Hosepipe watering

• 16 Replies

kdg030

Hosepipe watering
« on: June 07, 2013, 19:28 »
Hi Guys and girls, I have a question for you. We are lucky enough to have our allotment, for which we waited 28 years on the list, whilst our local council decided if they could afford the fences, at the bottom (ish) of our garden. I have enough hosepipe to reach it from my garden tap, I need to know if I am allowed to water the plot this way, personally, I reckon I probably waste less by using my little jet spray, than 20 cans, there is no ban on hosepipes in our area. Ps I read a lot of allotment gardening books in those 28 years lol. Now we are having sooooo much fun, have just eaten our first kelvedon wonder pea, just three each, but oh my, what a taste. Thanks a million for any help.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hosepipe watering
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 21:30 »
I don't see why not - you're paying for the water via rates / meter.

And yes, the first taste of peas never fails to put a smile on your face!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 21:33 »
Assuming your tap is connected to the mains, you'd be killing all the beneficial microbes in your soil by watering with chlorinated water. IMO collect rain water and reap the many rewards of having a thriving microbe population in your soil.

Of course, you'll have to stay away from chemical feeds too, but once your population of microbes is at a healthy level (if it's not already), you won't have to feed much anyway since the soil will do it for you for the most part. Just dig in compost/manure, plus the occasional feed with comfrey/nettle tea, and you'll have lots of veggies without having to spend money on chemicals or water (if you're metered).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 21:45 »
Assuming your tap is connected to the mains, you'd be killing all the beneficial microbes in your soil by watering with chlorinated water
Each to their own  ;)
If the thought of chlorine does bother you, then fill your own water butts with tap, water the chlorine evaporates off if you leave it to stand for a couple of days - you could then run soaker hoses from the butts if you wanted to  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 21:47 »
Assuming your tap is connected to the mains, you'd be killing all the beneficial microbes in your soil by watering with chlorinated water. IMO collect rain water and reap the many rewards of having a thriving microbe population in your soil.

Of course, you'll have to stay away from chemical feeds too, but once your population of microbes is at a healthy level (if it's not already), you won't have to feed much anyway since the soil will do it for you for the most part. Just dig in compost/manure, plus the occasional feed with comfrey/nettle tea, and you'll have lots of veggies without having to spend money on chemicals or water (if you're metered).

Thats fine if we get enough rain.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 22:36 »
Frankly I've been watering with tap water for years and years, and have had absolutely no ill effects on the plants whatsoever.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 22:38 »
Thats fine if we get enough rain.

Desperate times call for desperate measures - as mum says you could always leave a container filled with water from the mains to stand for a couple of days (with the lid off) so the chlorine evaporates  ;)

Alternatively - think ahead, and store enough water when it is wet to get you through the dry spells  :D

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 23:01 »
Frankly I've been watering with tap water for years and years, and have had absolutely no ill effects on the plants whatsoever.

A few years back, at my old house, I took over the maintenance of our back garden, starting off with installing extra water butts, and binning all the chemical feeds. A couple of summers before we moved out I looked out of my first floor bedroom window, and the difference between our garden and the neighbors gardens was plain to see - lush growth in ours and a beautiful green lawn, but the neighbors who both watered with a hose/tap had big brown patches of lawn and the plants looked no where near as lush.

So whilst there might be no ill effects (apart from some dead grass), I have little doubt that plants do better when the soil micro-herd is nurtured rather than decimated!

Plants have evolved over 100's of millions of years as part of an ecosystem where the microbes in the soil feed them - why mess with it if the system works IMO.

kdg030

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 06:07 »
Thanks all for the prompt and lively response, I think our standpipes in the allotment are connected to the same main as my house, so we have already been watering with tap water, but I hear what you are saying.

salmonking

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 07:57 »
Assuming your tap is connected to the mains, you'd be killing all the beneficial microbes in your soil by watering with chlorinated water
Each to their own  ;)
If the thought of chlorine does bother you, then fill your own water butts with tap, water the chlorine evaporates off if you leave it to stand for a couple of days - you could then run soaker hoses from the butts if you wanted to  :lol:

:) ;) :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 08:07 »
Presumably, CG, there is also peer-reviewed science you can point us to?  :)

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 10:21 »
Well Yorkie, it is only my own anecdotal experience, so no, I don't have any links to papers on the the subject I can post... but if I get a chance later I'll see if I can find something  :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 12:17 »
Now now children, each to their own.

Totty

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 15:38 »
All but one of my greenhouses are always watered with tap water. The plants seem to quite like it to be honest. ;)

If I had to rely on catching rainwater to sustain all my plants, they would be dead in no time.

Totty

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 16:36 »
All but one of my greenhouses are always watered with tap water. The plants seem to quite like it to be honest. ;)

If I had to rely on catching rainwater to sustain all my plants, they would be dead in no time.

Totty

Mine too, no way i can catch enough for three plots, we dont have sheds on any to utillise the rain water.

xx
Hosepipe ban on the horizon, how to prepare?

Started by emptydraw on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 19:35
by JayG
xx
Hosepipe Ban Lifted For South East Water.

Started by getoffmyland on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 12:43
by Dopey113
xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 03, 2008, 15:57
by Steve.P

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 30 queries.