" means when the faecal egg count is high or in specific circumstances, not the same as "when you're having problems"

Sassy

Re: Worming Advice
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23 »
This has been ongoing advice in the equine world for several years now. The best prevention for worms is good hygiene, lots of space and change the space to rest the land. This is not possible for everyone unfortunately. You will probably find that that the report refers to a particular active ingredient in the sheep wormer that the worms have become resistant to. With hens there is only the choice of one wormer and so it should be used with care but worms must be taken seriously for the ongoing health of the hens :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
worming advice please

Started by arty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:06
by Sassy
xx
Advice on worming please

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 21:25
by poultrygeist
xx
Worming advice

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 08:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Worming advice anyone please?

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 19:21
by lucyeff

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 29 queries.