What dont you grow?

• 40 Replies

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: What dont you grow?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 16:10 »
Seeing as it's our first year we're attempting most things except runner beans and beetroot, which we don't like.

So far everything is going really well, I'm not holding out much hope for the carrots and snips because the soil wasn't prepared well enough but they've germinated and they're growing!

m1ckz

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 18:29 »
main crop potatoes :ohmy:

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 19:23 »
Just growing what we eat regularly this year after trying lots of stuff last year.

Main things I decided not to bother with Cauliflour (made a couple of nice cauliflour cheeses last year but I am the only one who likes it, and there were too many slugs), Cabbage (but I suspect my PSB leaves will do instead of those...?), Swede (might try them next year properly netted..caterpillars mangled them last year then they got waterlogged), sweetcorn ( got a few in this year but had 2 beds worth last year and nice as they were most got fed to the chickens), spinach / perpetual spinach (gets nibbled too much...maybe next year under cover), Fennel bulbs...slugs ate all teh seedlings last year). Beetroot grow very well on my plot but I find them too much of a palaver to eat...though have a couple of ssmall rows this year to eat with balsamic vinegar salt and pepper.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 21:55 »
Potatoes are too cheap and I don't like new ones and cabbage , prefer kale so I can pick a few laeves at a time.

I will have a go at most other things.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

JohnB47

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 22:16 »
Hair on me head, it seems.  :tongue2:

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:38 »
I have actually grown a few caulies but they were a bit of an insult to a decent shop caulie,so never again  :lol:

Madame cholet how can you not like new potatoes  :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 04:00 »
I've always vowed never to grow the intrusive Jerusalem artichokes. It wasn't until this year that I discovered that the very tall yellow flowering plants I grow by the clothesline post are actually J.A.'s!! Only discovered that when I had to pull out some that were invading a daylily  and up came a crop of fat JA tubers. :dry:

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 06:41 »
I don't grow potatoes & peas, essentially because the yield vs. space taken doesn't measure up for me. I like bulk crops which I can save for winter or sell any excess if I can't use it all.

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29 »
I've not had slugs bother with my lettuce or spinach. Lucky me  :tongue2:

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 10:42 »
I won't be planting red onion sets again next year - bloomin things just bolt and turn woody.

Same here  :(
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

heloise

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 11:05 »
I don't bother with peas for the same reason as rowan57 - too much space, too little yield. Cauliflowers aren't on the list either, although I have managed them before the worry is not outweighed by the end result  :( I've also given up on aubergines for the same reasons - they're not worth the effort.
We've also decided this year to only grow climbing french beans and not runners, as they seem to go tough very quickly unless you pick them everyday when they're in full flow, which isn't always possible. Hence we've ended up with bags of runners in the freezer that we can't quite face  :(

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 12:09 »
Id like to only grow french beans myself heloise but in a bad summer id end up with hardly any beans ,so i always grow runners as well and try to pick them young for the freezer.

devon

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 13:42 »
Took me five years to grow my first aubergine . Very pleased when I saw the flower base swelling and didn't it
taste lovely. Next challenge spring onions

seaside

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 14:28 »
I'm going to have to stop growing so many brassicas. they certainly take up too much room. Kale all year, spinach, red cabbage and PSB is all I really want, not every single brassica known to man.
I will learn  :)
Chard and Pak choi nein danke.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 16:39 »
I thought that so I started searching out compact brassicas.  I've found plenty of little cabbages and even mini caulis but so far not a calabrese.  Compact savoy "Samantha" is now a firm fave.  Hispi cabbage is brill and I'd urge you to give it a whirl

I agree.  Hispi Cabbage is great, quite compact and fast growing.  We don't grow broad beans as we don't really like them.  I'll give anything else a go  :lol:

xx
which veg dont like each other

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 16:57
by crackedflowerpots
xx
Well! you dont get if you dont ask!

Started by Epona_4 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 09:10
by mumofstig
xx
dont know what to plant

Started by greenfingered on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 17:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Sorry water, i just dont get it

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 22:31
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 29 queries.