dont know what to plant

• 12 Replies

greenfingered

dont know what to plant
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:24 »
i got my allotment 2 months ago and so far i have dug out 2 plots but now i dont know what i should plant.  i have planted some lettuces( which are growing well so im very proud of myself :D  and some carrots (only got 1 so not so proud of myself :( )

whats the best thing to plant this time of year?

WG.

dont know what to plant
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:28 »
Hi
Maybe you could post a list of all the veg which you buy a lot of?  Then folks can reply accordingly :?:

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Re: dont know what to plant
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:35 »
Quote from: "greenfingered"
i got my allotment 2 months ago and so far i have dug out 2 plots but now i dont know what i should plant.  i have planted some lettuces( which are growing well so im very proud of myself :D  and some carrots (only got 1 so not so proud of myself :( )

whats the best thing to plant this time of year?

When I was deciding what to grow I wrote a list of all the veg we eat and like (basically everything) and then which of the list was most expensive to buy in the shops.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
dont know what to plant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:44 »
Beans, beans and more beans.

The price you pay for them in supermarkets and the ease with which you can grow them bear no comparison.

Then there's the brassicas, you should be able to get hold of cabbage, brussel, cauli........ etc at a decent nursery.

I could go on!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
dont know what to plant
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:56 »
Tomatoes and peas!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

dawninspain

dont know what to plant
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 13:06 »
Definitely tomatoes - there is no comparison between homegrown and shop bought.

Dawn

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
dont know what to plant
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 13:08 »
agree about the beans, especially if you have a large freezer, you can then eat them all winter. sweetcorn is a must, i don't like sweetcorn from the shops but homegrown is so different even i will eat it.

David.

dont know what to plant
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 14:57 »
Don't forget flowers for cutting. Just picked my first Sweet William - seems a bit late. Still time to plant sunflowers.

tomato-joy

dont know what to plant
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 16:46 »
oh, tomatoes for sure. Potatoes as well.

Do you have a greenhouse? This will increase the type of plants you can grow. (Aubergines, chilli peppers, sweet peppers, cucumbers etc)

And I really recommend some dwarf sunflowers to look cheery.
trying to be organic...

Annie

dont know what to plant
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 17:52 »
Retry carrots,you can scoop the soil out in a line,water the bottom of it,fill with compost,sow the carrot seed and water carefully then use whatever slug deterrent you like.You will easily be able to see where the weeds are and this usually works for all kind of direct sown seed.Don`t forget all the little plants available in the garden centers at the moment as well as seeds.Let us know how you get on.It does the morale no end of good getting things growing so congrats on the lettuce,apart from a few loose leaves mine are looking very poor!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
dont know what to plant
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 20:47 »
You'll feel great when you harvest courgettes every other day till the frosts. One or two plants will be plenty and are easy to grow, you can put seed in growing spot now or buy plants from garden centre.

Try and make room for a herb bed, this you can develop over a few years . Basil is easy to grow from seed in pots and can be planted into soil later .Dont put mint in the open ground though because it will spread everywhere, I grow it in a bucket with holes in the bottom, this is sunk into the ground and every year i dig out the bucket and trim the roots then put it back in its hole.

Prepare some ground to plant garlic in Sept to be harvested next July.

Leeks are another easy and useful veg,look for plants I think its a bit late to sow seed.

French and Runner Beans seeds definitely and you are not too late to sow carrot, turnip, swede , spinach,swiss chard,beetroot.

A lot depends on how much time you have to sow,weed and water if necessary.
Good Luck !
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

anatomick

dont know what to plant
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 16:54 »
The first thing to think of is "what do I like to eat"

Then within that there are three added benefits in no particular order
1. Things that taste completely different from Supermarket stuff - Sweetcorn, tomatoes, wild rocket, carrots. (has the added benefit that anyone invited to dinner also thinks you are a good cook as well)
2. things that are really expensive in the shops - herbs (how I laugh when I walk past the tiny bunches for £2.50 in the supermarket), strawberries, aubergines, garlic, squashes.
3. things you eat a lot of - salads, potatoes, spinach and other leafy stuff, parsnips, beetroot, courgettes and lots of diferent beans. That way you get the satisfaction of knowing you grew at least part of every meal for the longest time!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
dont know what to plant
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 17:11 »
Winter cabbage can be sown up to the end of May, and Spring cabbage, sow in July!

And can I repeat, beans, beans and more beans!!!!! lol.  courgettes if you like them.  Many carrot varieties can be planted up to July too,
I think it may be a bit late to sow tomatoes now, but tomato plants are still around, like the others say, you just cannot compar fresh own grown tomatoes with those tasteless watery things you get in the shops!!!!

Whereabouts are you?  If you put your location on your profile, we'll know what part of the world you are in!!!

xx
which veg dont like each other

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 16:57
by crackedflowerpots
xx
Well! you dont get if you dont ask!

Started by Epona_4 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 09:10
by mumofstig
xx
Dont go on your holidays...

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 09:29
by Beetroot queen
xx
Sorry water, i just dont get it

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 22:31
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.653 seconds with 37 queries.